A productive weekend

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

mrfreeze5
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

A productive weekend

Post by mrfreeze5 »

Finally my baby is back inside away from all this damn snow and negative digit temps weve had lately. I moved it and the now project along with my tools to a friend's garage so that I can finish this thing over the winter. ok finish these things...And the new one thats coming tomorrow...hehehe Now I can finish my projects and also help my buddy build his first FZR project.

Waiting for the trailer to show up

Toolbox and misc small parts bins(aka mil crates) nestled out of the way

FZR chassis 2 set out of the way. I sure could use a shock...

Once we got everything nestled in, I got a little work done on the hybrid. I think I got more accomplished this weekend than I have all year on this thing. Its not a lot of visible stuff, but I have finally figured out how to do my exhaust properly and made a few other little tweaks here and there. Ive also figured out exactly how Im going to finish the bodywork and paint.

I also swapped out the tanks to a better looking YZF tank and am very happy with the results. I still need to tweak it a little though to make it fit perfectly. Now I just need the right belly pan and some headlights and she'll be almost ready for the road!

shredex
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Re: A productive weekend

Post by shredex »

mrfreeze5 wrote: Now I just need the right belly pan and some headlights and she'll be almost ready for the road!

why arnt you using the r6 front??
mrfreeze5
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by mrfreeze5 »

Thats a touchy subject. With it sitting for so long without it, ive become very fond of the look of it without fairings. I think what im going to do is since I will need to send my 400 frame to the welder once I get it, Im gonna make new mounts for the R6 nose then and once that frame is done, ill run full fairing. but for this year at least Im going to run it without fairings. Next winter, Ill either build my new frame and swap it over and make it full fairing, or Ill just build a copy with the 400 frame and go full fairing. And the other FZR project in there will be full fairing, so Ill have options next season.
shredex
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by shredex »

yea, it looks good as a fighter.
if grown fund to mine as well.
Im not into the streetfighter headlights though...wish I didnt need them, then I could run without.
or maybe get a little headlight to replace where the horn is..
mrfreeze5
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by mrfreeze5 »

I hate just about all the fighter headlights out there, but I found a set that i really like a lot. Just one set. And luckily its not $600 like most of them out there. I also like my clip ons. And those forks and triple just look beefy, I dont want to cover them up.
95FZR600
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by 95FZR600 »

Freeze, the yzf tank looks a whole lot better. Keep us updated and remember...........pics.
2002 Yamaha R6-----2003 Yamaha R6

mrfreeze5
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by mrfreeze5 »

95FZR600 wrote:Freeze, the yzf tank looks a whole lot better. Keep us updated and remember...........pics.

You have seen my threads right? Dont worry about the pics... :thumbsup:
chefen2006
Level 3.5
Level 3.5

Post by chefen2006 »

Locking very good. Whats the plan about the exhaust??? Lovely bike.
China_Racer_1
Level 5.0
Level 5.0

Post by China_Racer_1 »

Dude,

I think I got the front head light set up for ya. Let me get a pic of to ya.....

Ok I went to the frigid garage and pulled these off the shelf. they are dusty

http://img71.imageshack.us/img71/4048/p1030403hf7.jpg

I have had them here for about a year. Lights were on my street fighter and I was going to put on knuckle protectors but never got a chance.

Interested? I can send them along with the spares you asked about.
megaloxana
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by megaloxana »

Very tasteful bike freeze. With or without fairings.
'92 FZR 600
Airtech R1 kit \*/ 520 conversion \*/ 14F-47R gearing
K&N pod filters \*/ Stage 3 jet kit \*/ Factory Pro shift kit \*/ Full V&H SS exhaust
Custom '02 R6 undertail \*/ YZF gas tank \*/ Raised via dogbones \*/ custom flush turnsignals
Full R6 brake set-up \*/ SS lines \*/ Progressive fork springs \*/ ZX2 coilpack

ADD YOURSELF TO THE OFFICIAL FZRONLINE GOOGLE EARTH MAP :bunny :banjoman
Fizzinatorr
Level 6.5
Level 6.5

Post by Fizzinatorr »

Hey Wilson I can ship out the shock tomorrow make sure you send me a reminder pm

I get forgetful over break :X
8 Bikes so far...more coming too...Image

Finished my 2000 GSXR 750 -> Link here viewtopic.php?f=68&t=3617
mrfreeze5
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by mrfreeze5 »

China_Racer_1 wrote:Dude,

I think I got the front head light set up for ya. Let me get a pic of to ya.....

Ok I went to the frigid garage and pulled these off the shelf. they are dusty

http://img71.imageshack.us/img71/4048/p1030403hf7.jpg

I have had them here for about a year. Lights were on my street fighter and I was going to put on knuckle protectors but never got a chance.

Interested? I can send them along with the spares you asked about.

Thanks Steve, But im trying to stay away from that kind of setup. Theyre just far too common and look too alien/insectish. Ive pretty much decided on the headlights I want thanks to another board member. When I first got my bike 2.5 years ago and got started on this site I saw FZRaudan's(sp?) custom fzr dual headlight upper that looked like angry eyes and I really wanted something like that. For the last year Ive been looking for the right headlight setup that didnt run over $600 and I finally found one recently that achieves exactly what i want. Its a small fairing that fits over a standard dual light setup. Gonna paint it black. Imagine that in youre rearview :D

As for the exhaust, thanks to Steve being a badass and helping a guy out I can avoid having to have a super fancy custom built and welded midpipe that Ys in two with very little room in there and looks like butt. but by making some changes to my rearset on the left side I should be able to run mirror image midpipes around either side of the swingarm. i also have a handy dandy 4-2-1 D&D header that will lose the 2-1 collector and bereplaced with a custom X-pipe for a balanced exhaust.

Im goign to have to have one of these custom made since I cant find any small enough to fit my pipes now.

Then I just need two mandrel bent midpipes and some slight modifications to the pipes sticking out of the can. Its gotta go. Im also going to wrap the whole thing in black wrap. If you look at my avatar, its a MS paint modded drawing playing with some ideas for the bike, but you can see the midpipe drawn in. Imagine one on both sides, but black. And without fairings in the way.

zero9243
Level 8.5
Level 8.5

Post by zero9243 »

Very ambitious man. I was very skeptical because with the FZR it pretty much forces you to go outside the swingarm and then back in unlike most bikes with undertail exhausts. It looks good from the side but if it adds too much width to the bike where it sticks out past the fairings it might look funny.

Love the idea though and love that it looks like you're going to follow through with it. You will be one of the few.
Upgrades:
  • Barnett Clutch------------------------------------------R6 Blue Dots, Front Master Brake Cylinder+Reservoir
    WP Adjustable Rear Shock----------------------------Vortex 520 Conversion with RK GB520GXW Chain
    V&H Header (4-1)--------------------------------------Swingarm Spool Mounts
    Cobra F1r Exhaust Can--------------------------------R6 Voltage Regulator
    Flo-Commander with Remote-------------------------Custom Airtech Passenger Seat
    Stage 7 Jet kit with Diffuser Caps--------------------Factory Pro Nickel Emulsion Tubes
    Wiseco 630 Kit------------------------------------------Custom Frame Slider Mounts
    Modking Hydraulic Clutch Kit--------------------------Hella Projection Headlight with Xentec HID Kit (H9 Bulb)
    Modking Aluminum Radiator Overflow Bottle--------

mrfreeze5
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by mrfreeze5 »

An undertail exhaust is easy. but figuring out the DUAL undertail is where it got tricky. I was lucky enough to start with the D&D header though. It came on the bike when I got it. There will be some tricky bends to get it just right, but I know a great shop that can do it. the tricky part will be that Xpipe. I could conceiveably run without it, and may do so at first if its too expensive and just make my pipes a little longer. Whe I get the crossover made, just cut them back a bit. I also prefer a "balanced" bike. ie, its as much the same as possible on both sides. This will allow me to do that. One thing that should help is the R1 tail is nice and fat and should help balance it a bit.

Here's a real example of a pipe like that, but on a YZf with a single undertail. I fiound thing pic a long time ago and it gave me the idea. Especially sicne Im runnign a YZF swingarm, the pipes should eb VERY similar to this setup. Plus, having flipped my R6 shock around, and cutting back the pipes on the cans, added to the R1 subframe, I have gobs of room under there for individual pipes, but it would have looked wierd with a giant y under there and the bends would be too tight in a few spaces and would be restrictive. plus keep in mind, this wont be a 2" midpipe per side like on that YZF. Its the same diameter from the header, which is about 1.5" or so. I dont remember off the top of my head at the moment, so that will help with space and size issues too

95FZR600
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by 95FZR600 »

Dual undertail exhaust will rock. I wanted to do the single undertail but for now Im just keeping what I have until I can decide. Im getting things together for the front forks anyhow.

The dual set up with a pipe on both sides does not look bad at all. Have you thought about maybe getting the heat shield from the zx6 and making that fit on the side pipes or making one? It really hides it.
2002 Yamaha R6-----2003 Yamaha R6