The FZ-R1 project Update:10/8/14

Got a Yamazuki or a Yamonda? This section is for those who are a little more creative...

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

match417
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Re: The FZ-R1 project (lots of pictures)

Post by match417 »

you sure you don't just have to push the pistons back out so they will slip over the rotors? Your fizzer rotors might have just be worn down and the pistons might need to just be farther out to slip over the new rotors. Or take a grinding wheel to your brake pads..lol..I wouldn't do it, but it would work.
check out my car and bike projects on http://youtube.com/match417
thatkid
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by thatkid »

95FZR600 wrote:you need R1 calipers if your going to use R1 forks.

The R6 calipers he had are the same.
Do YOU Scopper?

"When some people cry, it's not because they’re weak. It’s because they’ve been strong for far too long."
shredex
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by shredex »

thatkid wrote:
95FZR600 wrote:you need R1 calipers if your going to use R1 forks.

The R6 calipers he had are the same.

correct.

match,
I tried spreading the pistons in the r6 cal, but they wouldnt spread far enough for me to get them on.
Im in the proccess of bleeding the r1 cals...
i havent seen an air bubble in the past 100 arounds and the brakes still dont work.
my hands and forearms are tired as hell..
match417
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by match417 »

how are you bleeding them? Try using a syringe and a vacuum line, suck up some brake fluid and put it into the caliper, force the fluid upward as opposed to letting it drain downward. Just make sure you lock the bleed screw shut before you take off the syringe. I have a howto in the wiki section. It takes 5 minutes.

I borrowed a syringe from a nurse friend I have..the ones for fish tanks should work better because it's bigger, the one i used was small.
shredex
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by shredex »

match417 wrote:how are you bleeding them? Try using a syringe and a vacuum line, suck up some brake fluid and put it into the caliper, force the fluid upward as opposed to letting it drain downward. Just make sure you lock the bleed screw shut before you take off the syringe. I have a howto in the wiki section. It takes 5 minutes.

I borrowed a syringe from a nurse friend I have..the ones for fish tanks should work better because it's bigger, the one i used was small.
well, duann (sweek) and Rock told me the basics.
your wiki helped alot. well, the only thing that helped me was the "open and close quickly!"
I was opening and let sit till all the fluids came out then shut...
after I read that though, I did it all in about 2 min...now I have a working brake system with r1 cals!

thanks sweek, rock, and Match!
match417
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by match417 »

yeah, you can't let the stream droop, it has to be open and shut almost immediately, once it starts to droop there is pressure being released.
shredex
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by shredex »

hmmm...whats that??? R1 USD forks on Shreds bike?

biggest mod Iv done...and yet, the least amount of pics...
welded washer to bottom of stem to insure it wasnt going anywhere.

eww

R1 tank

everything that needs to be welded.
megaloxana
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by megaloxana »

forks look good shred. Good luck getting that tank welded. Whats next? swingarm swap?
'92 FZR 600
Airtech R1 kit \*/ 520 conversion \*/ 14F-47R gearing
K&N pod filters \*/ Stage 3 jet kit \*/ Factory Pro shift kit \*/ Full V&H SS exhaust
Custom '02 R6 undertail \*/ YZF gas tank \*/ Raised via dogbones \*/ custom flush turnsignals
Full R6 brake set-up \*/ SS lines \*/ Progressive fork springs \*/ ZX2 coilpack

ADD YOURSELF TO THE OFFICIAL FZRONLINE GOOGLE EARTH MAP :bunny :banjoman
R3TARD
Level 4.5
Level 4.5

Post by R3TARD »

LOOKING GOOD !!!!!

1992 FZR 600
Yoshi exhaust
K&N pods
Airtech R1-kit
02 R6 fork swap
02 R6 Swingarm
520 chain conversion
07 R6 controls
Vortex R6 clipons
07 R6 radial master

2003 CBR 600rr
bone stock
the_finch
Level 8.5
Level 8.5

Post by the_finch »

Nice!
1997 FZR600RJ

Engine: K&N Drop-in air filter - stock airbox - FP 5°ignition advancer - EBC "Street Racer" Kevlar clutch
Exhaust: Stock header - Yoshimura RS-3 Carbon fiber slip-on
Body: Original paint/graphics - Clear Alternatives integrated LED Taillight - Flanders' flush front signals - YZF600 Mirrors - Comp. Werkes Stainless fender eliminator/tag bracket - 60w/55w H4 headlights
Tires: Metzler MEZ4B 120/70 ZR17 Front - Michelin Madacam 100x 150/70 ZR18 Rear
Brakes:Stock rotors with EBC HH Sinstered pads
In the works: YZF600 header, '97 Bandit 600 rear wheel, DynoJet Stage 3, Racetech Springs and Emulators fork rebuild, FZ1 rear shock, YZF600 front MC, Galfer SS Lines, CFM rearsets
shredex
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by shredex »

havent updated in awhile...

I got the r1 stay and mirriors and installed them friday night.
I need to make a new bracket though because I messed up on the first one so the nose points to far up...easy fix though.
installed 01 R6 clutch side controls ($15)
im installing 01 R6 clutch lever/bracket ($10)
i need the little screw that holds the cable there because the fzr screw is to small and wont swap over :(

i got headers from an 01 R6 ($35) and allready have them stretched to fit the FZR.
Went on a 60 mile trip to Deathcomesarippen's (jacob's) house and we stretched the headers using his awesome reverse clamp thing...
welded up the lower bracket at the shop...
Im am doing something different from TK...Im keeping the H-pipe by added more pipe to it instead of just welding up the holes...
The H-pipe equalizes the presure between the two pipes which give it better performance... (I talked to this motorcycle mechanic that knows...well...alot.)
right now im just waiting for my R6 Scorpion oval slip-on($35 shipped?) to come before I install the headers.

I have 04-06 r1 guages ($50 shipped, the speed display doesnt work...il try and fix it) coming along with the r1 undertail exhausts($60 shipped).
my brother has a pipe bender so I might be able to get pipe bent around everything and come up under the tail.
if I cant get the undertail going, then the r1 undertail pipe actually looks sweet on the side. so I might put it there, lol. and sell the scorpion slip-on.

I also ordered a rearstand from ebay which was about $51.20 shipped...

all and all...Im going to need a new upper/left mid/both lowers to get the bike looking good.

oh yea, and i learned how to clutch it up today :) yut ughhhhhhhhh
DEMORAL1ZE
100+ Posts
100+ Posts
Location: SOUTHEAST MISSOURI--------LAND OF THE FREE, HOME OF THE BRAVE

Post by DEMORAL1ZE »

:thumbsup: Sweet.................i saw your sig pic the other day and was wondering how it was going. Did you get the tank thing figured out?

oh yeah :yutugh2:
YOU CAN TWIST PERCEPTION BUT REALITY WON'T BUDGE
shredex
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by shredex »

I just need to buy some sheet metal to weld to the tank.
i also want to pay my machinist to weld it up since it will take some time and there cant be any air holes.
he will do it for free, but he really could use the money.
he has a huge shop full of every tool and machine yet he has no work...he is behind on his rent for both his shop and house...so he could use a little extra cash.
I need to buy a keyless gascap also, and make that plate for the bottom that holds the petcok.
if i can find a r1 fuel pump that doesnt work, then I could use that, because there is a petcok on the fuelpump and I wouldnt have to make a plate...
megaloxana
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by megaloxana »

shredex wrote:Im going to need a new upper/left mid/both lowers to get the bike looking good.
how come?
'92 FZR 600
Airtech R1 kit \*/ 520 conversion \*/ 14F-47R gearing
K&N pod filters \*/ Stage 3 jet kit \*/ Factory Pro shift kit \*/ Full V&H SS exhaust
Custom '02 R6 undertail \*/ YZF gas tank \*/ Raised via dogbones \*/ custom flush turnsignals
Full R6 brake set-up \*/ SS lines \*/ Progressive fork springs \*/ ZX2 coilpack

ADD YOURSELF TO THE OFFICIAL FZRONLINE GOOGLE EARTH MAP :bunny :banjoman
shredex
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by shredex »

megaloxana wrote:
shredex wrote:Im going to need a new upper/left mid/both lowers to get the bike looking good.
how come?
the upper bottom part under the headlight is snapped off and the parts where it connects are to small to plastic weld.
left mid might be able to salvage...just need to add some bondo and a nice paint job...paint job will cost as much as a new fairing...
the exhaust melted threw the lower right which was in good condition, it was just rattle canned black.
the lower left has alot of rashand i tried repairing it a long time ago, but its just going to be easier to buy another for $20...

im gonna try and find a blue upper/ravon leftm mid and both lowers...im gonna keep the bike half ravon half blue/black...its more one of a kind and keeps it from being boring...

Im not gonna go into getting some more fairings for awhile though...I can wait for deals...its not a neccessity.
probably be a few more months