R1 fork swap

FZR600 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

FizzNation
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

R1 fork swap

Post by FizzNation »

k so i picked up some 00 r1 forks for pretty cheap i got 2 sets of forks, an axle, top and bottom tripple assembly and 4 blinkers for a hundred bucks. i was wondering what all needs to be done to make this work. Has anyone else on here done it. I know thatkid has so maybe he can help out.
shredex
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Re: R1 fork swap

Post by shredex »

I have 99-01 R1 forks...
$100 is CHEAP for all of that!
get a r1 rim and rotors as well.

just need to have a YZF600 or FZR600 stem pressed out of the lower triple. Then weld around the base. have it turned down to the right diameter on a lathe, then press it into the r1 lower triple...one little spacer is needed at the top triple because the stem is thinner than the hole.
modKing can make a custom lower triple and can have the fzr stem pressed into it and send it back ready to bolt on...
I bought a yzf lower triple with stem from TK and used that stem in my r1 lower triple so i could still drive my bike while it was being done.
cad600
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by cad600 »

Multiple options on this one. But you need to take into consideration what is your end goal and how comfortable you are with things.

1) Have a stem pressed out of FZR600 triple and into the triple of the R1. Some extra welding my be required but usually it goes in without too much worry of it coming out.
2) Have a lower triple made to work with the forks and a FZR600 stem. Modking is the one who makes them.
3) Hack the R1 stem off just above the lower triple and use the treaded rod method.

Personally, I went with the custom triple because it is a sure thing. I would try the threaded rod method as well but it can get pricey for the components being used. People have great luck with the press a stem out of here and press it in there, but there are too many people who argue about how it should be done.

Like I said before, it depends on your comfort level.
Yes, that is a Single Sided Swingarm FZR600 that I built.

Something is lurking, waiting, wanting to be built......It calls to me from the darkness....

I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel....Then I realize that it is the train coming to run my ass over....
thatkid
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by thatkid »

Check the wiki. I'm pretty sure there is a writeup there. Mark did a write up as did shred. Short answer is you have to have the fzr stem pressed into R1 triple. You are also going to need a front wheel. If you have your old fork legs after the swap I may be interested in them if they are in good condition and not 89's.
Do YOU Scopper?

"When some people cry, it's not because they’re weak. It’s because they’ve been strong for far too long."
FizzNation
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by FizzNation »

Can any of you get any pics of what i need to do. its not in the wiki, the one in the wiki is r6 fork swap. I still dont get what you mean. and i dont have a welder or lathe.... would any of you be able to do that part of it for me.

Oh and thatkid the fork legs are pretty good, i just replaced the fork seals on them and i did the first ride on them today. maybe i will trade you them for some money knocked off of one of them there r6 headers you got... haha
95FZR600
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by 95FZR600 »

Shred had it done. Pm him.
2002 Yamaha R6-----2003 Yamaha R6

slayermd
Level 5.0
Level 5.0

Post by slayermd »

I had Modking press out the FZR stem and put it in the R1 tree. Works like a charm!
mossy1200
Level 5.0
Level 5.0

Post by mossy1200 »

Then you can sell your originals.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3825
Huckleberry
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by Huckleberry »

had my fzr stem pressed locally into into the r6 triples. there is a snap ring that holds locks the stem so make sure teh machinisht knows this before putting it into the press. cost me 35 bucks