Project Freestyle

Got a Yamazuki or a Yamonda? This section is for those who are a little more creative...

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

thatkid

Re: Project Freestyle

Post by thatkid »

That kind of thing also drives me nuts, if anyone ever asks me to check out electrical faults, and i see something like that abortion i laugh and walk away, as you well know it takes bloody hours and lots of patciants. Good luck in retaining your sanity if you ain't already lost it.
haunter
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by haunter »

no doubt I HAAAAAAAAAAATE wiring!!
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

haunter wrote:no doubt I HAAAAAAAAAAATE wiring!!
Geez guys there is nothing simpler , a bit of wire goes from A to B put current in @ A it arrives at B if it doesn't then the wire's broke it doesn't get much simpler than that .
mrfreeze5
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by mrfreeze5 »

yamaha_george wrote:
haunter wrote:no doubt I HAAAAAAAAAAATE wiring!!
Geez guys there is nothing simpler , a bit of wire goes from A to B put current in @ A it arrives at B if it doesn't then the wire's broke it doesn't get much simpler than that .

Its even color coded :D
thatkid

Post by thatkid »

I think the point is, when some total moron has butchered the harness with any colour wire they can find, instead of localising the fault (open circuit) and repairing that. You have to think what else has he done! has he bypassed a relay/switch or other component? that's the reason i walk away, he screwed it up, im not prepared to spend hours repairing his f#'k up, then localise the the original fault. What if you miss one of his bodge jobs? wire insulation and harness tape are very flammable.

In this case it's Freestyle's bike so he had no option except to thoroughly repair the harness himself, hence the time and effort taken.
Freestyle72
Level 4.0
Level 4.0

Post by Freestyle72 »

For Haro pics as requested. The rear tire is up in the air because that's the position I want my swingarm to be lol until I can get my T6 aluminum tommorow to make my dog bones...

haro504
Level 7.5
Level 7.5

Post by haro504 »

looking good. are you gonna have any problems with the chain and kickstand with it that tall ive seen adjustable kick stands before they look pretty nice
ones life is the way it is only because you allow it make it happen.
i poop my pants i poop my pants
thatkid

Post by thatkid »

All i can say, looks damn awesome, love the angle/height your aiming for on the tail.

EDIT
haro504 wrote:looking good. are you gonna have any problems with the chain and kickstand with it that tall ive seen adjustable kick stands before they look pretty nice
Good point on the kickstand, mine has 30mm jack up dog bones, and the bike leans acutely when on the kickstand.
Freestyle72
Level 4.0
Level 4.0

Post by Freestyle72 »

The wheel is in the air guys, that's nto to say I won't need a new kickstand but I probably won't :)
thatkid

Post by thatkid »

Freestyle72 wrote:For Haro pics as requested. The rear tire is up in the air because that's the position I want my swingarm to be lol until I can get my T6 aluminum tommorow to make my dog bones...
Freestyle72 wrote:The wheel is in the air guys, that's nto to say I won't need a new kickstand but I probably won't :)
Yes but your making dog bones to keep the swinger @ that angle, which will in turn raise the height of the kickstand mount on the frame. Making the bike lean more acutely, and possibly unstable. Be a shame if it fell over after all your hard and brilliant work.
Freestyle72
Level 4.0
Level 4.0

Post by Freestyle72 »

This will better illustrate what I am talking about.
Made my own dog bones. Not the best looking dog bones, but they are actually thicker (read WAY thicker in both axis) than the stock GSXR750 ones and are made from T6 6061 aluminum so I think they will be ok.

This is the final stance of the bike. The stock kickstand is at the perfect height, so this tells me I haven't lost/gained any height in the bike (someone correct me if I am wrong).

haro504
Level 7.5
Level 7.5

Post by haro504 »

nice work now i wish i used a 400 frame i guess ill never be happy with what i got
ones life is the way it is only because you allow it make it happen.
i poop my pants i poop my pants
Freestyle72
Level 4.0
Level 4.0

Post by Freestyle72 »

I stripped the tank today. Guess I gotta paint it quick before it rusts on me.

Freestyle72
Level 4.0
Level 4.0

Post by Freestyle72 »

Ok got my coolant resevoir done. And basically done the headlight mount. Just gotta cut off the extra material. Also gotta think up how to mount up my ninja's turn signals.

Rad overflow hose shoved through bottle top I drilled a hole in.

Pour 5 minute epoxy on to hold it in place and keep it water tight.

Pulling the plug out, god bless the inventor of duct tape

Bottle mounted. This isn't the final mounting by any means, just getting a taste of what's to come. Any ideas on what to use to strap it to the bottom of the tail would be appreciated, because I need to do my remote resevoir in a similar fashion

Starting to look finished.

headlight mounted

Freestyle72
Level 4.0
Level 4.0

Post by Freestyle72 »

Going with gloss black on the tank. I am going to get a friend of a friend here to spray it for me.

I also ordered caswell tank repair phenol novasomethingorother epoxy should be here later this week.

When and got fasteners and spacers for my rearsets. These are the stock 400 rearsets, but I am looking for 05 06 GSXR1000 rearsets chinese or used what ever I want to spend under $150 on them so I'll wait for the right deal to come by.

So all that is left is to get my pod filters on. Solder the hand control wiring once I know my current set up will fire the engine up. Rear subframe mount gotta get welded. Get the tank back and coat it. Finish guage bracket I have no idea how I want to mount that yet. And that's it. She will be done.