WTF is this???

FZR600 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

FizzNation
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

WTF is this???

Post by FizzNation »

I pulled off my oil pan today and took a peek at up towards the crankshaft and there was a red frayed wire hanging in there.. At least i think it was a wire.

modkingfzr600
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Re: WTF is this???

Post by modkingfzr600 »

that is an o-ring, there is a red o-ring at the bottom of each cylinder sleeve where it meets the block.

These o-rings keep oil from migrating up in between the sleeve and block, into the water jacket , and into the coolant system .... I would say this is not critical ( until ) you notice oil in the coolant , and when you notice oil in the coolant you will know exactly where to look.

p.s ....because of gravity, you may very well notice coolant in the oil first before you notice oil in the coolant.
ashtong63
Site Newbie

Post by ashtong63 »

modkingfzr600 wrote:p.s ....because of gravity, you may very well notice coolant in the oil first before you notice oil in the coolant
Yeah, when the engine's hot the coolant is under much higher pressure than the oil so you'll probably see coolant in the oil first. If your oil starts to look milky that's the coolant...
DonTZ125

Post by DonTZ125 »

... at which point it may be too late. Coolant-oil emulsions suck as lubricant for plain bearings, and can lead to rapid and severe damage. :yikes:

My call - Pull the head, pull the cyl block, replace the o-ringS - if one's done, they are all suspect. Do this before you have to pull and replace your crank, conrods, pistons, cams... canofworms :yuck: O-rings and head gaskets are damn cheap compared to a whole-engine overhaul / replacement.
FizzNation
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by FizzNation »

yeah.. i will do it this winter. im not too worried about it now.