Project 44 - 400/YZF Hybrid SHE STARTED TODAY!!!!!!

Got a Yamazuki or a Yamonda? This section is for those who are a little more creative...

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

shredex
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Re: Project 44 - China_racer_1's 400/YZF Hybrid

Post by shredex »

yea, the front fairing on the gold forked bike with no front wheel looks to be a zx6r front.
Have you gotten the yzf motor to ya yet?
China_Racer_1
Level 5.0
Level 5.0

Post by China_Racer_1 »

The Engine was returned to Hong Kong by Chinese Customs who would not allow it in. At least it was not confiscated!

I need to try again in a few weeks. Kind of sucks but nothing I can do.

It will get here eventually.

About the time Spyder sends me the missing parts for it that UPS lost. Then it is time to hustle to get it all together and tested before the 21st of March Race.
China_Racer_1
Level 5.0
Level 5.0

Post by China_Racer_1 »

Update:

My engine has been sent back for a 2nd try to get across the border.

This time its in with a race bike so the shipper (My race team manager) has a bit more interest in the shipment getting through.

I will find out tomorrow if it made it. Once in the PRC I can get it flown up to me for about 100 USD and have it in my hands in 24 hours.

I hope this is the case. Will let you know.
China_Racer_1
Level 5.0
Level 5.0

Post by China_Racer_1 »

Well Good News. My Engine made it across the border this morning and is on its way to me.

I get it the day after tomorow deliverd to my house. Now I am glad I swaped the 4- Engine out. I will stuf that bitch in my frame the moment it hits my driveway.

I still have parts to put on the parts UPS lost and Spyder is gathering for me. But I have body work to fit wheels to align, exhausts to have made. I think I will go with a open header with a really loud can for the back end and let he breath. I got velicity stacks going onthe Flat slides I want it to scream and let everyone know I am behind them.

So much shit still to do. But now I can do it.

Pcs on the way in a few days of the progress.

Tnight Iclean teh garage and set up my tools adn bolt bind ready to hit it hard when she lands.

I amactually buildign two bikes side by side.

The project 44 bike as well as the trainer bike for ANdrew. When the 3TJ arrives I can not even think how to explain that to the wife. lol
90ca18det
Site Newbie

Post by 90ca18det »

Glad to hear that it finally made it's way over the border. :shocker
China_Racer_1
Level 5.0
Level 5.0

Post by China_Racer_1 »

Engine arrives tomorrow and goes in soon after. Its holiday time here (Chiense New years) so I have a few days off and can wrench on this thing for a bit more than an hour here and an hour there.

Its sub zero here right now at night brrrrrrrr
China_Racer_1
Level 5.0
Level 5.0

Post by China_Racer_1 »

Well I got her in hand today and stuffed here in the frame. All went well though I need to hunt down a few bolts that are missing.

The YZF engine has a few extra mounting holes on her which I suspect I don't need to use. Maybe it was cheaper for Yamaha to use the same engine with a moutning system that is slightly different but keep the old casings.

I have made a therad in the General section out lining a few issues I am having. In particular is the flat slides not fitting in the frame. I really want to use these carbs and am willing to mod the frame a bit to make them fit.

Now that I can see where the sprocket is I also can get the rear end machiend and finished up.

Soo much little things to do and so little time.

Argh! But its up to me now and Spyder to get the parts to me that went missing from the UPS fiasco. Spyder knows what I need to button the engine up though, so he can make short work of it all.

I also need to get the Hindle header on ASAP and get the tail pipe made up form my exhaust manufacturer. i think a shorty 10" tri oval can like the other one I have will do just fine. Butt his one will be louder and more open.

Velocity stacks need to be machined out as well.

Damed image shack is not working or I could get pic going
megaloxana
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by megaloxana »

China_Racer_1 wrote:Damed image shack is not working or I could get pic going
use the fzronline gallery
'92 FZR 600
Airtech R1 kit \*/ 520 conversion \*/ 14F-47R gearing
K&N pod filters \*/ Stage 3 jet kit \*/ Factory Pro shift kit \*/ Full V&H SS exhaust
Custom '02 R6 undertail \*/ YZF gas tank \*/ Raised via dogbones \*/ custom flush turnsignals
Full R6 brake set-up \*/ SS lines \*/ Progressive fork springs \*/ ZX2 coilpack

ADD YOURSELF TO THE OFFICIAL FZRONLINE GOOGLE EARTH MAP :bunny :banjoman
China_Racer_1
Level 5.0
Level 5.0

Post by China_Racer_1 »

Here is the progress I have made to date;

I managed to get the Hindle header on. it was a bit of a bear but its on and the can I have fits so all is well though I think I might need to angle it up a bit more to avoid scraping the ground... thoughts?

Her is an issue I really need some input on. THe flat slides are hitting actually the linkage is. I plan a mod but here is what I have. You can see the intake boot and just how far off the carbs are

To make a fix I am planning on having an Australian buddy of mine who is a good welder to help cut out a pocket and then weld in some supports to retain the frames strength I can see no other way to make it all work. Ithe pocket will be a box welded in the place I cut out with more supprots added.

Just an FYI here is my race harness for teh 400 trainer bike. I plan to do about the same for the YZf harness. Simple and easy to trace if issues arise.
shredex
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by shredex »

I want a 400 frame....and a yzf motor...

im jeleous.

nice work!
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

Steve,
I asked on another forum and the other guys just used a heavy hammer (with a suitable shaped dolly in one case ) to work a nice big dent into the side of the spar. 2 off them actually used heat to stress relieve the area before & AFTER.

Only one has done it as you are thinking and his is bigger "hole that he put a curved patch into with NO straights what so ever that could cause stress centers over time & use ie his hole patch is rugby ball shaped kinda section (his words ) He also heated the the area after wards to relive any worked / welding stress ( he used CO2 welding but he said argon arc could have been used it was just what he had to hand at the time .
China_Racer_1
Level 5.0
Level 5.0

Post by China_Racer_1 »

Geaorge,

Thanks, I will look into hammering it in but it seems a long stretch to hammer. I am guesing slow deliberate hammering and not a few hard smacks that rock the bike off its wheels huh? ha ha

better than cutting and hacking I guess.

For heat treating we just heat and let cool naturally?

I cN gt soME fire blanket and wrap the area after to cool slow if need be.
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

China_Racer_1 wrote:Geaorge,

Thanks, I will look into hammering it in but it seems a long stretch to hammer.
Steve no one ever said bike modding was easy (and if they did they were F'ing lying thro their teeth)
China_Racer_1 wrote: I am guesing slow deliberate hammering and not a few hard smacks that rock the bike off its wheels huh? ha ha
Yup slowly slowly catchee monkee
China_Racer_1 wrote:better than cutting and hacking I guess.
Steve it depends what welding plant you have at hand you need deep penetration of weld here for max strength and remember no straights to act as stress concentrators

For heat treating we just heat and let cool naturally?

I cN gt soME fire blanket and wrap the area after to cool slow if need be.[/quote]

Slower the better
China_Racer_1
Level 5.0
Level 5.0

Post by China_Racer_1 »

George,

I got a 15 pound sledge hammer and started smacking the inside of the frame with it as hard as Icould swing it..... ok just kidding. I will get a smal ball peen hammer and go slow and steady to do what needs to be done.

If it looks like a no go I will use my welder friend.

moding bikes is easy and fun withno issues it always goes perfect and everything fits...... then I woke up to reality ha ha.
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

China_Racer_1 wrote:George,

I got a 15 pound sledge hammer and started smacking the inside of the frame with it as hard as Icould swing it..... ok just kidding. I will get a smal ball peen hammer and go slow and steady to do what needs to be done.

If it looks like a no go I will use my welder friend.

moding bikes is easy and fun withno issues it always goes perfect and everything fits...... then I woke up to reality ha ha.

Steve ,
It would be better to use a Plannashing (car body hammer ) hammer they have curve faces at the "flat" end so as not to leave edge marks, the ball will stretch the metal but actually pierce the metal if the metal work hardens too much.

if push comes to shove then I would use a linnishing machine (belt sander) flap wheel on an angle grinder to modify the flat end of the ball peen hammer and drop back the edges by about 2mm and leave anice even curve all over.

apart from all this you may want to look at :-
http://www.400greybike.cc/newforum/view ... =37&t=4143

Page 2 is about your problem well ish any way.