3/31/10 SHE FIRED. Runs funny, but finally.

FZR600 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

kilika2
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

3/31/10 SHE FIRED. Runs funny, but finally.

Post by kilika2 »

Still can't get the bike to fire, so I figure I probably screwed something up when I cleaned the carbs... I'm going to break them back down and check it out. But I was looking for my IMS when I discovered that I don't have any. Well not really I just don't have heads on them to adjust them.

*pics deleted to save space*

I know it's kinda tough to tell (bad quality pics) but they look like orafices for like gas furnaces instead of the phillips or allen screws they should be. I'm going to try and get one of those drill bits that is suppose to remove screws that you have stripped the heads off of. And THEN I'll look into the carbs again.

Chris.
Last edited by kilika2 on Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.
ImageImageImage
Before(5/5/09)_____________After(5/5/10)_____________Way After(8/1/10)

1995 FZR600 Sold :-(
2006 R1 Sold :-\
2009 Buell 1125R :-)
shredex
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Re: Found a problem with my idle mixture screws.

Post by shredex »

I believe all fzr's come like that new. When you find one without the caps its because someone already drilled it.
they are copper caps to prevent people from playing with them. you simply drill them out.
the screws are underneath the caps so be careful not to drill through the screws.
Jet kits come with the drill bit that is needed to drill out the caps.
kilika2
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Re: Found a problem with my idle mixture screws.

Post by kilika2 »

Sure enough, you were right, they were just caps. Drilled them out and there the IMS were. Now on to how I can't get the bike to fire.
ImageImageImage

kilika2
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Re: Shred fixed my IMS question, now can't get her to fire.

Post by kilika2 »

Well I found the IMS screws, but I took the carbs off to get back in there to see if I could figure out if I did something wrong when putting them back together. I didn't want to start a "won't start" thread because I wanted to be able to fix it just by doing research. No such luck. Checked, she's getting gas: pump works, spits gas out. She had plenty of battery, plugs and boots are great, .28 on the gap. Plugs were wet and chocolate colored. Didn't try the compression test that will be next too.

As far as the carbs. I put the needles back in the right order. The 107.5 is on the left in the bottom spot. The 52.5 is on the right. Needles are straight and the emulsion tubes are still perfect. When I did get the bike to fire it looked like the number 2 cyl carb wasn't working quite right. The black plastic part of the diaphram that goes around the needle wasn't moving back and forth. It would spit fire back out of the carbs at me if I would turn the gas just a little or if I poured gas into the carbs with the starting fluid (not too much) Also the number 3 carb would spit up on me out of the "lima bean" looking port. (sorry RR I know you told me once before what this was). The one that is just to the rear of the black diaphram cover.

So after getting the carbs apart I decided to check the float level. I've read 22mm is the stock for stock carbs. And I may have done this wrong but from what I could read I think mine are at about 25. I held them up like if they were in the bike and just put my gf's old ruler up to it. Carb 2 looked to be almost to 30mm. Here is a very bad picture for you to look at.

*PIC DELETED TO SAVE SPACE*

Bet you are wondering how both my hands are holding stuff and I took the pic huh?

That's all I have right now it's time for bed I have both jobs tomorrow.

Chris.
Last edited by kilika2 on Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage

shredex
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by shredex »

what does it do when you try and start it?
like what does it sound like?
Does it seem to want to turn over but doesn't?
Make sure the choke is on?
How long has it sat without running?
you might need to get a can of quick start fluid and spray it into the intake while trying to start it.
sweekster
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by sweekster »

Duane...
Bike:
1994 Yamaha FZR 1000 EXUP
Factory Pro Stage 1 Jetting | K&N Filter | Corbin Seat | ProTek Keyless Gas Cap | GSXR Mirrors
My Thread
Cage:
2005 Saab 9-7x 5.3i Arc AWD

THE WIKI IS YOUR FRIEND
THE SEARCH IS YOUR SIGNIFICANT OTHER
USE THEM!!
shredex
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by shredex »

sweekster wrote:Image
yup, thats what I did! works great!
kilika2
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by kilika2 »

Yeah I've seen that picture before, but the pic doesn't answer a lot. I think I've figured it out now. He has the carbs turned on their side, so the 24 mm is when the needle is at rest (all the way in the carbs correct?) And then it's not the purple lines that are 24 mm it's "vertical" on the hilton card. When I first looked at that I was thinking.. "Why are there 2 sets of purple lines" But it would make more sence if it's the vertical.

As for what does it sound like. I'll have to explain that on my lunch break at the first job. I have a youtube video that I can put up too.

Thanks guys,
Chris.
Last edited by kilika2 on Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage

ragedigital
4000+ Posts
4000+ Posts

Post by ragedigital »

Yeah, those purple lines were guidelines for me to cut it width wise. Also, I cut out the green area as illustrated, so the card fit over the hinged area.

For those concerned, my thumb did heal and it back to 100 percent. Thanks for all the cards and flowers.
Thanks for joining and participating in the most "active" FZR Community on the internet!
kilika2
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by kilika2 »

Ok got my videos uploaded to youtube finally.

One is me trying to crank the bike and you can hear it try to catch with out the choke. But then when I gave her some gas (dramatically for show) then turned the choke on you can definitely hear it try but just wouldn't.

The second video is when I finally got it to fire after a small display of awesome backfire and you can hear it sounds like crap. Kinda sounds to me like it's not hitting on one cylinder. I was trying to take the video of the black diaphram not moving over the needle in the video but you can't really see that. To note I had to keep constant gas on the bike for this video to keep her running.

Chris.
ImageImageImage

delvryboy
Level 5.0
Level 5.0

Re: Shred fixed my IMS question, Videos (3/29/10) won't fire.

Post by delvryboy »

Have you tried hitting it with starting fluid? Stupid question.... is the petcock in the correct position?
'92 FZR600
Race Tech Springs & Gold Valve Emulators * '06 R6 MC & Calipers * '06 R6 Rear Shock
130 Dynojet Mains/Pods/Flo-Comander * Full Yoshi Exhaust w/ Custom Can
'06 R6 VR * Full OEM Clutch * 14/49 520 Gearing
Seca II Triple w/ Modded Sport Tour Bars * Aztec8 Dual 4" w/ 4100K Halagon lamps * LED Tail/Turn Signals * Vapor Gauges
Lots of Powder
kilika2
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by kilika2 »

Yes and yes. I checked that a few times. Put a new fuel filter in too. It's a lot smaller but it's still a 1/4" and I looked at it while trying to start the bike and the fuel is flowing freely. I didn't record myself hitting it with starter fluid, but I tried just shooting it in there and then also opening the butterfly valves and spraying directly into the carbs. The only thing I didn't try was spraying it in while cranking. The bottle said not to but I didn't figure there was any reason NOT to except like a flame up.

Chris.
ImageImageImage

shredex
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by shredex »

just keep running her as much as you can.
I let my yzf run for a good 20 minutes with a fan blowing on the radiator on a cool day. After that there wasn't much of an issue with starting it.
and it would probably be good to check to see if the oil has turned black or not.
FZR AL
Site Newbie

Post by FZR AL »

have you tried putting the old fuel filter back , i presume it did run before the carb strip down, its sounds as if your nearly there and it probally some really simple you have not done,

you have hooked the starter lever arm onto each starter plunger
If all else fails (hit it with a big hammer)
Freestyle72
Level 4.0
Level 4.0

Post by Freestyle72 »

It sounds identically to my buddies FZR400 trying to start early last year. Check the fuel pump make sure all the lines are clear.

Now I dunno if this is right so let me just say what I did...
I pulled the fuel pump and blew through the lines to make sure they were clear. Made sure the fuel filter was clear. Re-installed the fuel pump and she started right up. I think the fuel pump just needed a little burping or something.