Rear suspension

FZR600 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

the_finch
Level 8.5
Level 8.5

Rear suspension

Post by the_finch »

Some days I hate the previous owner. Almost finished the FZ1 shock swap last night and it turns out the two bearings on the dogbone pivot on the swingarm are rusted solid due to years of neglect. Apparently when the manual says to lube the suspension, what it means is to spray some chain lube at the joint.

Now I either overpay the local dealership and invest another $70 in the rear end (not to mention $40 for the bearing puller) or try to figure out what the bearing size is and just overpay for the oils seals.
:swear

Does anyone happen to know the size of those bearings off the top of their head?

Numbers 6, 7, and 8 in the pic are fried.

1997 FZR600RJ

Engine: K&N Drop-in air filter - stock airbox - FP 5°ignition advancer - EBC "Street Racer" Kevlar clutch
Exhaust: Stock header - Yoshimura RS-3 Carbon fiber slip-on
Body: Original paint/graphics - Clear Alternatives integrated LED Taillight - Flanders' flush front signals - YZF600 Mirrors - Comp. Werkes Stainless fender eliminator/tag bracket - 60w/55w H4 headlights
Tires: Metzler MEZ4B 120/70 ZR17 Front - Michelin Madacam 100x 150/70 ZR18 Rear
Brakes:Stock rotors with EBC HH Sinstered pads
In the works: YZF600 header, '97 Bandit 600 rear wheel, DynoJet Stage 3, Racetech Springs and Emulators fork rebuild, FZ1 rear shock, YZF600 front MC, Galfer SS Lines, CFM rearsets
thatkid
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Re: Rear suspension

Post by thatkid »

Go to autozone and rent a blind bearing puller. They are free to rent, they'll just take a deposit. Order the bearings off flatoutmotorcycle.com I'm shipping your rearsets tomorrow and I'll send a loaner linkage if you'd like until the bearings and seals get in.
Do YOU Scopper?

"When some people cry, it's not because they’re weak. It’s because they’ve been strong for far too long."
the_finch
Level 8.5
Level 8.5

Post by the_finch »

thatkid wrote:Go to autozone and rent a blind bearing puller. They are free to rent, they'll just take a deposit. Order the bearings off flatoutmotorcycle.com I'm shipping your rearsets tomorrow and I'll send a loaner linkage if you'd like until the bearings and seals get in.
Thanks for the help Nate, and for the offer of the loaner linkage, but in this case I don't think it will help.

All of the bearings in the shock knuckle are okay; I already pulled the sleeves out and re-greased all of the bearings. It's the bearings in the tube welded to the bottom of the swingarm itself that are rusted and locked up. I have a spare sleeve in a swingarm that Mark (95FZR600) gave me, but I can't get either the original or spare sleeve in without driving the bearings out, so I can't temporarily rig it to work.

The bearings are good in the spare swingarm also, but I figured that I wold destroy them in the process of removal, so I didn't even consider swapping the bearings out of the spare swingarm into mine. I'll rent the bearing puller (didn't realize that was one of the tools Autozone carried for rent) tomorrow and pull the old bearings out. If it looks like I might be able to remove the bearings in the spare swinger without damaging them I might get away without having to purchase any new bearings.
1997 FZR600RJ

Engine: K&N Drop-in air filter - stock airbox - FP 5°ignition advancer - EBC "Street Racer" Kevlar clutch
Exhaust: Stock header - Yoshimura RS-3 Carbon fiber slip-on
Body: Original paint/graphics - Clear Alternatives integrated LED Taillight - Flanders' flush front signals - YZF600 Mirrors - Comp. Werkes Stainless fender eliminator/tag bracket - 60w/55w H4 headlights
Tires: Metzler MEZ4B 120/70 ZR17 Front - Michelin Madacam 100x 150/70 ZR18 Rear
Brakes:Stock rotors with EBC HH Sinstered pads
In the works: YZF600 header, '97 Bandit 600 rear wheel, DynoJet Stage 3, Racetech Springs and Emulators fork rebuild, FZ1 rear shock, YZF600 front MC, Galfer SS Lines, CFM rearsets
thatkid
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by thatkid »

Right, I need to pay more attention about where those little lines are coming from on the diagram. I wish you luck in pulling the bearings. I was not able to pull mine without damage. Those roller bar bearings or whatever you want to call them are housed in a pretty flimsy casing. It bends pretty easy and there isn't a lot for the bearing puller to grab hold of. Maybe if you're really gentle and patient.....
Do YOU Scopper?

"When some people cry, it's not because they’re weak. It’s because they’ve been strong for far too long."
cad600
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by cad600 »

Hey Aaron, if you can get one of the rusted ones out let me know what the size of it is (outside dia, inside dia, and thickness) and if there is a part number with it (that doesn't look like a Yamaha part number). I know of a few places that sell bearings and might be able to find a replacement without buying from Yamaha.
Yes, that is a Single Sided Swingarm FZR600 that I built.

Something is lurking, waiting, wanting to be built......It calls to me from the darkness....

I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel....Then I realize that it is the train coming to run my ass over....
aaronb
Site Newbie

Post by aaronb »

I just ordered one for mine as I bust it while fitting some new dog bones what I'm now thinking is a silly idea. I am picking up the new one tomorrow so I can post the part number if you want. Mines a 400 though and I am getting it from a industrial and commercial bearing shop. The pivot bearing at the bottom of the shock doesn't have any numbers so i think that's going to cause me trouble. The one your looking for is refered to as a needle bearing.