Bespoke Shifter ??

They don't call him the "King" for nothing!

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

ShogunTX
Level 4.5
Level 4.5

Bespoke Shifter ??

Post by ShogunTX »

Hey I was cruising around the WWW when I came across this picture of Triumph. I am curious how difficult it would be to fashion a shifter for the FZR similar to the one this guy uses on the Triumph....Or is it possible to just grab one and see if it fits?? I would think custom rearsets would be a breeze if we didn't have to worry about the shift linkage??

demon_knight69
Level 4.5
Level 4.5

Re: Bespoke Shifter ??

Post by demon_knight69 »

i like that. i don't see why that couldn't work. don't know the price of something like that, but i'm sure thatkid or modking could fashion something similar as well. could go along nicely with custom rearsets by thatkid :rocker:
1996 FZR 600
Custom exhaust made from R6 header and GSXR600 end pipe
K&N Pods
Barnett Clutch
Factory Pro shift kit
Needs paint and on her way to being a streetfighter
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

ShogunTX wrote:Hey I was cruising around the WWW when I came across this picture of Triumph. I am curious how difficult it would be to fashion a shifter for the FZR similar to the one this guy uses on the Triumph....Or is it possible to just grab one and see if it fits?? I would think custom rearsets would be a breeze if we didn't have to worry about the shift linkage??
ShogunTX,
that is commonly known as a GP shifter where the lever acts in REVERSE to normal ie 5 down & one up. If you do use this idea do it to every bike you ride !!!!

The hassle is that on your race bike you get "brain set" so that on your road bike in an emergency the brain will do the quickest result it knows which would be in this case shift up instead of down etc.results are not nice (have the road rash to prove it though light thanks to good kit )
demon_knight69
Level 4.5
Level 4.5

Post by demon_knight69 »

i thought about that as soon as i posted. as it is now when you press down on our shifter the shift linkage actually twists the shift rod in a forward motion to downshift, and backward to upshift. putting that other shifter on there would be quite confusing. you could get used to it, but if you've been riding a long time that would take a lot to get used to being the opposite :ermm:
1996 FZR 600
Custom exhaust made from R6 header and GSXR600 end pipe
K&N Pods
Barnett Clutch
Factory Pro shift kit
Needs paint and on her way to being a streetfighter
megaloxana
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by megaloxana »

Yeah wouldn't be surprised if thatkidd rolls out one of these next week
'92 FZR 600
Airtech R1 kit \*/ 520 conversion \*/ 14F-47R gearing
K&N pod filters \*/ Stage 3 jet kit \*/ Factory Pro shift kit \*/ Full V&H SS exhaust
Custom '02 R6 undertail \*/ YZF gas tank \*/ Raised via dogbones \*/ custom flush turnsignals
Full R6 brake set-up \*/ SS lines \*/ Progressive fork springs \*/ ZX2 coilpack

ADD YOURSELF TO THE OFFICIAL FZRONLINE GOOGLE EARTH MAP :bunny :banjoman
thatkid
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by thatkid »

megaloxana wrote:Yeah wouldn't be surprised if thatkidd rolls out one of these next week
Oh trust me I've been thinking about it for a long time. Problem is I have no idea how to make the reverse splines on the shifter that would mate with the FZR shift rod. Once I figure that out, they will be made. Have toyed with a way to make it work normal style shifting too.
Do YOU Scopper?

"When some people cry, it's not because they’re weak. It’s because they’ve been strong for far too long."
zfr1000r6
Site Newbie

Post by zfr1000r6 »

I read this post and then went and talked to a friend of mine with a machine shop. He says it is a fairly straight forward process. i asked him if he could mill a few sets for me to put on my bike to show everyone and he said he would. If it works out well i might do a poll to see how many people would be interested.
ShogunTX
Level 4.5
Level 4.5

Post by ShogunTX »

That would be hella cool

~sent from my HTC Tilt
zero9243
Level 8.5
Level 8.5

Post by zero9243 »

ShogunTX wrote:That would be hella cool

~sent from my HTC Tilt
second that

~not sent from my HTC Tilt
Upgrades:
  • Barnett Clutch------------------------------------------R6 Blue Dots, Front Master Brake Cylinder+Reservoir
    WP Adjustable Rear Shock----------------------------Vortex 520 Conversion with RK GB520GXW Chain
    V&H Header (4-1)--------------------------------------Swingarm Spool Mounts
    Cobra F1r Exhaust Can--------------------------------R6 Voltage Regulator
    Flo-Commander with Remote-------------------------Custom Airtech Passenger Seat
    Stage 7 Jet kit with Diffuser Caps--------------------Factory Pro Nickel Emulsion Tubes
    Wiseco 630 Kit------------------------------------------Custom Frame Slider Mounts
    Modking Hydraulic Clutch Kit--------------------------Hella Projection Headlight with Xentec HID Kit (H9 Bulb)
    Modking Aluminum Radiator Overflow Bottle--------

ragedigital
4000+ Posts
4000+ Posts

Post by ragedigital »

After you install one, don't let your friends ride it....
Thanks for joining and participating in the most "active" FZR Community on the internet!
thatkid
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by thatkid »

ragedigital wrote:After you install one, don't let your friends ride it....
Don't worry. If I can find a moments rest I will be working on a way to make it standard shifting. I got me some ideas.
Do YOU Scopper?

"When some people cry, it's not because they’re weak. It’s because they’ve been strong for far too long."
slayermd
Level 5.0
Level 5.0

Post by slayermd »

zero9243 wrote:
ShogunTX wrote:That would be hella cool

~sent from my HTC Tilt
second that

~not sent from my HTC Tilt

Holy shit that was funny!
*Im a Tilt owner
zfr1000r6
Site Newbie

Post by zfr1000r6 »

just talked to my buddy again about milling these. We went over a few details and it looks like we will be giving it a shot tomorrow afternoon. My question is would everyone be more interested in a nicer piece (complete rear set) or a lower price (remove the shifter off of your stock rearset and just bolt on a new shifter to the trans, would only need to purchase a shifter) or should we mill a few sets and leave it as an option for people to order either one?
thatkid
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by thatkid »

zfr1000r6 wrote:just talked to my buddy again about milling these. We went over a few details and it looks like we will be giving it a shot tomorrow afternoon. My question is would everyone be more interested in a nicer piece (complete rear set) or a lower price (remove the shifter off of your stock rearset and just bolt on a new shifter to the trans, would only need to purchase a shifter) or should we mill a few sets and leave it as an option for people to order either one?
You have to remember that bolting it to the trans will reverse your shifting pattern. Most people won't want to do this.
Do YOU Scopper?

zfr1000r6
Site Newbie

Post by zfr1000r6 »

can someone send me the measurements for their bikes' rearsets? I need the measurements center-to-center for the bolt holes to the frame. (I need them for a variety of FZRs just to see how much of a difference there is, if any)

Return to “Modking [Custom Fabrication / Machining]”