YZF SWINGARM SWAP..... DONE!

Got a Yamazuki or a Yamonda? This section is for those who are a little more creative...

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

PIMPMYFZR
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Re: Another YZF swingarm?! UGH, enough already!

Post by PIMPMYFZR »

war2008 wrote:going to go pick up a 05 swinger for 40 bucks, no hardware....worth it?
40 bucks isnt bad im sure if you look hard enough you can find a whole setup somtimes , but the hardware < collars , spacers ectt,, all run about $20 a piece then you need the axle and chain tensioners and brake arm brake caliper .. if you have to buy all these seperate can cost a pretty penny unless you can find a setup on ebay or have a motorcycle salvage yard nearby and can just go pick what you need off a bike .
2002 R1 9k miles , Hotbodies undertail , Chopped Hindle Hi Mount , Solo Seat cowl,Frame sliders, little yellow yamaha wheel stickers .hehe
94' 600RR SOLD**
hid xenon
airtek solo tail
time for a 1000
R.I.P DaD 2/17/09 Your in my <3 always
jax
Level 2.0
Level 2.0

Post by jax »

Nice. Progress. Dont forget to make the inside of the tube the same diameter of the bearing before you try ti install them..
tampaFZR600
Level 4.0
Level 4.0

Post by tampaFZR600 »

jax wrote:Nice. Progress. Dont forget to make the inside of the tube the same diameter of the bearing before you try ti install them..
yea about this...I would like to take it to a shop and mill it....but....how safe do you think it is to do it with a drimel? Wont the slightest inconsistency cause a wobble or is it not that sensitive?
FZR 600 "bring back to life" project.... SHE LIVES!!!
FZR manual---->> http://commline.com/FZR/600/MANUAL/
PIMPMYFZR
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by PIMPMYFZR »

no just dont take too much off
your bearings are gonna ne to be press fit theres no way your gonna jamm them in there otherwise
2002 R1 9k miles , Hotbodies undertail , Chopped Hindle Hi Mount , Solo Seat cowl,Frame sliders, little yellow yamaha wheel stickers .hehe
94' 600RR SOLD**
hid xenon
airtek solo tail
time for a 1000
tampaFZR600
Level 4.0
Level 4.0

Post by tampaFZR600 »

PIMPMYFZR wrote:no just dont take too much off
your bearings are gonna ne to be press fit theres no way your gonna jamm them in there otherwise
well my friend told me a trick that i'm going to try to get the bearings in. I guess you freeze them and then heat up the
swing tube, and then put the frozen bearing in. :thumbsup:
PIMPMYFZR
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by PIMPMYFZR »

tampaFZR600 wrote:
PIMPMYFZR wrote:no just dont take too much off
well my friend told me a trick that i'm going to try to get the bearings in. I guess you freeze them and then heat up the
swing tube, and then put the frozen bearing in. :thumbsup:
yea good luck , but i think i would just take it to the machine shop or where your friend cut the swingarm down im sure they have a press ... but try that trick i heard about it too but had access to a press so i bypassed or else i woulda tried it too
94' 600RR SOLD**
hid xenon
airtek solo tail
time for a 1000
jax
Level 2.0
Level 2.0

Post by jax »

I used a dremel. That lip at the bottom doesnt matter if it isnt perfect to round because the upper part of the tube is and will hold the bearing in like its supposed to. Its better to be wider than the upper part than tighter because if you press the bearing in and its too tight down there it could cause the bearing to warp and then your pivot tube wont fit in the bearing. So just use a dremel and eyeball it. You'll be fine.

Don't forget....If your going to use the stock FZR knuckle you need to also shave like 1/16th or a little bit more than that off of the other little tube on the swinger also. Its going to have to match the length of the FZR knuckle. Just use a socket that matches the bearing and drive it in a lil bit with a hammer. And If you want to retain stock ride height your going to have to make yourself some new shorter dogbones. About 1/4 inch shorter than stock. Your ride will be a bit stiff so adjust your shock to setting #1 then adjust it from there to your liking after you ride it.

tampaFZR600
Level 4.0
Level 4.0

Post by tampaFZR600 »

awesome jax, thanks for the info. no issues and you have been riding it right?
tampaFZR600
Level 4.0
Level 4.0

Post by tampaFZR600 »

Got the RK 520 gold chain from bmiller and the front JTsprocket in. eeeeya yaaa
PIMPMYFZR
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by PIMPMYFZR »

your almost there , now just polish everything and get'r ready to ride
94' 600RR SOLD**
hid xenon
airtek solo tail
time for a 1000
jax
Level 2.0
Level 2.0

Post by jax »

tampaFZR600 wrote:awesome jax, thanks for the info. no issues and you have been riding it right?

Yep. I've ridden about 100 miles so far with no problems. I checked the tightness of everything and it was good. I dont anticipate any problems. Ride is a little bit stiff even with the shock on the softest setting but I will take car of that later with a R6 shock.
tampaFZR600
Level 4.0
Level 4.0

Post by tampaFZR600 »

PIMPMYFZR wrote:your almost there , now just polish everything and get'r ready to ride
i WISH it were that easy for me man. I didn't tell you guys the story of how I got a FZR600 for 150 bucks and don't know if it even runs lol. I still need to ...

-clean gas tank
-buy battery
-get rear tire
-make sure tranny and motor work with no issues.
-sandblast and paint frame and rear wheel
-paint frame, wheel, swingarm
-get new stator and cover

then cosmetically....

-new front fairing....or fix the really f'd one i have
-new left fairing, and repair the right one i have
-new RR fairing or get a new tail of some kind... i like the 99-02 R6 tail, but i might stick with the R1 airtech...
-and last on the list, i want an HID...anyone know the bulb size for these? i have the single headlight

then i will be "done" lol
fzraudun
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by fzraudun »

Just finished my conversion today, and my rear end got stiffer, no sag at all.... How come? Im using FZR knuckle and the same Fox twinclicker shock....
jax
Level 2.0
Level 2.0

Post by jax »

fzraudun wrote:Just finished my conversion today, and my rear end got stiffer, no sag at all.... How come? Im using FZR knuckle and the same Fox twinclicker shock....

if you used the FZR bones then its probably because its putting a preload on the shock since the FZR bones are shorter...

try adjusting your shock to its lowest setting and seeing how it feels there.
fzraudun
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by fzraudun »

Hmmm.. I used some old FZR "heightening" bones. About an inch shorter than original FZR. The bike is at correct height now, but I'll loosen the preload some....