fork brace what do ya think?

FZR600 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

91fzr600r
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

fork brace what do ya think?

Post by 91fzr600r »

i am making a fork brace from 1/2 inch 6061 billet aluminum to replace the stock 1/8 inch one. :banana: what do ya think about that idea?? :deal:
STAY FAST AND KEEP THE SHINY SIDE UP!! jack @ classic auto
kilika2
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Re: fork brace what do ya think?

Post by kilika2 »

I think this just about sums it up... :worthlesswithoutpics:

:headbang:
ImageImageImage
Before(5/5/09)_____________After(5/5/10)_____________Way After(8/1/10)

1995 FZR600 Sold :-(
2006 R1 Sold :-\
2009 Buell 1125R :-)
sweekster
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by sweekster »

Do a search it's been discussed before
Duane...
Bike:
1994 Yamaha FZR 1000 EXUP
Factory Pro Stage 1 Jetting | K&N Filter | Corbin Seat | ProTek Keyless Gas Cap | GSXR Mirrors
My Thread
Cage:
2005 Saab 9-7x 5.3i Arc AWD

THE WIKI IS YOUR FRIEND
THE SEARCH IS YOUR SIGNIFICANT OTHER
USE THEM!!
91fzr600r
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by 91fzr600r »

dam! kinda harsh? LOL2 i just picked up the material at 7:00 PM IDK ill post pic when i get started.....
sweekster wrote:Do a search it's been discussed before
i just did a search and people say it don't work. and that its pointless because it bolts into a plastic finder.... well my finder no longer bolts there, so the tabs on the fork tubes only purpose now is fork brace.....and my front tire tread is cupping. i did some research on the subject and came up with "its the fork tubes trying 2 move independently in hard corners. so by installing a R1 finder (bolts on the side not on top) it frees up the mounting bracket for a way thicker than stock fork brace"..so my thought was i would see if people are haveing the same issue? and if any one tryed a thicker fork brace. thats all. canofworms will post pics later 2marrow...peace bandana
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

91fzr600r wrote:dam! kinda harsh? LOL2 i just picked up the material at 7:00 PM IDK ill post pic when i get started.....
sweekster wrote:Do a search it's been discussed before
i just did a search and people say it don't work. and that its pointless because it bolts into a plastic finder.... well my finder no longer bolts there, so the tabs on the fork tubes only purpose now is fork brace.....and my front tire tread is cupping. i did some research on the subject and came up with "its the fork tubes trying 2 move independently in hard corners. so by installing a R1 finder (bolts on the side not on top) it frees up the mounting bracket for a way thicker than stock fork brace"..so my thought was i would see if people are haveing the same issue? and if any one tryed a thicker fork brace. thats all. canofworms will post pics later 2marrow...peace bandana
since the fork leg mounting holes are feed up might as well put them to use by all means, however that will not cure the problem of your tyre cupping (tyre cupping has been discussed and I seem to remember diagnosis as to why is in the WIKI)

Since you have access to a machine shop your time could be more productive by fixing the problem entirely.

The solution is a bigger diameter front axle. (this is discussed on the forum & parts (bearings) are listed in the WIKI ).

How do I know this works ? Eric Buell (Ex. Buel Motors) & I back In the early '80's were discusing bits & bobs to do with stability and ridabilty of one of my race bikes. His solution to my high speed weave problem was to reduce front shock flex.

With a wimpy size axle (back in the day it was 15mm) allowed the two front shocks to work independantly of each other as the axle flexed under load we are talking 90mph with knee down & a very nerve wracking back end wiggle.

I just know some smarty is gonna say should have used a steering damper :-}

What I did was replace the 15mm with 25mm ( I was lucky the bearings were the same O/D ) the corners I used to testing went from 90 with buttocks clenched to 125 & 130mph and the bike tracked as though on rails

. I was gone so long testing grinning like a jackal that my mechanic had closed the shop early to come and find out if I was ok. I let him have the bike and he was out for an hour and had trouble taking his helmet off past the grin. Needless to say he wanted a new set up to.

If you look at fast state of the art bikes (Ducati's ) they have massive front axle tubes (part of the size is required because it is a tube)

Please take a look at the idea as no one so far has had the facility to do it on an FZR (myself included as my friendly neighbourhood machine shop boss retired earlier this year.)
kilika2
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by kilika2 »

Yeah I didnt know if you ment what I said was harsh or sweek but if me I was just joking around, I ment that I wanted to see the awesomeness when you were done, but I would go with the 130 mph grinfest that YG described.

Chris
ImageImageImage
Before(5/5/09)_____________After(5/5/10)_____________Way After(8/1/10)

1995 FZR600 Sold :-(
2006 R1 Sold :-\
2009 Buell 1125R :-)
91fzr600r
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by 91fzr600r »

joking about harsh LOL... :rofl:
yamaha_george makes a vary good point about the axle . i will be doing this mod as well as the fork brace. he said the axle flexed under load, we are talking 90mph with knee down & a very nerve wracking back end wiggle..... mine was doing the exact same thing so i also installed a GPR stabilizer designed for a 06 zx6r.... it helped with the wobble... i will do the axle mod in a few weeks when i tare down my front end to inspect & replace headset bearings, fork seals & do a general tune up..... thanx guyz :cheers:
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

91fzr600r wrote:joking about harsh LOL... :rofl:
yamaha_george makes a vary good point about the axle . i will be doing this mod as well as the fork brace. he said the axle flexed under load, we are talking 90mph with knee down & a very nerve wracking back end wiggle..... mine was doing the exact same thing so i also installed a GPR stabilizer designed for a 06 zx6r.... it helped with the wobble... i will do the axle mod in a few weeks when i tare down my front end to inspect & replace headset bearings, fork seals & do a general tune up..... thanx guyz :cheers:
As I stated the NEW bearing sizes for the bigger front axle are in the WIKI.

HOWEVER I have not checked how much "meat" there is in the bottom of the fork where the damper rod Allen head bolt goes. You will need to bore out or remake the wheels internal spacer and the two wheel side spacers.

Please be aware that the wheel internal spacer is a high accuracy piece as far as length is concerned.

As a personal request as Site Director & one of the WIKI keepers PLEASE document with dimensions & part numbers plus the usual request for lots of pictures.

There is no need to write this stuff up your self in the WIKI if you send plain text & pictures to me I will WIKI ize the deal for you.

email me at george AT saltmine DOT org DOT uk if you need any help or advice and be aware that I did publish a how to with making tools for the seal change.
in the WIKI.

Thanks on behalf of the "gang"
Y-Geo.
91fzr600r
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by 91fzr600r »

will do. thanx george :cheers:
ragedigital
4000+ Posts
4000+ Posts

Post by ragedigital »

It might be better just to go the route of installing some YZF600 forks. I do believe the axle is heavier, the forks are certainly larger and more adjustable. Plus, they should bolt right on.
Thanks for joining and participating in the most "active" FZR Community on the internet!
91fzr600r
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by 91fzr600r »

is there a write up on YZF600 forks install ? anyone have links?
ragedigital
4000+ Posts
4000+ Posts

Post by ragedigital »

I might be wrong, but I believe it goes something like this:

1. Buy YZF600 fork set-up
2. Remove FZR600 fork set-up
3. Install YZF600 forks
4. Sell FZR600 forks
5. Enjoy the ride

All kidding aside, I do believe they bolt right up. You'll just have to buy all the bits to go with the new forks: triples, rim, calipers, clip-ons, etc...

Thanks for joining and participating in the most "active" FZR Community on the internet!
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

ragedigital wrote:It might be better just to go the route of installing some YZF600 forks. I do believe the axle is heavier, the forks are certainly larger and more adjustable. Plus, they should bolt right on.
Darrin,
you mean R6 version YZF or the early model yzf if so what year?
Thnx
Y-G
ragedigital
4000+ Posts
4000+ Posts

Post by ragedigital »

I used YZF600 forks, 96+, if memory serves me correctly. I do believe that either in 96 or 97 is when the YZF forks started coming with pre-load, compression and rebound adjustments.
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

ragedigital wrote:I used YZF600 forks, 96+, if memory serves me correctly. I do believe that either in 96 or 97 is when the YZF forks started coming with pre-load, compression and rebound adjustments.
THNX Boss