my 98 fzr600 rebuild

FZR600 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

mcfreak18
Site Newbie

my 98 fzr600 rebuild

Post by mcfreak18 »

Well, I've finally managed to start on my rebuild. I can't seem to get the engine sprocket off. banghead But, I'm persistent. I'll get it off one of these days.
As I'm gettin' into the rebuild, I can't help but think of the things I want to do with it. I'm gonna get an engine gasket kit, new shocks, rebuild the carb, new sprockets (I'm thinking up in the front ), new wiring harness, and maybe a body conversion kit.
Any advice is welcome! So are any recommendations!

Dani

kilika2
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Re: my 98 fzr600 rebuild

Post by kilika2 »

3 Things... 1. Looks good getting started, 2 I like the rainbow thing on the chair in the background, haha. 3. Is that dog pee on the front tire?

Keep up the good work. Hopefully I can join you in the rebuild (on my bike) this winter.

Chris.
ImageImageImage
Before(5/5/09)_____________After(5/5/10)_____________Way After(8/1/10)

1995 FZR600 Sold :-(
2006 R1 Sold :-\
2009 Buell 1125R :-)
mcfreak18
Site Newbie

Post by mcfreak18 »

haha. like the rainbow, eh? nah, it was left over brake fluid.

what are you doing to your bike?
kilika2
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by kilika2 »

I bought it and didn't have a full knowledge of it's history. I will probably dive mostly into the engine this winter, I need to sync the carbs, and do the 8000 mile service. Jet kit maybe. I'm also going to work cosmetically on her as well, my fairings are crap and I want to fiberglass them or find someone willing to sell theirs cheap. 520 chain conversion. All the cheap stuff I can do. I'm pretty broke. ;) Speaking of all this reminds me to update my profile, think I'll go do that now.

Chris.
ImageImageImage
Before(5/5/09)_____________After(5/5/10)_____________Way After(8/1/10)

1995 FZR600 Sold :-(
2006 R1 Sold :-\
2009 Buell 1125R :-)
cad600
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by cad600 »

Good start there. Get a hold of an air compressor and an impact gun to get the counter sprocket off. It will come off with no problems. But if you are going to change the front sprocket, you should also change the rear. If you go with an aftermarket rear sprocket, you have the option of going with steel of aluminum. The aluminum will wear out much faster than steel though. I would do a 520 chain / sprocket conversion. It will save a decent amount of weight.

For a fairing change, the sky is the limit. It all depends on how good your imagination and patients are. You will need to fabricate some simple mounting brackets for most conversions though. Simple stuff, nothing to worry about.
Yes, that is a Single Sided Swingarm FZR600 that I built.

Something is lurking, waiting, wanting to be built......It calls to me from the darkness....

I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel....Then I realize that it is the train coming to run my ass over....
sweekster
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by sweekster »

95FZR600 wrote:is it your bike or your GF's?
That's her on her bike. :thumbsup:
Duane...
Bike:
1994 Yamaha FZR 1000 EXUP
Factory Pro Stage 1 Jetting | K&N Filter | Corbin Seat | ProTek Keyless Gas Cap | GSXR Mirrors
My Thread
Cage:
2005 Saab 9-7x 5.3i Arc AWD

THE WIKI IS YOUR FRIEND
THE SEARCH IS YOUR SIGNIFICANT OTHER
USE THEM!!
mcfreak18
Site Newbie

Post by mcfreak18 »

Yes, that's me on my fzr. haha. Now if only i could find a bf that rides...

I got the sprocket off. I love having an air compressor. Like cad600 said it would, it came off with no problem.

I've been browsing through the forum. There's sooooo much to read. Now if only I had the time. Gonna continue to work on the bike on monday, since I have a presentation to prepare for my business class over the weekend.

so why the 520 conversion kit? I'd like to go up in the front. Not sure if I wanna stay the same in the back...
mrfreeze5
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by mrfreeze5 »

First off, welcome to the forum! Looks like youve got a nice start there. Thats a clean looking bike to start with. Regarding the 520 swap, if you are planning on swapping the front sprocket, it is a good idea to change the rear at the same time. THe stock chain is a 530, which is larger. If you are changing sprockets and chain anyway, then its a good time to do 520. The 520 chain is lighter and reduces rotating mass and gives you a small performance increase. You mentioned going up one tooth in the front, by add teeth on your front sprocket and not the rear, you will effectively raise your top speed, but slow your acceleration. Generally, people will go down 1 tooth in the front for quicker acceleration at the sacrifice of a little bit of top speed.Or adding teeth to the rear sprocket accomplishes the same as going down in the front. Be careful with that impact gun putting that sprocket back on, the nut will strip if youre not careful. Dont ask how I know...

If youre going to change the body up, Id stay away from the "kits" out there. Really the only kit is the airtech and its a piece of junk and looks goofy in my opinion. With some creativity, you can make fairings from other bikes fit, but nothing will just bolt on. As mentioned before, the YZF600 tank is a pretty simple mod and looks great, and is a great time to do it in combination with a R6 tail swap. It can really update the look of the bike and give it a more modern look. I must say though, that's one of the nicer bodies Ive seen in the FZR world :thumbsup:
fzrbrandon
Level 7.5
Level 7.5

Post by fzrbrandon »

mcfreak18 wrote:...it was left over brake fluid...
Please be aware that brake fluid is extremely toxic and does really nasty things to paint so you may want to clean that up. Also, do yourself and your kidneys a huge favor and wear latex gloves whenever dealing with that stuff. No joke. It's bad news. Good luck on the project and keep us posted.
Image Image

92 FZR600 - 3EN2 400 swingarm, Micron, DynoJet, Factory Pro, K&N, R6 shock, RT springs/emulators, R6 MC, Galfer, YZF calipers, Vortex, RK, YZF/R6 VR/R, Vortex, Zero Gravity

90 FZR400 - Sharkskinz, D&D, Sudco, DynoJet, Factory Pro, Ohlins, RT springs/emulators, JEM Machine, Woodcraft, NRC, Galfer, Vortex, RK, YZF/R6 VR/R, Vortex, Lockhart Phillips

89 FZR600 - Vance & Hines, DynoJet, Zero Gravity - sold in '91

http://www.fzrbrandon.com

!!! 400 & 600 Parts For Sale !!! viewtopic.php?f=18&t=9971
mcfreak18
Site Newbie

Post by mcfreak18 »

fzrbrandon- Toxic fluids are always cleaned up- no worries.

mrfreeze5- thanks. I also found the thread on the 520. I'm definitely going to go with the 520 and change both sprockets. Top speed on my fzr was 115mph. The power would cut out. And, it also had some major acceleration problems... Ah, my problem child.
I'm not sure how much money I'm willing to invest yet. I'm gonna wait and see what the engine looks like first.
cad600
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by cad600 »

The problems you point out are carb issues. They need to be removed and cleaned. Maybe add a jet kit. The 115mph top speed might be do to the number of teeth on the sprockets already. Stock configuration is 15/45 (front/rear). I would go through http://www.sumofallparts.net/ to get the chain and sprocket. I ordered the set from them (front, rear, and chain) and it was only like $140 for all of it. And they gave me the choice of sprocket teeth. Shipping was really fast too.
Yes, that is a Single Sided Swingarm FZR600 that I built.

Something is lurking, waiting, wanting to be built......It calls to me from the darkness....

I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel....Then I realize that it is the train coming to run my ass over....
mrfreeze5
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by mrfreeze5 »

cad600 wrote:The problems you point out are carb issues. They need to be removed and cleaned. Maybe add a jet kit. The 115mph top speed might be do to the number of teeth on the sprockets already. Stock configuration is 15/45 (front/rear). I would go through http://www.sumofallparts.net/ to get the chain and sprocket. I ordered the set from them (front, rear, and chain) and it was only like $140 for all of it. And they gave me the choice of sprocket teeth. Shipping was really fast too.
Thats where I got my sprocket and chain setup too. They mixed and matched what I needed since my sprockets come from different bikes. Great prices. Im going to change my gearing though. Im running 14/47 and am having some issues with binding on the front sprocket, so Im going to switch to a 15/50 setup to take some stress off the front sprocket. Check the WIKI for the gear ratio chart, you can see how the different ratios affect gear ratio and top speed. If youre topping out at 115 and having accel problems it definately sounds like the carbs need work. A rebuild kit and a thorough cleaning at a minimum, we need more details about the engine/exhaust/intake for jetting advice though. Id start with a cleaning and rebuild and see how it runs first. Id also recommend pulling your spark plugs and replacing them if they havent been replaced recently. Spark plugs can tell you a lot about how your carbs are set up and if you are running rich or lean. Good luck with the project, dont get discouraged. Even the best FZR is a basketcase at times.
mcfreak18
Site Newbie

Post by mcfreak18 »

Quick Update-

Well, I have been pretty busy with other things so the fzr was on the back burner. I went to the yamaha shop and got a quote on a complete gasket kit from vesrah - $289 (with taxes). I found the same kit online for $217.
The stock sprockets and chain are in good condition (from what I can tell at this point), so I'm gonna leave it stock. I have someone that's gonna show me what to do on the carbs. Fairings are still up in the air. I might piece it together from other models. The original right fairing is beyond saving.

Oh, and I already have an interested buyer.
Hope everyone has a wonderful holiday!
Freestyle72
Level 4.0
Level 4.0

Post by Freestyle72 »

Damn you fit girl. Not enough women ride FZRs.