Burning oil: should I fix or sell?????

FZR600 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

FzrAtx
Site Newbie

Burning oil: should I fix or sell?????

Post by FzrAtx »

So I've been burning oil lately and have gotten it down to worn piston rings or valve guide seals, either way gonna cost me over 500 bucks. So my question is should I sell it and if so how much could I sell a bike that burns oil for? It has close to 19000 miles and drives fine around town but if you get on it for a while: what I mean by that is full throttle shifting around 10k for over 100 miles I burn about .5L. Other than that I have never had any problems with it. How much do you think I should sell it for? The bad: It has a broken but fiberglassed fairing on the left front, the oil issue. The good: Jetted, D&D slip on, yzf front end, r6 master and calipers. I've seen other fzr's go on craigslist between 2 and 3k but they didn't say anything about burning oil. So any input would be greatly appreciated. Image
96 Fzr600, YZF front end, D&D exhaust, R6 front calipers & master...
saving up for tank/tail conversion, maybe swingarm too
ragedigital
4000+ Posts
4000+ Posts

Re: Burning oil: should I fix or sell?????

Post by ragedigital »

It's in good shape, but with the oil deal, I'd say you're looking at $1500-1800.
Thanks for joining and participating in the most "active" FZR Community on the internet!
mszilves
Level 1.5
Level 1.5

Post by mszilves »

Likely most old bikes will burn oil to some extent, so you're gonna likely be in a similar boat. It's up to you really, is it worth $500 to fix the problem (and it will likely be the rings with that much oil burning), or just live with it. It doesn't hurt anything the way it is, this really comes down to whether you can live with it or not. :-)
ImageImage

'03 Liquid Silver R6
'91 FZR 600
'97 Forks w/ .85kg/mm Race Tech springs, Gold-Valve Emulators (2 turns), 20w fork oil / Fox Twin Clicker
R6 front calipers and master cylinder, R6 tail
YZF swingarm conversion
'01 R1 Digital Cluster conversion
K&N Drop-In, Factory Pro emulsion tubes, stock 5CFZ4 needle on clip 2, 22mm floats, mixture screws temp tuned
Bridgestone BT-016s 110/170

touch
Site Newbie

Post by touch »

I think changing the engine would be cheaper (and faster) than fixing what you've got. The only problem is finding an engine close to home.
Fartblood
Level 4.5
Level 4.5

Post by Fartblood »

That's a clean, good looking, perfectly usable and increasingly rare bike with plenty of life left in her - I'd be on the lookout for another engine (maybe a Chundercat motor if you're willing to do the minorish mods needed to make it fit) and you can then spend some time rebuilding the old mill at your leisure.
reelrazor
Wrench
Wrench

Post by reelrazor »

I agree with Fartblood. That thing is in quite nice condition.

get some rings, and a gasket set...and an appropriately sized ball hone and re-ring it. You'll get a chance to de-carbon the valves and pistons..KNOW the head gasket is good...and clearance the valves while you do it.

And, like mszilves said....is it bugging you all that much at this time? It's a good winter job..ride it 'til then.

Pull the engine..it'll give you a chance to do a frame- up cleaning/resto and something to do on the long cold winter nights....ohh, you're in Austin, Texas...............................
http://www.michiganmobileservice.com/

“A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.”-Douglas Adams

http://www.youtube.com/user/reelrazor
FzrAtx
Site Newbie

Post by FzrAtx »

Alright so I ordered a leak down test gauge. Hopefully it will show up sometime soon so I will know what I'm dealing with. But I suppose you're all right I should just wait and fix it. Does anyone know what type of valve spring compressor works best on our bikes?
96 Fzr600, YZF front end, D&D exhaust, R6 front calipers & master...
saving up for tank/tail conversion, maybe swingarm too
mikev
Site Newbie

Post by mikev »

Actually I might sell the trackbike I just bought and get an SV650. One came up for sale for RIDICULOUSLY cheap... I mean like too cheap to pass up.