why a swing arm swap? this is more about tires.

FZR600 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

cad600
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Re: why a swing arm swap? this is more about tires.

Post by cad600 »

Skeeter and George are both correct. Wheel size (which also involves availability) and compound selection is the biggest reason for swapping. Just wanting a wider rear tire is definatly a personal dicision.

And I did ride the bike with the SSSA on it. Even if it was only for 10 minutes.
Yes, that is a Single Sided Swingarm FZR600 that I built.

Something is lurking, waiting, wanting to be built......It calls to me from the darkness....

I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel....Then I realize that it is the train coming to run my ass over....
kikepiz
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by kikepiz »

Guys, im lost a little here...

The GXS R wheel can't hold a 180 tire with out changing the FZR swing arm?
Does a FZR with a single sided swing arm exist running, or it was a project pic?

:headscratch:
cad600
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by cad600 »

kikepiz wrote:Guys, im lost a little here...

The GXS R wheel can't hold a 180 tire with out changing the FZR swing arm?
Does a FZR with a single sided swing arm exist running, or it was a project pic?

:headscratch:
You need to swap the FZR swingarm out if you want bigger than a 160 really. There are many things that start to get in the way if you don't.

And the Single Sided Swingarm is a mod I''m doing to my FZR. I had it running and rideable when I had another mishap and fried the engine. So I'm fixing a different engine to put in it while I'm sorting some other things out. Here is a link to the thread and a picture for you. The picture was taken just after the first time I rode it with the conversion, it has been adjusted a little now. viewtopic.php?f=30&t=181

Something is lurking, waiting, wanting to be built......It calls to me from the darkness....

I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel....Then I realize that it is the train coming to run my ass over....
95FZR600
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by 95FZR600 »

And if you want a 99-02 R6 swinger I have a complete write-up with lots of pics. Also, see below.
2002 Yamaha R6-----2003 Yamaha R6

yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

95FZR600 wrote:And if you want a 99-02 R6 swinger I have a complete write-up with lots of pics. Also, see below.

I have two write ups for swing arm replacements that are straight bolt ins no real machine work required at:-

http://www.saltmine.org.uk/fzr/swingarm.html

http://www.saltmine.org.uk/fzr/3tj-mod.html
reelrazor
Wrench
Wrench

Post by reelrazor »

I myself would be leery of installing a much wider than stock tire at one end of any bike.

Wider is not always better. Wide can ruin the fine handling of many bikes that were not engineered for such wide rubber.

And when you go really wide at the rear and not have a corresponding increase in width at the front you change the oversteer/understeer/neutral balance of the bike. Bikes I have ridden with really wide rears, and 'normal' fronts feel like they want to push the front end around.

One of the things I like about the FZR is its' very fine handling. That handling is predicated on a range of factors..chassis geometry(which onteh FZR was optimised for the tire widths of its' day), and that balance of front/rear tire width/profile.

And there isn't a 150 out there that isn't capable of dealing with the power that the FZR can muster.

That just my opinion tho.
http://www.michiganmobileservice.com/

“A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.”-Douglas Adams

http://www.youtube.com/user/reelrazor
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

reelrazor wrote:I myself would be leery of installing a much wider than stock tire at one end of any bike.

Wider is not always better. Wide can ruin the fine handling of many bikes that were not engineered for such wide rubber.

And when you go really wide at the rear and not have a corresponding increase in width at the front you change the oversteer/understeer/neutral balance of the bike. Bikes I have ridden with really wide rears, and 'normal' fronts feel like they want to push the front end around.

One of the things I like about the FZR is its' very fine handling. That handling is predicated on a range of factors..chassis geometry(which onteh FZR was optimised for the tire widths of its' day), and that balance of front/rear tire width/profile.

And there isn't a 150 out there that isn't capable of dealing with the power that the FZR can muster.

RR,
+5 on that, to me wide rubber is a " FAD" thing to make your bike look "BAD" and bad it will be for all the reasons you mention.

There is enough rubber solutions out there for 17" rears with out going beyond 150 , yes if you are running 18 rear then you are tied in a bit but there are what 3 makes in 18's :- Bridgestone , Avon, Pirelli but not much in those as to type of rubber / grip variant.
the_finch
Level 8.5
Level 8.5

Post by the_finch »

yamaha_george wrote:
reelrazor wrote:Wider is not always better. Wide can ruin the fine handling of many bikes that were not engineered for such wide rubber...And there isn't a 150 out there that isn't capable of dealing with the power that the FZR can muster...
RR,
+5 on that, to me wide rubber is a " FAD" thing to make your bike look "BAD" and bad it will be for all the reasons you mention.

There is enough rubber solutions out there for 17" rears with out going beyond 150 , yes if you are running 18 rear then you are tied in a bit but there are what 3 makes in 18's :- Bridgestone , Avon, Pirelli but not much in those as to type of rubber / grip variant.
When I finish the Bandit wheel swap I'm only putting a 150 on there, but the tire profile should make it handle better than my flat-topped Michelin that's on the stock rim right now.
1997 FZR600RJ

Engine: K&N Drop-in air filter - stock airbox - FP 5°ignition advancer - EBC "Street Racer" Kevlar clutch
Exhaust: Stock header - Yoshimura RS-3 Carbon fiber slip-on
Body: Original paint/graphics - Clear Alternatives integrated LED Taillight - Flanders' flush front signals - YZF600 Mirrors - Comp. Werkes Stainless fender eliminator/tag bracket - 60w/55w H4 headlights
Tires: Metzler MEZ4B 120/70 ZR17 Front - Michelin Madacam 100x 150/70 ZR18 Rear
Brakes:Stock rotors with EBC HH Sinstered pads
In the works: YZF600 header, '97 Bandit 600 rear wheel, DynoJet Stage 3, Racetech Springs and Emulators fork rebuild, FZ1 rear shock, YZF600 front MC, Galfer SS Lines, CFM rearsets
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

the_finch wrote:
yamaha_george wrote:
reelrazor wrote:Wider is not always better. Wide can ruin the fine handling of many bikes that were not engineered for such wide rubber...And there isn't a 150 out there that isn't capable of dealing with the power that the FZR can muster...
RR,

When I finish the Bandit wheel swap I'm only putting a 150 on there, but the tire profile should make it handle better than my flat-topped Michelin that's on the stock rim right now.
Finch ,
yup providing you lay it over in the corners regularly and no burnouts & doughnuts LOL
95FZR600
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by 95FZR600 »

yamaha_george wrote:
reelrazor wrote:I myself would be leery of installing a much wider than stock tire at one end of any bike.

RR,

My bike handles better and looks "RAD" LOL2
2002 Yamaha R6-----2003 Yamaha R6

abs929cbrrr
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by abs929cbrrr »

well as we all know ABS (me because i related to my self in the 3rd person) really liked the 95-07 yzf600r swingarm swap with the 99-02 R6 wheel stuffed in it. bmiller copied me and did the same thing on his yzf600r the r6 wheel swap. its simple and easy and it baffels me why no one else has coppied me
02 xr200r set up for XC
96 trx300ex set up for XC

im roadbike less!!!!!!
shredex
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by shredex »

I got my BT014 150/60/18 on my bike and I love the thing.

you cant get much wider without the swingarm swap.
or the gsxr wheel swap.

I heard you can use the 160/60/18 as well, but I just stuck with the 150 just in case.
kikepiz
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by kikepiz »

How about a 17 rim, 180 tire can it be done with out a swing arm swap?
bucket
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by bucket »

I found a 07-09 swing arm for $50 localy, The bigest problem I have with doing a swing arm swap is my rear tire is pretty new LOL. Know the front tire could use a change, any suggestions on that? :udaman
cad600
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by cad600 »

kikepiz wrote:How about a 17 rim, 180 tire can it be done with out a swing arm swap?
NO, you would have to swap the swingarm.