Steering damper

Post by Bigtubs »

Anyone seen these for sale for an 87?
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Re: Steering damper

Post by yamaha_george »

Bigtubs wrote:Anyone seen these for sale for an 87?
My first question is why would you need one in the first place ? The FZR even the 400 races are not that twitchy if the mechanics are set up right as intended in the first place.
R3TARD
Level 4.5
Level 4.5

Post by R3TARD »

yamaha_george wrote:
My first question is why would you need one in the first place ? The FZR even the 400 races are not that twitchy if the mechanics are set up right as intended in the first place.

Wheelies Geo

1992 FZR 600
Yoshi exhaust
K&N pods
Airtech R1-kit
02 R6 fork swap
02 R6 Swingarm
520 chain conversion
07 R6 controls
Vortex R6 clipons
07 R6 radial master

2003 CBR 600rr
bone stock
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

R3TARD wrote:
yamaha_george wrote:

Wheelies Geo
Yeah I noticed acertain lack of resistance in the bar movement when pointing the front wheel towards the sky, which means the rider had better be aware of WTF he is doing and if he aint't no steering damper is gonna save his sorry a&&e.
brittus
Site Newbie

Steering damper

Post by brittus »

Perhaps everyone doesn't need steering dampers, but I sure like 'em, esp on some bikes- including bikes that can lift the front wheel coming out of a turn or powering over bumps- like an FZR1000! Even dirtbikes benefit from a damper, as it slows the steering from going to full lock when you loose front traction or the wheel gets deflected. Every bike would benefit from one, and most bikes before 1975 or so had old friction-dampers on the steering stem that could be tweaked by the rider with a large wing or glad-nut.

I had a telescopic-piston Ohlins on my '88 FZR1K, which ran from an old-school fork tube clamp to a bracket which bolted (egads!) onto the upper outside of the frame's left main beam with the end being roughly above the choke levers location. Not very tidy and can foul your hand at full-lock if not carefully mounted. Tend to lose their seals over time as the piston and seals are exposed. Also, if you should fall they are likely to get bent. As for the transverse under-clamp style on FZR1Ks, just not enough room.

I would look into a newer internal rotary-style damper (Scots, GPR, Emig) that sits above the steering stem/triple clamp and doesn't get in the way. They are a machinists dream, well made and anodized in pretty colors with easy-to-use adjustment knobs on top. Range in price from $350-550 depending on manufacturer/model/accessories. I'll be getting one for my '90 FZR1K. Nothing sticking out to get in the way or harmed.

Adjustability on the fly is nice- it should be kept turned down when riding normally and when the road (track) gets bumpy or your pace speeds up you can turn it up- just remember to turn it down when you get ready to park/refuel/etc as they can catch you out and you might tip if on full-damp.

People mod their bike in many ways- I have always thought suspension & brake updates should come before people start asking for more power from the engines. A sweet-handling bike to me is more fun (and safer!) than one that just makes more noise or gets to the corner first.

Brittus
cad600
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by cad600 »

Make the brackets and steering nut and bolt on any damper you want. I've done it. But NO, nobody makes one for that bike.
Yes, that is a Single Sided Swingarm FZR600 that I built.

Something is lurking, waiting, wanting to be built......It calls to me from the darkness....

I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel....Then I realize that it is the train coming to run my ass over....
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

brittus wrote:Perhaps everyone doesn't need steering dampers, but I sure like 'em, esp on some bikes- including bikes that can lift the front wheel coming out of a turn or powering over bumps- like an FZR1000!
Brittus
While very compelling in argument, I would suggest that every rider should learn to ride the bike.

Wheeling coming out of a corner is not just the trait of FZR1k's my 1979 68Hp RD400 does it regularly at 6.5K revs. the difference is I know how to ride it and move my body to suit. Back when I MX'd for the gold I would regularly go sideways into corners both wheel trying for traction my body compensated for that and react when the rear hooked up and the front wheel tried to lift. The only time I ever lost a bike from under me was for a advert for cinema's and no one else could put a bike down deliberately and walk away, I could do it because I knew my bike and the MX track it was being filmed at.

But hey every one has an opinion.............
zero9243
Level 8.5
Level 8.5

Post by zero9243 »

cad600 wrote:Make the brackets and steering nut and bolt on any damper you want. I've done it. But NO, nobody makes one for that bike.

Thanks Cad and Brittus for taking the time to answer the question, instead of taking a stab at the OP and his intentions.
Upgrades:
  • Barnett Clutch------------------------------------------R6 Blue Dots, Front Master Brake Cylinder+Reservoir
    WP Adjustable Rear Shock----------------------------Vortex 520 Conversion with RK GB520GXW Chain
    V&H Header (4-1)--------------------------------------Swingarm Spool Mounts
    Cobra F1r Exhaust Can--------------------------------R6 Voltage Regulator
    Flo-Commander with Remote-------------------------Custom Airtech Passenger Seat
    Stage 7 Jet kit with Diffuser Caps--------------------Factory Pro Nickel Emulsion Tubes
    Wiseco 630 Kit------------------------------------------Custom Frame Slider Mounts
    Modking Hydraulic Clutch Kit--------------------------Hella Projection Headlight with Xentec HID Kit (H9 Bulb)
    Modking Aluminum Radiator Overflow Bottle--------

yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

zero9243 wrote:
cad600 wrote:Make the brackets and steering nut and bolt on any damper you want. I've done it. But NO, nobody makes one for that bike.

Thanks Cad and Brittus for taking the time to answer the question, instead of taking a stab at the OP and his intentions.
Zero,
Perhaps you should finish reading what I said and I quote " everyone is entitled to an opinion " even you & your thinking that I was stabbing the guy for wanting a steering damper, which I did not I mearly asked, why one on a stable bike like the FZR you would need one.

I got an answer , I replied that a steering damper will never make up for lack of attention when riding.

I would say that my interest is in safety of a rider.and that good riding technique will better in the long run.

You may poohoo it but my experience is different ..........................
brittus
Site Newbie

And so on...

Post by brittus »

The OP queried if a steering damper was for sale- that's all. For all one knows he/she/it is an experienced roadracer and has decided to add one to their bike after careful reflection.

I called Scots looking for myself; these bikes are too old for them to make one. You'd have to try an Ohlins ($$$) or a Targa(800) 521-7945 kit- call them ... they don't list one online but both used to make one for your bike and they might be able to help you out. The rotary dampers are all mostly the same above the triple clamp- it's only the clamp/frame lugs that are different, and I'll bet a person could rig one to work just as easily (and more sanitarily) than a telescopic unit. I didn't hear from Emig or GPR yet; bet they have something that might work. And, they're pretty. Again.

Every manufacturer that has added one to a motorcycle did it for safety. Many sportbikes were retrofitted in later models in an attempt to calm the motorcycle or had them straight-away before they hit dealerships. Ex: Suzuki's 1986 GSXR-100 came with a steering damper stock while the 750 did not.

In 1987 the FZR1000 was so expensive Yamaha couldn't afford to add one- not for so small a market where the even higher price would send someone towards a 900 Ninja or GSXR1100- selling for $1000 or more less. Showroom bottom lines- you gotta move units.

Every manufacturer would put one on every bike they sold were it not for unit cost v. profit- most that were fitted are non-adjustable- but the far end of the spectrum is the electrically activated damper on many motorcycles now. At this point the manufacturers are sick of being sued for selling an "unsafe vehicle" after an accident (which happens hundreds of times a year in the U.S. alone per manufacturer)- so they put quality damper systems on bikes. Result? 600s now cost $10,000 and more. You HAVE to buy dampers, safety systems, engine-softening switches, ABS, TCS, linked brakes if you want the bike-the list goes on. That's why we have $800+ helmets now. Litigation.

As for technique, Physics are in action here- no amount of technique/position can change the deflection of the steering camber with the bike in motion- the front wheel will caster back in line with the direction of travel, and this occurs over time- time which amounts to feet traveled on pavement in the case of our bikes (88 feet a second at 60mph) - and since our traveling lanes/roads/racetracks are a fixed width (11 feet avg public roads), one might not have enough time/distance to allow the bike to settle- in the case of a steering damper it simply stalls ("damps") the oscilation cycle and the wheel casters in a shorter distance.

"Motorcycle Chassis Design: The Theory and Practice " & "Motorcycle handling and chassis design: the art and science" by Tony Foale and Motorcycle Dynamics by Vittore Cossalter are interesting if not invaluable reading.

Cheers

Brittus
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

Brittus,
Thank you for making my point for me, as for Tony's works I have the complete collection from his privately published collection as well as his public offerings some Autographed.

I would also include in your recommendations for reading matter Vol 1 of John Bradley's works on designing a race bike.

Vittore Cossalter is required reading for most Bike design courses, his discourses after a lecture in very good english (he spent quite awhile in the UK ) are most enlightening however the math is a little more heavy going than most people's taste. PP305 onward make good reading
McFizzer
Level 3.0
Level 3.0

Post by McFizzer »

I dont see the damper being any harm but as far as it being on an 1k I don't see it necessary. My 1k, I can only get it to power wheelie in first gear anyway and riding them out and landing it smoothly doesn't give any tank slap. Although it adds safety I dont see it being practical unless you dont really know the bike to well and ride outside of your limits. It's good for added safety but I just dont see the need to drop 350-600 on a pretty decent steering damper unless your racing... Just my 2 cents....unless someone wants to give me one =) in which case I'll more then happily accept it and slap it on lol
1992 FZR 1000
:Under serious re-construction: