Rebuilding YZF Master Cylinders

Any topic relating to the FZR/YZF (UK) or motorcycling in general.

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

the_finch
Level 8.5
Level 8.5

Rebuilding YZF Master Cylinders

Post by the_finch »

I have a Master Cylinder off of a 1997 YZF600r (cup-style reservior) I'm about to install on my FZR600, and I bought a rebuild kit to make sure that it's functioning perfectly before I install it, but I can't find rebuild info anywhere on our website, our wiki, or Oldskoolyzf.com. Anyone know where to find rebuild info on said master cylinder?

Thanks in advance.

P.S.: I will be taking pics for a write-up for our wiki.
1997 FZR600RJ

Engine: K&N Drop-in air filter - stock airbox - FP 5°ignition advancer - EBC "Street Racer" Kevlar clutch
Exhaust: Stock header - Yoshimura RS-3 Carbon fiber slip-on
Body: Original paint/graphics - Clear Alternatives integrated LED Taillight - Flanders' flush front signals - YZF600 Mirrors - Comp. Werkes Stainless fender eliminator/tag bracket - 60w/55w H4 headlights
Tires: Metzler MEZ4B 120/70 ZR17 Front - Michelin Madacam 100x 150/70 ZR18 Rear
Brakes:Stock rotors with EBC HH Sinstered pads
In the works: YZF600 header, '97 Bandit 600 rear wheel, DynoJet Stage 3, Racetech Springs and Emulators fork rebuild, FZ1 rear shock, YZF600 front MC, Galfer SS Lines, CFM rearsets
mrfreeze5
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Re: Rebuilding YZF Master Cylinders

Post by mrfreeze5 »

the_finch wrote:I have a Master Cylinder off of a 1997 YZF600r (cup-style reservior) I'm about to install on my FZR600, and I bought a rebuild kit to make sure that it's functioning perfectly before I install it, but I can't find rebuild info anywhere on our website, our wiki, or Oldskoolyzf.com. Anyone know where to find rebuild info on said master cylinder?

Thanks in advance.

P.S.: I will be taking pics for a write-up for our wiki.
Have you tried the YZf600 forum? www.yzf600r.com Might be a good palce to start. Im assuming you mean the front MC?
shredex
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by shredex »

well, there is a C-clip clip you remove...thats all I know lol.
I have to repace the little angle piece the tub from the res. connects to on the MC.
these things are awesome though. your gonna love it.
the_finch
Level 8.5
Level 8.5

Post by the_finch »

mrfreeze5 wrote:Have you tried the YZf600 forum? http://www.yzf600r.com Might be a good palce to start. Im assuming you mean the front MC?
Yep, I meant front MC. I knew about www.oldskoolyzf.com but didn't know about www.yzf600r.com (though in hindsight it's obvious). Thanks Freeze!
shredex wrote:well, there is a C-clip clip you remove...thats all I know lol.
I have to repace the little angle piece the tub from the res. connects to on the MC.
these things are awesome though. your gonna love it.
Thanks for the technical walkthrough, shred. :rofl:
I've heard they're pretty awesome, and I've had this and a set of Galfer SSteel front brake lines sitting on the shelf for about a year now waiting for me to install them. I figured I might as well rebuild the brakes while I have the forks taken apart. Not like I'm missing any prime riding time, with all of the rain and all.
1997 FZR600RJ

Engine: K&N Drop-in air filter - stock airbox - FP 5°ignition advancer - EBC "Street Racer" Kevlar clutch
Exhaust: Stock header - Yoshimura RS-3 Carbon fiber slip-on
Body: Original paint/graphics - Clear Alternatives integrated LED Taillight - Flanders' flush front signals - YZF600 Mirrors - Comp. Werkes Stainless fender eliminator/tag bracket - 60w/55w H4 headlights
Tires: Metzler MEZ4B 120/70 ZR17 Front - Michelin Madacam 100x 150/70 ZR18 Rear
Brakes:Stock rotors with EBC HH Sinstered pads
In the works: YZF600 header, '97 Bandit 600 rear wheel, DynoJet Stage 3, Racetech Springs and Emulators fork rebuild, FZ1 rear shock, YZF600 front MC, Galfer SS Lines, CFM rearsets
FzrAtx
Site Newbie

Post by FzrAtx »

I bought and refurbished a yzf master not too long ago. It's relatively easy look the diagram of it on bikebandit.com so you know what your dealing with, but Just take the rubber boot off the masters piston (the part the break lever pushes in) remove the snap ring and take everything out down to the spring, soaking it in fresh brake fluid. On the top part of the master that connects to the reservoir pull up its rubber boot, the snap ring and replace the rubber o ring underneath. I used a sewing needle slightly smaller than the hole to make sure it was unobstructed.
96 Fzr600, YZF front end, D&D exhaust, R6 front calipers & master...
saving up for tank/tail conversion, maybe swingarm too