FZR600 Anatomy

FZR600 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

duckling
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

FZR600 Anatomy

Post by duckling »

I am a new owner of a 97 FZR600, an old racer that was reconfigured as a streetbike. I am not sure about a few things I see:

Where are the two hook-shaped hoses at the carburetor supposed to lead to? Are they overflows?

Does the main wiring harness that passes thru the left frame member have the plugs on the outside or the inside of the member?

Is it really necessary to have a "push" or "B" throttle cable? Or can one get away with just a pull cable?

thanks for your experience
jong22250
Site Newbie

Re: FZR600 Anatomy

Post by jong22250 »

pull only should be fine my push broke like 6000 miles ago no problems yet
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

jong22250 wrote:pull only should be fine my push broke like 6000 miles ago no problems yet

I think you will find should the return spring break you are at what ever throttle setting and stopping becomes ahassle like brakes /clutch/ ingnition off. A runnaway engine is not a pleasent experience ( Do NOT ask How I know :-}
touch
Site Newbie

Post by touch »

Welcome to the board.

The J-tubes are overflows.

The connector blocks were inside the frame on my bike. I found it easier to feed the rubber through the frame while the harness was in place, rather than try to feed the harness through the rubber while it was in the frame...YMMV.

I prefer the two cable set-up. But then again, I prefer stock mufflers and air filters. Some things are just simpler when stock. A broken throttle cable is something I would address fairly quickly on one of my bikes.

Once again, welcome to the board and enjoy your bike!
duckling
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by duckling »

Where do the "J=tubes" go from the carbs? They look like they attach to something, there are clasps on the ends, but I see nothing.
reelrazor
Wrench
Wrench

Post by reelrazor »

duckling wrote:Where do the "J=tubes" go from the carbs? They look like they attach to something, there are clasps on the ends, but I see nothing.
They are float bowl vents/overflow.

As a race bike , they may have needed to have been routed into a catch can. Stock, they either point straight up between the airbox and fuel tank, or straight down...don't connect to anything...some model/country/stae (read: California) variants may have had some kind of check valve/screen...
http://www.michiganmobileservice.com/

“A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.”-Douglas Adams

http://www.youtube.com/user/reelrazor