Newbie question about restriction

FZR400 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

magsmagsmags
Site Newbie

Re: Newbie question about restriction

Post by magsmagsmags »

Hello again, just thought i'd update
had no luck finding an M-Max or similar and i was just wondering if someone could enlighten me on a few things

does the TCI "remember" anything, like if the clocks were butchered a year ago, causing the 12.5k RPM restriction
or does it check the speedo everytime the bike is started, realise somethings wrong and then limit the bike

I was just wondering as if it checks every time, is there a way i can open the clocks again and put the speed restriction back on?
Failing that, it's a lot cheaper for me to buy the clocks than a new TCI
DonTZ125

Post by DonTZ125 »

Hi, Mags.

Everything I've read says it checks every time. Get the clocks working as per spec, and it should give you full revs in the first four gears. Once you got them fixed, you should then have a clue as to how to massage them to bypass the restriction entirely.

I have an idea, but I'm still trying to track down the wiring diagram to be sure... :headscratch:
magsmagsmags
Site Newbie

Post by magsmagsmags »

nice one thanks, in that case i'm gonna try find a cheap set of clocks just to try it
if it works i'll have a go at putting mine back to standard if i get it wrong at least then i'll have a spare set

let me know how you get on please
magsmagsmags
Site Newbie

Post by magsmagsmags »

Just thought i'd update

I took the fairing off yesterday and found an unplugged cable, plugged it back in and now the rev limit has gone up to around 15k
112mph restriction is of course back, but i'm still on the look out for the m-max, kph to mph converter or the device a user on here was going to make with the wiring diagram
willandrip
Level 7.0
Level 7.0

Post by willandrip »

A blast from the past; or a lesson from the master;
DonTZ125 wrote:Your TCI monitors the speed signal from the speedo, and the gear signal from the GPS. Unplug or otherwise fiddle with the speedo, and the TCI clamps down at 12.5k. Same with the gear wiring.

There was a discussion going at http://www.400greybike.info/newforum/vi ... =37&t=2518 ; this gave a few suggestions. I'm trying to track down the 3TJ wiring diagram - I might have an idea to re-create the "M-Max" de-restrictor box.

Watch this channel... :cheers:
Hi Don;
Did you ever progress with this ?
M-Max de-limiter units now extinct in UK.
The link has also long since expired.
We know the boxes work,and work extremely well; its just how !
Apparently a $1 resistor diode can be configured to emulate the M-Max unit.

To other readers;
Are the 1WG Genesis units supplied to US fitted with a red speed light in the speedo head ?
Are there any rpm restrictions that become active if the speedo unit is removed or cable broken. ?
This is principally a post 1987 UK import query (3EN1 onwards which are rare in US) but as the 1WG's (Genesis) supplied to US are exup equipped perhaps the restriction circuit was also included !

Sent from my keyboard using the English language not some teen text shite from a fooking phone.
Evilchicken0
Level 3.5
Level 3.5

Post by Evilchicken0 »

The 3EN1 is a 1988 bike. If it was 1987 there wouldn't be a restriction. ;)

If the original member had had a look behind the clocks to begin with they'd have sorted it out in a day
Don't read everything you believe
FZR400RR 3TJ Bimota SB6
willandrip
Level 7.0
Level 7.0

Post by willandrip »

Boris; the topic was brought back from the archives because I was interested to find if Don had progressed with his recreation of the m-max circuitry.That is why the quote was included.
The US bikes of the Genesis era differ significantly from the ones that were imported to the UK as a "grey" unit.
The US models have the Exup and as we have found out the TCI connectors and wiring harness differ.
As you are aware : the 1987 and the 1988 (SP2 TK and 3EN1) TCI units interchange on UK grey imports.(only the latter having restriction)

As no new information is forthcoming regarding the m-max box on the UK forums; I decided to ask if any new material is available from US Forum members.

Can any US members confirm the existance of the speed light circuit on their USA Genesis models.?
In what year was the FZR first available in USA/Canada ?
Has any member a pic of a US Genesis TCI unit that shows the wiring sockets and the labelling on the top.?
Sent from my keyboard using the English language not some teen text shite from a fooking phone.
Evilchicken0
Level 3.5
Level 3.5

Post by Evilchicken0 »

The 3TJ restriction seems to sit on the same circuit as the side stand, neutral, and reserve cut out. When the CDI is derestricted it takes out these other functions, ok for a race bike but not for the road. That's why I recomend a mechanical speedo coverter for the road.
It would be simpler for the M-Max to block the 180kmh signal and still use the rest of the speedo circuit rather than emulating the 0 and active signals. They sit in the speedo's loom rather than at the end like the speedo itself.
FZR400RR 3TJ Bimota SB6
willandrip
Level 7.0
Level 7.0

Post by willandrip »

Dons idea was to re-create the M-Max box circuitry I believe;not immobilise the derestrict circuit in the TCI.
That M-max you have just offered Kayla was one of only 3 that have become available in the last 12 months of searching.
If they were more readily available there would be no need for this topic.
The converter will not diagnose faults in the derestriction circuit.
Cheers.
DonTZ125

Post by DonTZ125 »

"Who dares speak my name without fear in their voice!" :rofl: :whistle

I've actually gotten myself seriously sidetracked from that one; I had to go through my notes last night to remember what the heck I was doing. I think I've got a good idea of what I want to do, it's just a matter of getting back around to it.
willandrip
Level 7.0
Level 7.0

Post by willandrip »

Well at least we woke you up. :cheers:
How is your quickshifter project going .?

Other questions are there to be answered in this ressurection. !
DonTZ125

Post by DonTZ125 »

The quick shift is going well; I have two units sold thus far, but both are push-button. I have a design for an in-line shift sensor, but I'm still waiting on pricing for the machined parts. I also have a rev-limiter design that can be either automatic (good for 4/600 builders who keep the 400 TCI) or push-button, for use as a pit-lane limiter or a launch controller. Both are fully adjustable using a pot.

The de-restrictor will be designed with the racer in mind who wants to ditch his speedo, and will plug in at the TCI.

Speaking of racers, I have a group-buy underway with some 400 (US 1WG) pilots for purpose-built race harnesses ...
Evilchicken0
Level 3.5
Level 3.5

Post by Evilchicken0 »

willandrip wrote:Dons idea was to re-create the M-Max box circuitry I believe;not immobilise the derestrict circuit in the TCI.
That M-max you have just offered Kayla was one of only 3 that have become available in the last 12 months of searching.
If they were more readily available there would be no need for this topic.
The converter will not diagnose faults in the derestriction circuit.
Cheers.
I didn't need it. Both the 3TJ's have speedo converters on and the project has a 4DX CDI .... although I put a 600 engine in that it just depends. It's also got a R6 USD front end, Duke 320 discs, Brembo radial master R6 shock and Sp rear end .... I should get a front wheel so it can roll rather than sit on the trolley
FZR400RR 3TJ Bimota SB6
willandrip
Level 7.0
Level 7.0

Post by willandrip »

Sounds really good-have you been keeping that build underwraps ?
Mine all have converters on also;but the one box I do have was invaluable for diagnosing the running problem as described in another post.
As these electrical components are becoming more fragile with age and use beyond their intended lifespan ,I believe more problems will arise in the restriction circuit over time. This already appears to be the instance with tachometers on some FZR models;fortunately the components are cheap and repairs well documented.
Evilchicken0
Level 3.5
Level 3.5

Post by Evilchicken0 »

If the speedo and wiring is left alone it's fine. When you get people trying to bodge a derestriction that's when it all goes tits up.
You only need to remove the derestriction for track use otherwise it's just a vanity thing, 112MPH or 180 KMH ... I touched it once on a motorway but if I'd been caught I'd have lost my license. On track the M-max is just and easy fix, really you want a derestricted CDI
FZR400RR 3TJ Bimota SB6