Easy R6 shock upgrade

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Sellers: Your "For Sale" ad may be pulled if you do NOT have your location in your profile. New members with less than 10 posts should give adequate information concerning themselves and why they are selling.

Members: Please use your best judgement when buying from others online, whether it be from someone here or Craigslist or eBay. Use a service to pay, like PayPal, never send cash, checks or other payment. If possible, refrain from giving out too much of your personal information. We do not limit new users from selling as we want our members to be able to get first dibs. It can be risky buying from anyone. Use common sense. If it doesn't feel right - don't do it. If possible, buy from a reputable member.

Please Note: Neither FZROnline.com, nor those financially responsible for the domain, nor any of the community members, will be held responsible for any transaction in anyway being it financially or otherwise.

While not required to sell your items, if you feel compelled to do so, you may make a donation to this site via PayPal to donation@fzronline.com, to help keep this forum active.
delvryboy
Level 5.0
Level 5.0

Re: Easy R6 shock upgrade

Post by delvryboy »

ygpm
'92 FZR600
Race Tech Springs & Gold Valve Emulators * '06 R6 MC & Calipers * '06 R6 Rear Shock
130 Dynojet Mains/Pods/Flo-Comander * Full Yoshi Exhaust w/ Custom Can
'06 R6 VR * Full OEM Clutch * 14/49 520 Gearing
Seca II Triple w/ Modded Sport Tour Bars * Aztec8 Dual 4" w/ 4100K Halagon lamps * LED Tail/Turn Signals * Vapor Gauges
Lots of Powder
Jcity23
Site Newbie

Post by Jcity23 »

I would like one get a hold of me on how to send money
reelrazor
Wrench
Wrench

Post by reelrazor »

Jcity23 wrote:I would like one get a hold of me on how to send money
Sent a PM.
http://www.michiganmobileservice.com/

“A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.”-Douglas Adams

http://www.youtube.com/user/reelrazor
tattysteve
Site Newbie

Post by tattysteve »

Just to add I got my kit from ReelRazor shipped over here to the UK, compared to my other options it worked out pretty cheap and the r6 shock is nice and modern. My OE one was well and truly past it so it made a big difference straight away. it was easy to fit (and a good time to re-grease all the neglected inkages) and ReelRazor was helpful with questions.
reelrazor
Wrench
Wrench

Post by reelrazor »

Okay. Got two more complete kits ready to go.

One is an '08 R6 shock (new body style/damping cartridge style-yellow spring) from a bike that was totalled before break-in was complete.

The other is an '07 unit from a bike with 1200miles.

“A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.”-Douglas Adams

delvryboy
Level 5.0
Level 5.0

Post by delvryboy »

I'm more than likely going to get a kit from you in the next week. I'm going to want the FZR spring for my heavy azz.
'92 FZR600
Race Tech Springs & Gold Valve Emulators * '06 R6 MC & Calipers * '06 R6 Rear Shock
Seca II Triple w/ Modded Sport Tour Bars * Aztec8 Dual 4" w/ 4100K Halagon lamps * LED Tail/Turn Signals * Vapor Gauges
Lots of Powder
reelrazor
Wrench
Wrench

Post by reelrazor »

delvryboy wrote:I'm more than likely going to get a kit from you in the next week. I'm going to want the FZR spring for my heavy azz.
Let me know. These things are taking up space

the_finch
Level 8.5
Level 8.5

Post by the_finch »

Do you know the dimensions and springrate of the R6 Springs? I have done the FZ1 shock swap and have thought about changing out to the R6 shock so I can easily access the reservior. I have both a stock FZR spring and a Racetech FZ1 spring, and am just trying to figure out if I would need a new spring or if I can use one of the two that I currently have.
1997 FZR600RJ

Engine: K&N Drop-in air filter - stock airbox - FP 5°ignition advancer - EBC "Street Racer" Kevlar clutch
Exhaust: Stock header - Yoshimura RS-3 Carbon fiber slip-on
Body: Original paint/graphics - Clear Alternatives integrated LED Taillight - Flanders' flush front signals - YZF600 Mirrors - Comp. Werkes Stainless fender eliminator/tag bracket - 60w/55w H4 headlights
Tires: Metzler MEZ4B 120/70 ZR17 Front - Michelin Madacam 100x 150/70 ZR18 Rear
Brakes:Stock rotors with EBC HH Sinstered pads
In the works: YZF600 header, '97 Bandit 600 rear wheel, DynoJet Stage 3, Racetech Springs and Emulators fork rebuild, FZ1 rear shock, YZF600 front MC, Galfer SS Lines, CFM rearsets
reelrazor
Wrench
Wrench

Post by reelrazor »

the_finch wrote:Do you know the dimensions and springrate of the R6 Springs? I have done the FZ1 shock swap and have thought about changing out to the R6 shock so I can easily access the reservior. I have both a stock FZR spring and a Racetech FZ1 spring, and am just trying to figure out if I would need a new spring or if I can use one of the two that I currently have.
Racetech says the rate is 9.8kg/mm (548lb/inch). 78mm o.d. x 58mm i.d x 160mm free length. As comparison, they say the FZ1 takes a 12.5kg/mm (699lb/inch) spring, and the FZR 600 takes a 13kg/mm (728lb/inch). The FZR spring is the same o.d. and i.d. but is 180mm long-so would be preloaded at least 20mm on the R6 body.

The info I am getting back from guys is that the R6 spring will give decent sag numbers(30-35mm loaded sag) for riders under 170lbs. A little preload (spacers) and it's good to 190.

The FZR spring installed in it's full length would be VERY stiff-might be feasable if cut down.

the_finch
Level 8.5
Level 8.5

Post by the_finch »

I weigh about 220 so I may play with the springs some. I have the stock FZR spring, FZ1 Spring, and Racetech FZ1 spring. Could you PM me a price for either kit shipped to 36350 (Midland City, AL)?
1997 FZR600RJ

Engine: K&N Drop-in air filter - stock airbox - FP 5°ignition advancer - EBC "Street Racer" Kevlar clutch
Exhaust: Stock header - Yoshimura RS-3 Carbon fiber slip-on
Body: Original paint/graphics - Clear Alternatives integrated LED Taillight - Flanders' flush front signals - YZF600 Mirrors - Comp. Werkes Stainless fender eliminator/tag bracket - 60w/55w H4 headlights
Tires: Metzler MEZ4B 120/70 ZR17 Front - Michelin Madacam 100x 150/70 ZR18 Rear
Brakes:Stock rotors with EBC HH Sinstered pads
In the works: YZF600 header, '97 Bandit 600 rear wheel, DynoJet Stage 3, Racetech Springs and Emulators fork rebuild, FZ1 rear shock, YZF600 front MC, Galfer SS Lines, CFM rearsets
delvryboy
Level 5.0
Level 5.0

Post by delvryboy »

Same here. Kit with a stock FZR spring installed. I'll pick it up Wednesday.
'92 FZR600
Lots of Powder
reelrazor
Wrench
Wrench

Post by reelrazor »

Finch and Dlvryboy.....you've both got PMs

delvryboy
Level 5.0
Level 5.0

Post by delvryboy »

I received the kit on Friday.(Fast shipping, I paid Wednesday.) I picked up the '07 w/ an FZR spring. I must say, RR goes out of his way on presentation. He sent detailed, personalized instructions, a hand drawn diagram detailing the exact pair of dog bones he included, and a print out of how-to rear suspension adjustment. You get a lot more than a part in a box. With the included materials, someone who has never even looked at their rear shock could change it out. Thanks!
'92 FZR600
Lots of Powder
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

reelrazor wrote: Racetech says the rate is 9.8kg/mm (548lb/inch). 78mm o.d. x 58mm i.d x 160mm free length. As comparison, they say the FZ1 takes a 12.5kg/mm (699lb/inch) spring, and the FZR 600 takes a 13kg/mm (728lb/inch). The FZR spring is the same o.d. and i.d. but is 180mm long-so would be preloaded at least 20mm on the R6 body.

The info I am getting back from guys is that the R6 spring will give decent sag numbers(30-35mm loaded sag) for riders under 170lbs. A little preload (spacers) and it's good to 190.

The FZR spring installed in it's full length would be VERY stiff-might be feasable if cut down.

RR,
If you cut the spring you will alter the spring rate substantially ie. if you cut 20mm off (I think it would take it to 808.8lb/inch or 14.4 kg/mm , sorry I can never remember the damn formulae )

:hijack: any one have a GSXR pre-load spanner they want to sell (preferably * 2 ) no extra payment for rust LoL
reelrazor
Wrench
Wrench

Post by reelrazor »

yamaha_george wrote:RR,
If you cut the spring you will alter the spring rate substantially ie. if you cut 20mm off (I think it would take it to 808.8lb/inch or 14.4 kg/mm , sorry I can never remember the damn formulae )

any one have a GSXR pre-load spanner they want to sell (preferably * 2 ) no extra payment for rust LoL
I was wrong, the stock R6 spring is 165mm. So, it woulda been 15mm to shorten the FZR spring.....

Yeah. I did the math too. Dlvryboy is a heavyweight. I mounted it full length(no cutting), and we're hoping for the best. His sag numbers will tell us where to go from there.