FZR600 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

yamaboy
Level 1.5
Level 1.5

Temperature

Post by yamaboy »

Hey my fzr buddies..

I've been riding my bike for the past week and it seems like the needle on the temperature gauge barely gets over the cold mark. Ridint temp. was around 45F.
If i ran it in a parking lot for a while at slow speed , eventually it will get up higher , and the fan kicks in.
So , i'm just wondering if it's normal , just the fzr gauges are not accurate , or is there something wrong?? T-stat ...lean/rich issues?

Thanks for any ideas RRBike
1995 ,FZR 600,Factory Pro 1.1Ti Jet Kit, Yoshi slipon,K&N filter,elevation 4200 ft above sea level.
Carb settings: Main Jet 110, Starter Jet 52.5,Needle @ 3rd position,23m Floats,about 3 turns IM Screws.

80's-90's,Rap..music.?? http://www.last.fm/listen/user/unsmenar/personal
PAFizzer600

Re: Temperature

Post by PAFizzer600 »

normal, it's cold as shit outside
M in KC
Level 2.0
Level 2.0

Post by M in KC »

and if you're rolling w/o fairings it will run cooler (temp wise) as well.
yamaboy
Level 1.5
Level 1.5

Post by yamaboy »

Thanks guys.
Hey PAFIZZER600 , what do you think the normal operating temp. is based on your electronic gauge? about 200F?
1995 ,FZR 600,Factory Pro 1.1Ti Jet Kit, Yoshi slipon,K&N filter,elevation 4200 ft above sea level.
Carb settings: Main Jet 110, Starter Jet 52.5,Needle @ 3rd position,23m Floats,about 3 turns IM Screws.

PAFizzer600

Post by PAFizzer600 »

160-180 is normal operating temp when it's this cold. Otherwise, the thermostat starts opening up at 172 or 173(the manual says, I can also see it when it does because the temp will shift back down to 160 or lower as the cooler liquid rushes in. The thermostat is at full blast around 208-210 or something, I forget what it says. So basically while cruising you should be between 160 and 185 ish at varying speeds. That's what my normal is, anyway. If I stop or go slow I could hit 200 or so, it doesn't take long, but then you start moving again.

Ohhh yeah, in the summer the fan definetly comes on.
Last edited by PAFizzer600 on Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PIMPMYFZR
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by PIMPMYFZR »

in the summer if i do alot of traffic light driving and its hot as hell my shit will start overheating
2002 R1 9k miles , Hotbodies undertail , Chopped Hindle Hi Mount , Solo Seat cowl,Frame sliders, little yellow yamaha wheel stickers .hehe
94' 600RR SOLD**
hid xenon
airtek solo tail
time for a 1000
R.I.P DaD 2/17/09 Your in my <3 always
shredex
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by shredex »

my bike will get to 220 sitting in the sun at a red light.
yamaboy
Level 1.5
Level 1.5

Post by yamaboy »

Thanks guys , that helps a lot. Gotta get me one of those Vapor gauges.. :cheers:

NHFZR600
Level 2.5
Level 2.5

Post by NHFZR600 »

PIMPMYFZR wrote:in the summer if i do alot of traffic light driving and its hot as hell my shit will start overheating
if you are any good with electrical stuff you should put a little switch in parallel with the sensor that turns on your cooling fan. that way if you start overheating and your fan is kicking on way late (like mine only mine never came on) you can just flip the switch whenever you want to cool the bike down.
Leftover 07 Silver Ninja ZX6-R

**SOLD**
1990 FZR 600 Satin Black / Metallic Black Frame / Metallic Copper wheels
- Mods -V&H PIPE & HEADERS - 1999 R6 TAIL - 2001 UNDERTAIL - INTEGRATED LED TAIL LIGHTS - 2000 YZF TANK - 1995 YZF FRONT SUSPENSION AND GUAGES - MICHELIN PILOT POWER 120/60 ZR 17 - 1995 YZF REAR SWING ARM AND WHEEL W/HUGGER - METZLER ROADTEC Z6 170/60 ZR 17 - Xentec 8000K HID HEADLIGHTS - WHITE LED LIGHTING KIT

match417
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by match417 »

yamaboy wrote:Hey my fzr buddies..

I've been riding my bike for the past week and it seems like the needle on the temperature gauge barely gets over the cold mark. Ridint temp. was around 45F.
If i ran it in a parking lot for a while at slow speed , eventually it will get up higher , and the fan kicks in.
So , i'm just wondering if it's normal , just the fzr gauges are not accurate , or is there something wrong?? T-stat ...lean/rich issues?

sounds like you are having the same problem i had. fix it while you can otherwise it'll cost you more. My bike was running cool like yours since I had it, then it just started overheating very fast, and screwed up my rad cap. It turns out that my thermostat was locked open, then somewhere along the line it decided to lock shut. The overheating expanded the rubber in the rad cap to where I could hardly pull it out. I looked it up and found that the rad cap is $40 online, and so is the thermostat, the cheapest I saw was $25 I think. And that was still too expensive for a thermostat. So I went to napa and got a generic rad cap ($10) with a napa brand 115 (part number 115, not temperature, it's a regular 180 degree thermo) thermostat ($6). The thermostat fits and works fine, even though the spring assy in the middle of it isn't offset like the stock FZR one, i just had to drill a small hole in it for the bypass (which is why the spring assy is shifted over in the stock FZR thermostat, it makes room for the bypass hole) $16 and next day installation vs $80 plus shipping $$ and waiting. If you don't have a napa, just go to the auto parts store with the thermo and rad cap and have them match up your stuff.

check out my car and bike projects on http://youtube.com/match417
yamaboy
Level 1.5
Level 1.5

Post by yamaboy »

match417 wrote:
yamaboy wrote:Hey my fzr buddies..

sounds like you are having the same problem i had. fix it while you can otherwise it'll cost you more. My bike was running cool like yours since I had it, then it just started overheating very fast, and screwed up my rad cap. It turns out that my thermostat was locked open, then somewhere along the line it decided to lock shut. The overheating expanded the rubber in the rad cap to where I could hardly pull it out. I looked it up and found that the rad cap is $40 online, and so is the thermostat, the cheapest I saw was $25 I think. And that was still too expensive for a thermostat. So I went to napa and got a generic rad cap ($10) with a napa brand 115 (part number 115, not temperature, it's a regular 180 degree thermo) thermostat ($6). The thermostat fits and works fine, even though the spring assy in the middle of it isn't offset like the stock FZR one, i just had to drill a small hole in it for the bypass (which is why the spring assy is shifted over in the stock FZR thermostat, it makes room for the bypass hole) $16 and next day installation vs $80 plus shipping $$ and waiting. If you don't have a napa, just go to the auto parts store with the thermo and rad cap and have them match up your stuff.

Thanks for the headsup.. I doubt the t-stat was changed in a while..
This might sound funny , but where is it located?
Thanks

PAFizzer600

Post by PAFizzer600 »

take off the air box, it's inside the aluminum "pipe" looking thing under the radiator cap and directly in front of the carbs.
match417
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by match417 »

PAFizzer600 wrote:take off the air box, it's inside the aluminum "pipe" looking thing under the radiator cap and directly in front of the carbs.
yeah, just be careful with it..if it hasn't been changed in a while then the bolts are hard to get out..and the thermostat housing doesn't bolt in to anything metal, hoses support it. i twisted and almost ripped my hoses trying to get it off. You might want to just want to just take the housing out completely. Oh, and scrape the ground wire contact surfaces clean while you are there(if they are dirty), it helps the connection, the wire is under one of the screws that holds on the thermostat cap.
BASS-TREBLE
Site Newbie

Post by BASS-TREBLE »

Sorry to bump up an old thread.

At what temp does the fan kick in?
I bought the bike with a manual switch and am not sure when to turn it on.
It's a FZR 1000 but I assume it's the same
match417
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by match417 »

I'm not sure exactly what temp it kicks in at, my sensor went out and I just put another one in, haven't tested it out yet. It should kick on when the gauge hits about halfway or a little over half way, most cars are like that.