1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Re: bike modding...

Post by PIMPMYFZR »

mszilves wrote:
match417 wrote: Image
Anyone know what tank that is?
would probably say like07- 08 R6 maybe even 06
2002 R1 9k miles , Hotbodies undertail , Chopped Hindle Hi Mount , Solo Seat cowl,Frame sliders, little yellow yamaha wheel stickers .hehe
94' 600RR SOLD**
hid xenon
airtek solo tail
time for a 1000
R.I.P DaD 2/17/09 Your in my <3 always
match417
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by match417 »

PIMPMYFZR wrote:would probably say like07- 08 R6 maybe even 06
nope..not it..tank is less curved from front to back, has more angles than curves
check out my car and bike projects on http://youtube.com/match417
shredex
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by shredex »

PIMPMYFZR wrote:
mszilves wrote:
match417 wrote: Image
Anyone know what tank that is?
would probably say like07- 08 R6 maybe even 06
I believe its an r1 tank, maybe
match417
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by match417 »

ok guys, i'm so excited, i actually don't have to buy that $200 04 yzf600 tank to finish my conversion. I realized I can use this 2000 r6 tank that i got from a crashed bike. It's pretty much just been in the trunk of my car sitting there for at least a year. I just need a gas cap for it, then I can get her back on the road. I'm going to fiberglass over the rear sides of the tank so it will match the frame, and the tank needs to be supported because it doesn't sit above the frame in the back, matches perfectly in the front though, i just have to figure out how to support it, this should be the fun part.I'll update you guys on the conversion. Oh, and I apologize for the nighttime pictures, I couldn't wait until tomorrow to take pics and post them. HERE'S PICS SO FAR!!!

match417
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by match417 »

i don't know if I have followers like I did on my car project...but just in case I do..here's an update...

I'll be welding the subframe any day now so it will accept the R6 tail..i just have to get the welder from my friend..and I found an old bed frame beside the road today..muahahaha..i'm using the metal from it on my bike(free metal!!)..I've been thinking about jokingly nicknaming it "The Sleeper"..i know, it's lame..but it's good for a cheesy laugh. Now all i need is time...ugh..mainly daylight time since i get back to my house usually right at dark. A garage would be really handy right now. Unless I bring the bike to work and just work on it during downtime.

As far as the airbox goes, i'm probably getting some PVC elbows so I can lay my individual air filters down inside the airbox, then shave off the top of the airbox so the R6 tank will still fit right, fiberglass over the top, dremel out larger holes in the frame and run some radiator hose through the frame to the airbox, seal it off, and suck in cool air!

also, my gas cap will open with anything now..i spent last night taking apart this screwdrivered r6 gas cap i got from a guy locally, pulling the cylinder out, and trying to put my FZR cylinder in it..everything almost worked..but the stubs on the bottom of the cylinder were shifted slightly..so it didn't work..anyone have a spare r6 cap lying around? 99 - 02? Mine works right now, i just took out the broken tumblers so it spins smoothly..but i'd feel safer with a key.
shredex
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by shredex »

"The Sleeper"?
sounds kinda morbid lol
PIMPMYFZR
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by PIMPMYFZR »

shredex wrote:"The Sleeper"?
sounds kinda morbid lol

i could understand if your pulling 8 second quarter miles to name it that but maybe sleeping beauty would be a better name for it ,.lol
2002 R1 9k miles , Hotbodies undertail , Chopped Hindle Hi Mount , Solo Seat cowl,Frame sliders, little yellow yamaha wheel stickers .hehe
94' 600RR SOLD**
hid xenon
airtek solo tail
time for a 1000
R.I.P DaD 2/17/09 Your in my <3 always
95FZR600
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by 95FZR600 »

[quote="shredex"][quote="PIMPMYFZR"][quote="mszilves"][quote="match417"]

Thats an R1 tank. I think?
2002 Yamaha R6-----2003 Yamaha R6

match417
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by match417 »

95FZR600 wrote: Image

nope, i have no idea what that is..i looked at every r1 year made in google images..the closest yamaha tank with that design is the FJR..but the FJR tank has too many curves..so i don't know. my best guess is that he rounded the stock FZR tank cover with fiberglass or just made a new one from fiberglass. if you compare side by side pics of that tank and the FZR, you'll see that they are the same basic shape, but his is more rounded, and he didn't use the R1 front seat, which would be really easy if you put the r1 tail and tank on..that makes me think that he probably cut the FZR seat down (notice how the front of the seat starts to lip up a little), the gas cap looks like it's in the same place as the FZR's cap, the r1's cap is more forward, the dimples are still in the front of the tank, just not as deep..if the guy did what I think he did..i give him MAJOR props..because he did a good job. Chicken wire, fiberglass, and bondo. unless he does fiberglass for a living, then i'm sure he has the equipment to not do a backyard job

Oh, and I also looked at nearly every other sport bike from the late 90's to early 00's and none of them have a tank like that.
match417
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by match417 »

Hey FasterThanUR...

Do you have some pics of your subframe with the welds?..right now with the way mine is lined up, prior to welding, the keyhole in the fairing lines up with where the seat lock was on the FZR, so hopefully I can make a working seat lock
match417
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by match417 »

started putting the tail and tank on last night..and I have to say, I advise against others putting the R6 tank on the FZR..i had to cut off my radiator cap housing from the frame and relocate it lower than what it was, that was the only real issue, it was in the way of making a bracket to hold the front of the tank, but it was really simple mounting the stock R6 bracket once the rad cap was lowered. The R6 tank is a half gallon smaller than the YZF600's tank, but I like the look of it better..it looks smaller, i'm kinda glad I went with it, even though it's a little bit more difficult to put on. I'm gonna fix the sides of it where it looks more sleek and matches the curve of the frame.
sweekster
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by sweekster »

Pics my friend...pics.
Duane...
Bike:
1994 Yamaha FZR 1000 EXUP
Factory Pro Stage 1 Jetting | K&N Filter | Corbin Seat | ProTek Keyless Gas Cap | GSXR Mirrors
My Thread
Cage:
2005 Saab 9-7x 5.3i Arc AWD

THE WIKI IS YOUR FRIEND
THE SEARCH IS YOUR SIGNIFICANT OTHER
USE THEM!!
Genesis
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by Genesis »

:worthlesswithoutpics:
1990 Yamaha FZR600 Genesis, Daily Driver
My FZR6 Rebuild

1985 GMC 4x4 T-15 X-Cab Sierra
1999 Chevy 4x4 Blazer (wifes car)

"If a man can build it, I can take it apart and sometimes even put it back together and fix it" --Unknown

"'I wish none of this had happened.' 'So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.....'" J.R.R. Tolkien
95FZR600
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by 95FZR600 »

match417 wrote:
95FZR600 wrote: Image

nope, i have no idea what that is..i looked at every r1 year made in google images..the closest yamaha tank with that design is the FJR..but the FJR tank has too many curves..so i don't know. my best guess is that he rounded the stock FZR tank cover with fiberglass or just made a new one from fiberglass. if you compare side by side pics of that tank and the FZR, you'll see that they are the same basic shape, but his is more rounded, and he didn't use the R1 front seat, which would be really easy if you put the r1 tail and tank on..that makes me think that he probably cut the FZR seat down (notice how the front of the seat starts to lip up a little), the gas cap looks like it's in the same place as the FZR's cap, the r1's cap is more forward, the dimples are still in the front of the tank, just not as deep..if the guy did what I think he did..i give him MAJOR props..because he did a good job. Chicken wire, fiberglass, and bondo. unless he does fiberglass for a living, then i'm sure he has the equipment to not do a backyard job

Oh, and I also looked at nearly every other sport bike from the late 90's to early 00's and none of them have a tank like that.

Well, its not an 07-08 R6 either. I saw that pic a couple years ago online. If I remember, it was a link from Heath's web site.
2002 Yamaha R6-----2003 Yamaha R6

shredex
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by shredex »

match417 wrote:started putting the tail and tank on last night..and I have to say, I advise against others putting the R6 tank on the FZR..i had to cut off my radiator cap housing from the frame and relocate it lower than what it was, that was the only real issue, it was in the way of making a bracket to hold the front of the tank, but it was really simple mounting the stock R6 bracket once the rad cap was lowered. The R6 tank is a half gallon smaller than the YZF600's tank, but I like the look of it better..it looks smaller, i'm kinda glad I went with it, even though it's a little bit more difficult to put on. I'm gonna fix the sides of it where it looks more sleek and matches the curve of the frame.

you shoulf have relocated the cap to the top side of the radiator like ThatKid did.