Herculiner > Paint

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

xxtokesxx
Site Newbie

Herculiner > Paint

Post by xxtokesxx »

Well, I bought a Fizzer about 3 weeks ago... it has been a blast, but I'm just really disgruntled with how the previous owner (s) did some things on the bike. Nontheless I was riding the thing everywhere I could... Well recently I snapped a throttle cable and the bike has been down for a little bit so I figured any breakdown is an oppurtunity for an upgrade.

Before:

After: Well kind of... I just slapped the fairings on... I still have a few things to change, but the seat has been recovered by a good friend, and everything is super strong now :) Finished the Second Coat & used the Roller for the Textured Feel... I love it!!

Thanks for Looking :)

cad600
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Re: Herculiner > Paint

Post by cad600 »

That is an interesting look paint wise.

Glad you ditched the seats that came with it.
Yes, that is a Single Sided Swingarm FZR600 that I built.

Something is lurking, waiting, wanting to be built......It calls to me from the darkness....

I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel....Then I realize that it is the train coming to run my ass over....
ragedigital
4000+ Posts
4000+ Posts

Post by ragedigital »

Does the liner rub off on your clothes when it gets warm? Not sure where you live, but that has to be a HOT bike after being in the sun a bit.
Thanks for joining and participating in the most "active" FZR Community on the internet!
xxtokesxx
Site Newbie

Post by xxtokesxx »

ragedigital wrote:Does the liner rub off on your clothes when it gets warm? Not sure where you live, but that has to be a HOT bike after being in the sun a bit.
I just finished it yesterday... but no... Herculiner is meant to be durable. Once its cured It doesn't rub off and is pretty tough... it doesn't get malleable or gooey when its hot. You are right it will probably get warm... I live in Ohio so not too warm. I thought about maybe doing the red herculiner next summer if I get bored. It came out awesome though!

I still have to powdercoat my wheels and do some other things.
cad600
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by cad600 »

xxtokesxx wrote:I thought about maybe doing the red herculiner next summer if I get bored.
Good luck with that. I'm pretty sure that the only way to remove that stuff will melt the plastics as well. You'll be buying new plastics instead.
Yes, that is a Single Sided Swingarm FZR600 that I built.

Something is lurking, waiting, wanting to be built......It calls to me from the darkness....

I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel....Then I realize that it is the train coming to run my ass over....
xxtokesxx
Site Newbie

Post by xxtokesxx »

cad600 wrote:
xxtokesxx wrote:I thought about maybe doing the red herculiner next summer if I get bored.
Good luck with that. I'm pretty sure that the only way to remove that stuff will melt the plastics as well. You'll be buying new plastics instead.
You are right... chances are I would likely just over this base if I decided to do another herculiner color.
kilika2
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by kilika2 »

I bet it's going to be murder to wash. Bugs in every crevasse. But I bet there aren't any others like it.

Chris.
ImageImageImage
Before(5/5/09)_____________After(5/5/10)_____________Way After(8/1/10)

1995 FZR600 Sold :-(
2006 R1 Sold :-\
2009 Buell 1125R :-)
haunter
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by haunter »

Ive been thinking about doing that to the frame of my 600......
xxtokesxx
Site Newbie

Post by xxtokesxx »

kilika2 wrote:I bet it's going to be murder to wash. Bugs in every crevasse. But I bet there aren't any others like it.

Chris.
Could be right... who knows :) It's too late now too worry hehe. I was reading a bit on what they suggest to wash it with... its rough, but still impermeable to checmicals so they say if you use chemicals to loosen up dirt, etc, that it shouldn't be too bad. Maybe get like a brush and some soap or something. I guess well see... :cheers:

I will definitely post how it stands up over the next few seasons.
xxtokesxx
Site Newbie

Post by xxtokesxx »

haunter wrote:Ive been thinking about doing that to the frame of my 600......
It will look good... I'm waiting to see how the sun affects it down the road. They say it could fade, but they make a conditioner for it to bring back the luster. If it fairs well on the fairings I might take everything off and do the entire frame as well... The Original owner painted the frame black and didn't do too good of a job.

If you do it, just make sure to prep everything right... and keep in mind. if you don't like it - it might be a pain to remove.
haunter
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by haunter »

yeah a real PITA to remove Im sure

the lack serious prepwork compared to paint is what makes it tempting

I'd rather not take it much more apart than it is now(tank is off right now too and the front has rotors now :)).....
xxtokesxx
Site Newbie

Post by xxtokesxx »

haunter wrote:yeah a real PITA to remove Im sure

the lack serious prepwork compared to paint is what makes it tempting
Honestly, since the frame is powdercoated all you would need to do is make sure you sand it down a bit. If it were up to me though... and if I had the bike completely apart I would get it blasted & powdercoated. Since this is my first bike, i'm not all too concerned. You shouldn't have to do too much work though... i mean, its meant for truck beds and high traffic areas... it should be good. I'll let you know how it does this summer for sure... I'll leave the bike out on a hot day and see what the results are too.

My advice: I wouldn't bother doing herculiner unless you know for a fact you can get the roller in the places that will be seen while the bike is like you have it now... you can apply it with a brush, but the finish isnt as nice. The roller is what gives it the awesome bumped finish. Otherwise, with a brush it will still have the granular raised areas but not looks as sweet as the fairing pictures i showed.
haunter
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by haunter »

yeah you make some good points

I have enough to do already without doing more!!
FordFoxGT
Site Newbie

Post by FordFoxGT »

At least if you drop your bike there's a good chance of the plastics staying together and not breaking. I was looking into putting a bed liner like that on my truck a few years ago. They said that they used to cover cinder blocks and drop them off buildings to show how tough the liner was. How much weight did that add to the bike?
xxtokesxx
Site Newbie

Post by xxtokesxx »

I'm not sure, I did two pretty thick coats... Id say the can weighs 10lbs and I used a little over half. So I will guesstimate about 5 pounds or so...