Custom Bike Dolly w/Integrated swingarm and Fork stands

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Re: Custom Bike Dolly w/Integrated swingarm and Fork stands

Post by yamaha_george »

bweight wrote:Absolutely George, I'll definitely take it into consideration though as I do know many people have swingarm spools and those make things easier to use the mounts.
B
I have had a number of very scary near accidents with the angle type lift plates slipping that I will not own a bike anymore without bobbins locking the stand from side ways slipping.the bike

On the 3he fitting bobbins is a little more trouble due to the center weld in each side of the swing arms arms, all the rest are a doddle to make and weld on .

Since you are kinda handy with a welder you may want to consider the bobbin mod.
bweight
Level 4.0
Level 4.0

Post by bweight »

That'll be something I'll look at too down the road.. I'm sorta used to the swingarm stand with those "L" brackets and with the dolly, the bike will be strapped down once it's locked in place. I'm not going to say it WON'T move, just that it shouldn't.. If I was to put the spools on there, it wouldn't be overly difficult, however the way the stand's built, may prove to be a little challenge as the rear section is fixed and may require some un-fixing to get it to line up further forward on the swingarm..

We'll see what happens though.
89 FZR 400
Custom Paintjob
600 plastics.
06 - R6 Shock
FZR600 Motor
Polished Frame & Engine Covers

Soon to be:
Broke........

FZROnline.com Decals. Get yours Now!!!
95FZR600
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by 95FZR600 »

What are you going to do when you mount that 180 tire on there? LOL

That stand is freakin awesome. I love it.
2002 Yamaha R6-----2003 Yamaha R6

Dragon
Level 2.5
Level 2.5

Post by Dragon »

Geez!!
Why couldn't you think about this earlier? J/K
Got to say "This is sweet!!!"
One thing you might have to think about is when you raise the front of the bike, the rear(swing arm) is going to slip on the L brackets you have to support the rear of the bike. You should think of putting the rear on rollers, so you don't have so much friction on the swing arm. Just test out raising the front of the bike while it's on the rear stand and see what I mean.(old stands if you still got them)While raising the front, it kind of pulls the bike forward a little before the front is raised. So with your stationary lift, it has to roll the bike forward a little to raise the front, so that's where the rollers comes in. You may have to carry the lift arms a little more forward so the bike don't fall off while you raise the front also. This is just my my2cents , :shutup: , but it does look awesome. I may be interested in buying one later down the road, after you get it all worked out. :thumbsup:

:udaman
bweight
Level 4.0
Level 4.0

Post by bweight »

Thanks guys,

95 - I haven't got a clue what I'm gonna do.. :D for now, no plans for different tires..

Dragon - I'll check that out when I get the front done.. lazy tonight, didn't go into the garage, plus it's getting cold out there again.. But when we were designing it, I knew that the bike moved when using the old swingarm stand and with us designing it so that the risers go straight up, we were hoping that it wouldn't move at all, or at the very least, not much.. If it doesn't move too much, we'll be alright. The one thing about how it's sitting right now is that the front section has to move slide back just a touch to catch the forks correctly. But the bike can also move back just a little bit as well so that the "L" brackets aren't quite so far back on the swingarm..

Another item to look at is the kickstand platform. That was something that we knew would have to be re-designed and beefed up, but it actually held the bike pretty good on there as is. I would just not feel comfortable with leaving it that way.

As for selling them, I've been thinking of ways to do it.. There's definitely a DIY set of plans that I'd like to work on and develop with proper drawings, material listings, instructions etc.. Just a LONG process to iron out everything with that.. I was/am also toying with the idea of selling in a kit form. Where everything is cut and ready to be welded, just boxed and shipped.. Would help with a smaller box size, however the weight would be the same almost as a complete unit... And then finally a completely finished setup.. We're still a little bit away from that obviously, but alot closer than not.
89 FZR 400
Custom Paintjob
600 plastics.
06 - R6 Shock
FZR600 Motor

Soon to be:
Broke........

Dragon
Level 2.5
Level 2.5

Post by Dragon »

Cool, I didn't realize the risers went straight up. Thought it kind of swung up like the regular stands. Guess you should be ok.
Still check it out though.... I'll keep my eye out,for when you figure out the selling part. :thumbsup:
ShogunTX
Level 4.5
Level 4.5

Post by ShogunTX »

I think you are on to somthing here, perhaps you should run it by the patent office before posting plans....I have seen a few heavy duty lifts but what you have created is really something else for the garage mechanic.
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

ShogunTX wrote:I think you are on to somthing here, perhaps you should run it by the patent office before posting plans....I have seen a few heavy duty lifts but what you have created is really something else for the garage mechanic.
Sound advice on the patent if the expected sales outways the patent lawyers cost.

Plans would be best IMO copyright law is easier to use than patent law, kits will be just as heavy as complete units just a tad smaller to pack. Shipping any thing these days seems exorbitant.

Electronic mailed plans,material sheets and cutting lists plus the kind of assembly drawing CAD6 turned out for the threaded steering stem project, you will have to bribe him well with a couple of cases of beer (on completion as his lines may not be straight after the first case LoL )
Less cost /outlay/labour with paper = more profit for more projects to be done = <BG>
bweight
Level 4.0
Level 4.0

Post by bweight »

I promised some pics of the bike secured with the wheels off the ground, and here they come.. We finished last night re-drilling the holes for the holding pins since we had to shorten up the risers, and everything works pretty good. There's a couple of issues that we need to address before I could even think of building one for anyone however. The first is the wheels. We're using 2" casters and my floor in the garage, being 40 years old, isn't the smoothest. It's a rough ride to roll the dolly around, so until we resurface my garage floor this summer, I'm gonna try with 3" casters and see how it goes. That should help another couple of clearance issues, but either way, the system works as it should.

The other issue is the front stands. They work as well, and the bike is solid, but I just don't 100% like them. We're gonna re-design the fronts probably using a different size angle for them which should alleviate any problems we can foresee...

Anyways, here's a few pics and a couple of videos showing the bike lifted and secured, as well as the wheels spinning freely..

Enjoy.. :)

Rear Wheel
Rear Wheel again
Front Wheel
Front Wheel Again
Another Front Wheel shot...
Entire bike pic...

And of course the videos turned out like shit.. You can't see em at all.. I'll take some better ones.. But take my word for it, the tire's off enough to remove them and they spin freely.. :)
89 FZR 400
Custom Paintjob
600 plastics.
06 - R6 Shock
FZR600 Motor

Soon to be:
Broke........