DAMN!!!

Got a Yamazuki or a Yamonda? This section is for those who are a little more creative...

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

SilverJS
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

DAMN!!!

Post by SilverJS »

OK, so I was JUST going to show you guys pictures of my totally completed FZR400/683. I just picked it up from the painters this Tuesday. So, buddies and I go for a ride today, and I let my friend have a rip at her while I ride his R6 (2000). We hit some clover leafs, and all of a sudden I don't see him anymore in my mirrors...sure enough, he had crashed the damn thing! F***************K!!!!!!

Turns out it's a low-speed lowside, mostly cosmetic damage save for the water pump cover. So, while I'm fixing it up, I'll be doing a few other mods to it too that I'd just decided would be for later. So, my questions to you :

1. What do people usually use as upgraded mirrors? Any OEM bolt-on solutions?
2. What rate do guys with Racetech front fork springs generally buy? Keep in mind, of course, this is with a 600 engine. My forks are actual FZR600 to use the R6 brake system.

That's it for now...man, I'm pissed! Gotta get her on the road ASAP.

Thanks guys!
Last edited by SilverJS on Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
mrfreeze5
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Re: DAMN!!!

Post by mrfreeze5 »

I am running All Balls stem bearings, and they are tapered
SilverJS
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by SilverJS »

Yeah, I actually removed that part of my question, as I just saw All Balls makes some tapered ones too. Too easy.
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

SilverJS wrote: 2. What rate do guys with Racetech front fork springs generally buy? Keep in mind, of course, this is with a 600 engine. My forks are actual FZR600 to use the R6 brake system.

Thanks guys!
SJS, sorry to hear about the bike, sadly it has been my experience that a fresh paint job attracts a drop.

Re:- your Racetech fork spring spec what do you weigh and punch it into :_

http://old.racetech.com/evalving/Spring ... gType=Fork

Get a spring rate from that if it falls out within two specs then pick the heavier one., If your changing springs get the emulators to go with them.
If you get grief from Racetech for pricing try YSS pd valves (emulators to you & i) from ASR suspension in Australia 7 days delivery /paypal/ and top service info
see:
http://www.saltmine.org.uk/fzr/fork.html

for all the details (making fork tools, how-to ,pics etc)
haro504
Level 7.5
Level 7.5

Post by haro504 »

the ones in my avatar are 04 05 gzxr 600 and i fliped the mounting bracket around
ones life is the way it is only because you allow it make it happen.
i poop my pants i poop my pants
SilverJS
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by SilverJS »

To George : Yeah, I've already got the emulators, just the Progressive springs which I'm not too crazy about. Thanks for the link. Seems like 0.85 is the way to go for me, I'll call Race-Tech and confirm.

So, a few ideas for mirrors. Wasn't there somebody with YZF600 mirrors too? I'll also want to try my buddy's R6 mirrors (2000). They look nice and wide, hopefully they can be made to work.
SilverJS
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by SilverJS »

OK, here's another one : Anybody got a spare fairing stay they're willing to part with?
Flo
Site Newbie

Post by Flo »

Hi,
sorry i cant realy help you with your questions but would you tell me how do you got 683cm³ ? :)

regards
Flo
the_finch
Level 8.5
Level 8.5

Post by the_finch »

Flo wrote:Hi,
sorry i cant realy help you with your questions but would you tell me how do you got 683cm³ ? :)

regards
Flo
If I was to bet, I'd bet 660 with a 1mm overbore on the YZF600 jugs.
1997 FZR600RJ

Engine: K&N Drop-in air filter - stock airbox - FP 5°ignition advancer - EBC "Street Racer" Kevlar clutch
Exhaust: Stock header - Yoshimura RS-3 Carbon fiber slip-on
Body: Original paint/graphics - Clear Alternatives integrated LED Taillight - Flanders' flush front signals - YZF600 Mirrors - Comp. Werkes Stainless fender eliminator/tag bracket - 60w/55w H4 headlights
Tires: Metzler MEZ4B 120/70 ZR17 Front - Michelin Madacam 100x 150/70 ZR18 Rear
Brakes:Stock rotors with EBC HH Sinstered pads
In the works: YZF600 header, '97 Bandit 600 rear wheel, DynoJet Stage 3, Racetech Springs and Emulators fork rebuild, FZ1 rear shock, YZF600 front MC, Galfer SS Lines, CFM rearsets
SilverJS
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by SilverJS »

Finch : you wouldn't lose if you had bet that. =) This is actually Xian's engine. Fully built, but a joy to ride on the street. I'll top-gear pull on R6s and 600RRs any day, and up to 240 km/h (where I redline), I'm pretty close to them in an all-out acceleration match. They start pulling away slightly at 200 km/h or so, but for the vast majority of street riding, it's awesome. Had quite the time sorting out the jetting, but it's very good now. I've also got Flo-Commanders for both the main and pilot circuit, and I'll take this opportunity to slap those in as well.

Overall, I was quite pleased with the bike...=(
Popawilly
Site Newbie

Post by Popawilly »

I have older ('95 ish) GSXR mirrors on mine. Direct bolt on but the bolt distance is about 1mm wider than stock. The bolts are snug but fit. The mirrors are on longer stems so you can actually see behind you instead of all elbows. I got mine on e-bay, $20 set. Have fun.

SilverJS
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by SilverJS »

Popawilly,

Thanks, that's EXACTLY the kind of info I was looking for. But, can we confirm the year? 95 is the last year of that generation (mirrors listed go for 1988-1995, then 1996-2000, I think - it varies a bit depending on displacement).

Thanks!
ragedigital
4000+ Posts
4000+ Posts

Post by ragedigital »

I ran the EMGO YZF600 replacement mirrors. They were very solid.

darrin

Thanks for joining and participating in the most "active" FZR Community on the internet!
sweekster
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by sweekster »

Read my signature...then ask me about mirrors.
Duane...
Bike:
1994 Yamaha FZR 1000 EXUP
Factory Pro Stage 1 Jetting | K&N Filter | Corbin Seat | ProTek Keyless Gas Cap | GSXR Mirrors
My Thread
Cage:
2005 Saab 9-7x 5.3i Arc AWD

THE WIKI IS YOUR FRIEND
THE SEARCH IS YOUR SIGNIFICANT OTHER
USE THEM!!
SilverJS
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by SilverJS »

Rage : and those were bolt-on?

Sweekster : I did! Maybe my search string was wrong? I searched for "replacement mirror", "aftermarket mirror" and ....something else, I can't remember...=)