my bikes done

Got a Yamazuki or a Yamonda? This section is for those who are a little more creative...

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

95FZR600
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Re: my bikes done

Post by 95FZR600 »

megaloxana wrote:I hope you're getting your friend to pay for what he broke.

I would bonkonhead your friend. And then I would :swear and IDK
2002 Yamaha R6-----2003 Yamaha R6

tampaFZR600
Level 4.0
Level 4.0

Post by tampaFZR600 »

BMiller wrote:Make your friend pay for it..........if he is your "friend" he'll pay for what he caused you.
seriously, tell him he's a weak ass VAGINA for not being able to "MOVE" a bike, and then bonkonhead for not telling you! If you would have known the cover broke you never would have drove it, and it would have never had to been towed, therefore, we would not be having this convo...
FZR 600 "bring back to life" project.... SHE LIVES!!!
FZR manual---->> http://commline.com/FZR/600/MANUAL/
shredex
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by shredex »

so the cover can be welded?
what welder should be used?
mig?tig? whatever, I have access to all
shredex
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by shredex »

oh yea, and let me explain the r6 sitiuation
My brothers very good friend (Bert), and just a reg friend of mine, started financing on a 06 r6 but didnt want the bike or payments anymore so he let a kid take over the payment...
the kid stopped making the payments and bert was gettting hit with the crap....
couple months later (about 3-4 weeks ago) my brother planned a meet with the kid at a resturant or something and when the kid went inside bert hopped back on his bike and drove it to my brothers house...
the kid f**ked up the r6...cosmeticly, the bike is in worse condition than mine, but the stay and headlights are still good...just cracked and scratched.
bert is planning on paying me to fix his bike for him so i could be helped out with my debt
so i thought that maybe I could fix it for no charge or something or give him alittle something each week...
but its most likely not going to happen so dont worry about it
reelrazor
Wrench
Wrench

Post by reelrazor »

so the cover can be welded?
what welder should be used?
mig?tig? whatever, I have access to all
MIG with a spool gun, pure argon and compatible wire will work. Try to find a (sacrificial or discardable) broken yamaha piece and check compatibility of the wire on the broken piece. Make sure the area to wel dis clean...meaning wire brush it with a new (unused or used only on aluminum) stainless brush immediatley before welding) Hot and fast, push the gun, don't pull it.

TIG-AC..clean clean clean (see above)..again check compatibilty of filler metal with sacrificial part. If filler wire is hard to match, you can cut pieces of an old yamaha piece and use it. Try 4043 first.
http://www.michiganmobileservice.com/

“A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.”-Douglas Adams

http://www.youtube.com/user/reelrazor
shredex
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by shredex »

the cover is cast aluminum...isnt that like impossible to weld?
the_finch
Level 8.5
Level 8.5

Post by the_finch »

dang, that sucks man. I'd definitely go after the guy for the damage to the bike, especially the guy that dropped it to begin with.

As for getting it working for now, I wouldn't worry about fairings for now (they're optional anyway) even if they give you all the money to replace them. Put an inexpensive set of streetfighter headlights on there, and use any other money you get to started paying off the money you owe. my2cents
1997 FZR600RJ

Engine: K&N Drop-in air filter - stock airbox - FP 5°ignition advancer - EBC "Street Racer" Kevlar clutch
Exhaust: Stock header - Yoshimura RS-3 Carbon fiber slip-on
Body: Original paint/graphics - Clear Alternatives integrated LED Taillight - Flanders' flush front signals - YZF600 Mirrors - Comp. Werkes Stainless fender eliminator/tag bracket - 60w/55w H4 headlights
Tires: Metzler MEZ4B 120/70 ZR17 Front - Michelin Madacam 100x 150/70 ZR18 Rear
Brakes:Stock rotors with EBC HH Sinstered pads
In the works: YZF600 header, '97 Bandit 600 rear wheel, DynoJet Stage 3, Racetech Springs and Emulators fork rebuild, FZ1 rear shock, YZF600 front MC, Galfer SS Lines, CFM rearsets
shredex
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by shredex »

yea, i still have my home made stay but the tabs on my headlights are broken off...so no mounting them up
im gonna try walmart and find some cheap HIDs or something to mount up and make my own fighter front
aaronb
Site Newbie

Post by aaronb »

I had my started clutch cover welded they are quite expensive second hand. Mine had a plate welded to cover the hole. I had a mate pick it up from me take it to a welder and bring it back with some HT silicon for £10 not bad I dont think.
shredex
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by shredex »

hey, I have JB weld (putty epoxy) will that work????
the_finch
Level 8.5
Level 8.5

Post by the_finch »

shredex wrote:hey, I have JB weld (putty epoxy) will that work????
It might. On my '68 model 383 big block I pulled to put in my Charger, someone had "adjusted" the oil pan to fit with a hammer, and after it started leaking, they JB welded it and it didn't leak again. If you do JB Weld it then I would definitely keep my eyes open for an inexpensive replacement.
1997 FZR600RJ

Engine: K&N Drop-in air filter - stock airbox - FP 5°ignition advancer - EBC "Street Racer" Kevlar clutch
Exhaust: Stock header - Yoshimura RS-3 Carbon fiber slip-on
Body: Original paint/graphics - Clear Alternatives integrated LED Taillight - Flanders' flush front signals - YZF600 Mirrors - Comp. Werkes Stainless fender eliminator/tag bracket - 60w/55w H4 headlights
Tires: Metzler MEZ4B 120/70 ZR17 Front - Michelin Madacam 100x 150/70 ZR18 Rear
Brakes:Stock rotors with EBC HH Sinstered pads
In the works: YZF600 header, '97 Bandit 600 rear wheel, DynoJet Stage 3, Racetech Springs and Emulators fork rebuild, FZ1 rear shock, YZF600 front MC, Galfer SS Lines, CFM rearsets
shredex
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by shredex »

i think im gonna wait to try and weld it.
it is split apart from the bottom where it meets the engine case up to the front circle part...its split like 1/16 apart.
im gonna clamp it together and try welding it...jb weld wont hold the thing together...and I have to squezz it together in order to put it on, so im gonna wait and weld it today
reelrazor
Wrench
Wrench

Post by reelrazor »

shredex wrote:the cover is cast aluminum...isnt that like impossible to weld?
Impossible..no. Hard? Tricky? for sure.

The biggie is to keep it from warping. I'd clamp it down to a steel plate to help pull heat away. The weld bead needs to be as flat as possible,too convex or concave WILL crack.

The other option would be to remount it on the engine...but welding out-of-position (vertical or oevrhead welding) on cast aluminum is VERY VERY tricky...it woud almost require laying the bike on it's side (no gas tank or battery mind you) so you can weld flat.

If you are using wire feed it would help to grind a 'vee' down the crack.

welding aluminum is all about the three 'c's..they are CLEAN, CLEAN, CLEAN.
http://www.michiganmobileservice.com/

“A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.”-Douglas Adams

http://www.youtube.com/user/reelrazor
shredex
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by shredex »

welll, we cleaned the surface with a grinder and some cleaning solvent stuff used to clean before welding...
I dont know what type of welding we used....he had some sort of aluminum rod and he used a torch to heat the surface of the cover then rubbed the rod onto it and in melted onto it...it worked, but it also warped it a bit.
i put liquid gasket onto the mount on the bike and the cover and let it dry then installed it.
there was a gap on the very bottom after that from the warping which I filld with jb weld, then added more liquid gasket to it.
I ran the bike, there is no leaks at idle or when I reved it up, so hopefully Ill be good till I can find another cover which im finding no help with both this forum or the archives lol
cad600
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by cad600 »

That cover is not an item a lot of people keep extras of. Even though it is one of the easiest things to brake on these bikes.

Last one I bought was from eBay. Here are two on there now.

Number1

Number2
Yes, that is a Single Sided Swingarm FZR600 that I built.

Something is lurking, waiting, wanting to be built......It calls to me from the darkness....

I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel....Then I realize that it is the train coming to run my ass over....