91 FZR600 with no spark?

FZR600 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

yttaf
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Re: 91 FZR600 with no spark?

Post by yttaf »

Thanx for the diagram! I'll check that out in the morning. On a side note I checked the voltage at the coils with a full charged battery & got 11.24v for coil #2 & #3, 11.24 for #4 & .53 for #1
yttaf
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by yttaf »

ok pulled my stator today & found it was covered in oil??? There was oil no where else just on the stator & the pickup coil looks nasty! Plus the screws are stuck in the cover for the pickup coil & I can't get it out...
Fizzinatorr
Level 6.5
Level 6.5

Post by Fizzinatorr »

Time for an upgraded/new coil pack
8 Bikes so far...more coming too...Image

Finished my 2000 GSXR 750 -> Link here viewtopic.php?f=68&t=3617
thatkid

Post by thatkid »

yttaf wrote:I switched the wires around for the coil parks so I get spark on #1& #4, so that tells me both my coil packs are good, I'm just not getting any power to the 1 coil... What could possibly cause that?
what do you mean (no power)? i guessed you meant no voltage at the positive red/white cable of the coil for cylinders #1 & #4. if that wasn't the case, then by switching the wires, did you mean the connectors red/white orange, to red/white grey and visa versa? if so (since you have tried different Digital Igniter/TCI) check the continuity of the Orange cable/wire from coil #1 & #4 to the connector/plug on the TCI also the quality of the connections for corrosion.

I've found a few poor/corroded connectors on my bike (they are old bikes)
On a side note I checked the voltage at the coils with a full charged battery & got 11.24v for coil #2 & #3, 11.24 for #4 & .53 for #1
3 different readings? which cables/wires did you get the readings from? especially the .53v #1 reading?
yttaf
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by yttaf »

mawler wrote:
yttaf wrote:I switched the wires around for the coil parks so I get spark on #1& #4, so that tells me both my coil packs are good, I'm just not getting any power to the 1 coil... What could possibly cause that?
what do you mean (no power)? i guessed you meant no voltage at the positive red/white cable of the coil for cylinders #1 & #4. if that wasn't the case, then by switching the wires, did you mean the connectors red/white orange, to red/white grey and visa versa? if so (since you have tried different Digital Igniter/TCI) check the continuity of the Orange cable/wire from coil #1 & #4 to the connector/plug on the TCI also the quality of the connections for corrosion.

I've found a few poor/corroded connectors on my bike (they are old bikes)
On a side note I checked the voltage at the coils with a full charged battery & got 11.24v for coil #2 & #3, 11.24 for #4 & .53 for #1
3 different readings? which cables/wires did you get the readings from? especially the .53v #1 reading?
OK here is what I did... 1st I switched the connectors for the 2 coils. white to yellow & yellow to white then I would have spark on coil #1&4 instead of #2&3 when hooked up white to white & yellow to yellow. So I know my coil pack should be good if I get spark that way right? Then I checked voltage at the top of the coils & the red/white & grey wires all had 11.24v The orange had .53v So then I tested the grey wire at the cdi & it was 11.24v & the orange was .53v like the coil. I'll check for continuity on the orange wire tomorrow morning when I'm home

I pulled the wiring loom apart & found the splice for the red/white wires & they looked good but I'll still redo it & heat shrink it.
thatkid

Post by thatkid »

I was referring to the colour of the cables/wires going into the connectors (couldn't remember the colours of the connectors) by switching/swapping them (as you've done) looks like both coils are good.

Did you check the voltage at the grey and the orange wires (on the top of the coils), while both the TCI connectors where disconnected/unplugged at the TCI end? The low reading of .53v is puzzling.

Side note.

the Wiring Diagram is the best i've seen anywhere, easy to read and simple. it's not easily found (listed under "HOW-TO: Park / Turn signals" in the WIKI) deserves its own listing/heading in the WIKI imo
sweekster
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by sweekster »

mawler wrote:Side note.

the Wiring Diagram is the best i've seen anywhere, easy to read and simple. it's not easily found (listed under "HOW-TO: Park / Turn signals" in the WIKI) deserves its own listing/heading in the WIKI imo
You must have missed this (<--Click there, scroll down a bit) then.... :whistle
Duane...
Bike:
1994 Yamaha FZR 1000 EXUP
Factory Pro Stage 1 Jetting | K&N Filter | Corbin Seat | ProTek Keyless Gas Cap | GSXR Mirrors
My Thread
Cage:
2005 Saab 9-7x 5.3i Arc AWD

THE WIKI IS YOUR FRIEND
THE SEARCH IS YOUR SIGNIFICANT OTHER
USE THEM!!
thatkid

Post by thatkid »

yep ain't ventured that far yet :duh:

Thanks
yttaf
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by yttaf »

yeah I have that wiring diagram bookmarked so it's easy to find! lol
thatkid

Post by thatkid »

yeah but its in more than one place as sweekster pointed out :)
fzrrider
Site Newbie

Post by fzrrider »

does anyone know where i can get a cdi box for a 91 fzr 600 i have 9 prongs (wires) plz this is the ony thing i need to get my bike started bike is my first and i love it more then my girl pllz help.....
yttaf
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by yttaf »

PM "thatkid" he has all the parts you could ever want & more! At great prices also!