quick yzf fork swap question

FZR600 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

az762nato
Site Newbie

quick yzf fork swap question

Post by az762nato »

Im taking my leave from the Army for Christmas and would like to knock my fork swap out in the first day or so of it so I can have some good ride time before going back to work. Im planning on doing YZF750 complete front fork swap with rim, brakes, etc, but I just need to know for sure what years are a bolt on. I hear conflicting info from different places, and just need a bolt on solution. Thanks guys
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Re: quick yzf fork swap question

Post by yamaha_george »

az762nato wrote:Im taking my leave from the Army for Christmas and would like to knock my fork swap out in the first day or so of it so I can have some good ride time before going back to work. Im planning on doing YZF750 complete front fork swap with rim, brakes, etc, but I just need to know for sure what years are a bolt on. I hear conflicting info from different places, and just need a bolt on solution. Thanks guys
Hi,
I think you will find that there is a write up on this in either the WIKI or the lists archives
fzraudun
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by fzraudun »

YZf 600 is bolt on I think, but the 750? Don't think so, though I'd love to be proven wrong.
cad600
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by cad600 »

No, the 750 forks do not bolt on. Only the 600 forks do. You would still need to do a stem swap to get the 750 forks to work.
Yes, that is a Single Sided Swingarm FZR600 that I built.

Something is lurking, waiting, wanting to be built......It calls to me from the darkness....

I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel....Then I realize that it is the train coming to run my ass over....
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

cad600 wrote:No, the 750 forks do not bolt on. Only the 600 forks do. You would still need to do a stem swap to get the 750 forks to work.

Hi,
stem swapping is one route to go BUT would take away from your riding time .
I suggest you look at the threaded rod version of stem changing which is well documented on the site (there is a current thread where some one else wanted to use R6 or was it R1 shocks and one of my posts there give the URLs on detail.
The basic thing is that all you need made to do the swap is to have a couple of spacers made (2 hours work tops) on a lathe rather than posting off both your new &old triple trees to have them swapped over and welded .
The rod method you can buy all the other bits in any hardware store and just have the spacers made locally.
mrfreeze5
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by mrfreeze5 »

Why YZF750 forks specifically? There are more common forks out there with better parts availability(and better technology to begin with)
sweekster
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by sweekster »

mrfreeze5 wrote:Why YZF750 forks specifically? There are more common forks out there with better parts availability(and better technology to begin with)
Agreed

That would be a lot of work for USD forks with preload only...if these were YZF750 SP forks that's a different story though. I'd suggest going with a newer bike's front end like an R1, R6, GSXR, etc.
Duane...
Bike:
1994 Yamaha FZR 1000 EXUP
Factory Pro Stage 1 Jetting | K&N Filter | Corbin Seat | ProTek Keyless Gas Cap | GSXR Mirrors
My Thread
Cage:
2005 Saab 9-7x 5.3i Arc AWD

THE WIKI IS YOUR FRIEND
THE SEARCH IS YOUR SIGNIFICANT OTHER
USE THEM!!
az762nato
Site Newbie

Post by az762nato »

I was gonna go with the 750 forks since I found some in m neighborhood for cheap, but if they dont bolt on, its gonna be a no go. I gotta have a bolt on since I dont have much of a place to work on it.
haro504
Level 7.5
Level 7.5

Post by haro504 »

i got a whole draw in the kitchen full of forks what kind do you need i dont have many spoons though so i cant give those up
ones life is the way it is only because you allow it make it happen.
i poop my pants i poop my pants