FZR600 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

ruddiger
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

what size rear tyres fit on a 3he?

Post by ruddiger »

hi all,
Recently got a puncture too large to repair without risking ripping the tyre so need a new one,
Been lookin online for them but not sure what to go for, the front is a battlax, rear was 150/60 18 and the wiki says the standard is 140/60, is there other sizes that fit?
Basically too skint at the mo to afford a new one so have to go for part worn but as im sure most of you know 18's are not very common.............

Cheers
RuDDiGeR
sweekster
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Re: what size rear tyres fit on a 3he?

Post by sweekster »

You can fit a 160/18 with no issues.
Duane...
Bike:
1994 Yamaha FZR 1000 EXUP
Factory Pro Stage 1 Jetting | K&N Filter | Corbin Seat | ProTek Keyless Gas Cap | GSXR Mirrors
My Thread
Cage:
2005 Saab 9-7x 5.3i Arc AWD

THE WIKI IS YOUR FRIEND
THE SEARCH IS YOUR SIGNIFICANT OTHER
USE THEM!!
ragedigital
4000+ Posts
4000+ Posts

Post by ragedigital »

Depending on the 160, chances are it will rub your rear brake arm. I would stick with the 150 on back. They still sell the BT-014 in a 150 at around $120.

darrin
Thanks for joining and participating in the most "active" FZR Community on the internet!
M in KC
Level 2.0
Level 2.0

Post by M in KC »

ragedigital wrote:Depending on the 160, chances are it will rub your rear brake arm. I would stick with the 150 on back. They still sell the BT-014 in a 150 at around $120.

darrin
Agreed

Good move IMO in not attempting to repair the tire rear or front. The risk/reward of that scenario is not in your favor.
shredex
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by shredex »

ragedigital wrote:Depending on the 160, chances are it will rub your rear brake arm. I would stick with the 150 on back. They still sell the BT-014 in a 150 at around $120.

darrin
yea, my 160 avon has about an 1/8" space between tire and brake arm/chain lol and thats with a 520 chain.
Still works great though. I say just stick with a 150. if your concerned about looks then do a yzf swingarm swap and run a 160-180.
_Will_
Level 5.5
Level 5.5

Post by _Will_ »

I've had the bt014 before and loved it but my current one is worthless in the rain, spinning and sliding way to much for my liking. I'm always cautious in the rain anyway but it's a whole different kind of cautious. Don't know if they changed the compound or maybe I got a dud, in the dry it's awesome though.
shredex
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by shredex »

_Will_ wrote:I've had the bt014 before and loved it but my current one is worthless in the rain, spinning and sliding way to much for my liking. I'm always cautious in the rain anyway but it's a whole different kind of cautious. Don't know if they changed the compound or maybe I got a dud, in the dry it's awesome though.

BT014 sucks in my opinion. the get the flat spot quick and they last only like 2K miles lol
The Avon storm lasts like 8K miles, doesnt ever get a flat spot and I've done a few burnouts AND it grips the rainy wet road like Gorilla Tape! :headbang:
Still thank reelrazor for introducing me to the storm :cheers:

It just got done raining this one day when I took the bike on a local twisty and my front tire was slipping out but my rear kept its grip. my front was a perilli something...
ragedigital
4000+ Posts
4000+ Posts

Post by ragedigital »

8k miles??

I'm lucky to get 300 miles out of a set of tires... "track days" tear them up quickly.
Thanks for joining and participating in the most "active" FZR Community on the internet!
shredex
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by shredex »

ragedigital wrote:8k miles??

I'm lucky to get 300 miles out of a set of tires... "track days" tear them up quickly.
well, you don't use Avon storm...lol
they arnt as round as track tires though so I don't know how they would compare against something with a better radius.
FZR AL
Site Newbie

Post by FZR AL »

just got one of these for mine £39.99 plus delivery
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Avon-SuperVenom-M ... 2a04b9573a
If all else fails (hit it with a big hammer)
shredex
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by shredex »

FZR AL wrote:just got one of these for mine £39.99 plus delivery
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Avon-SuperVenom-M ... 2a04b9573a
Never seen those. wonder if they are as good as the Storms.
McFizzer
Level 3.0
Level 3.0

Post by McFizzer »

I've got a set of Avon's On mine. Not sure of the name but I do know the rear is "AV50" and the front is "AV49" I absolutly love them. the 1k is a heavy bike and in the rain it was great. there were some straight spots I was cruising 85 without a worry. I dont try and lean to much or take twisties when its wet out but thats just for fear of them slipping. When I looked them up I think they were designed for rain mostly...

Mayish Im going to throw a set of Pilot pro's on for some nice summer grip and probably throw the Avons back on for fall/winter.

On the topic of fitting larger tires... I have a 180 on my rear. I would like to put a 190 on the back but im pretty sure it rub the brake arm and chain. This sound right? Im happy with my 120 in the front and 180 in the rear though.... Just want a FAT ass lol
1992 FZR 1000
:Under serious re-construction:
shredex
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by shredex »

McFizzer wrote:I've got a set of Avon's On mine. Not sure of the name but I do know the rear is "AV50" and the front is "AV49" I absolutly love them. the 1k is a heavy bike and in the rain it was great. there were some straight spots I was cruising 85 without a worry. I dont try and lean to much or take twisties when its wet out but thats just for fear of them slipping. When I looked them up I think they were designed for rain mostly...

Mayish Im going to throw a set of Pilot pro's on for some nice summer grip and probably throw the Avons back on for fall/winter.

On the topic of fitting larger tires... I have a 180 on my rear. I would like to put a 190 on the back but im pretty sure it rub the brake arm and chain. This sound right? Im happy with my 120 in the front and 180 in the rear though.... Just want a FAT ass lol
The rear tire in your signature picture looks to be a Avon Storm like I mentioned.
ruddiger
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by ruddiger »

cheers guys, will take a look for Avons now, always assumed they were crap...

there are a few there 150 18's but the aspect ratio it mainly 70 or 80....would that be a problem(tyre im replacing is 60)

also a few people have told me if i change the brand or even the model of the rear tyre i would have to change the front to match,
is that right?
RuDDiGeR
shredex
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by shredex »

ruddiger wrote:cheers guys, will take a look for Avons now, always assumed they were crap...

there are a few there 150 18's but the aspect ratio it mainly 70 or 80....would that be a problem(tyre im replacing is 60)

also a few people have told me if i change the brand or even the model of the rear tyre i would have to change the front to match,
is that right?
eh, it really depends. But truly I don't think it matters unless your racing.
I've got a Avon Storm AV56 on the rear and a Michelin 2CT on the front and It's fine. Leans into turns like a champ.
Although I would have gone for a Avon Storm in the front, I just didn't have the money so I had to buy a track take off.