tails that work???

FZR600 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

erawtik
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

tails that work???

Post by erawtik »

Of course the popular is the r6 but after looking at all the parts needed it adds up fast. Now i seen someone had a cbr tail and used fzr seats so only cost was tail and light. Any others work where all you need is the tail and light? Bending, shaping, welding, and drilling does not scare me.
shredex
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Re: tails that work???

Post by shredex »

erawtik wrote:Of course the popular is the r6 but after looking at all the parts needed it adds up fast. Now i seen someone had a cbr tail and used fzr seats so only cost was tail and light. Any others work where all you need is the tail and light? Bending, shaping, welding, and drilling does not scare me.
my airtech tail only requires some cutting. but the :swear thing will set you back a good $200. and I cut a big hole in mine :yikes:
the_finch
Level 8.5
Level 8.5

Post by the_finch »

If you're looking at solo seats, I've heard of people using the later TZ250 tails for a race look or race bikes. They could probably be modified to accept the passenger seat as well. If you need reference photos, go here:
http://www.airtech-streamlining.com/yamaz/prodyam.htm
To be honest, I wouldn't recommend using them for bodywork. When I ordered a stock replacement front fender from them, I realized that I could have gotten better quality getting a used stock one on eBay or ordering a new one from MaierUSA for less money. And when I paint my bike, I probably will replace the front fender.
So look at the pictures, then check eBay or check with someone like SharkSkinz or one of those other race bodywork companies to order. Make sure to get a picture before you buy, so you know exactly what you're buying. Anyway, there's my my2cents
1997 FZR600RJ

Engine: K&N Drop-in air filter - stock airbox - FP 5°ignition advancer - EBC "Street Racer" Kevlar clutch
Exhaust: Stock header - Yoshimura RS-3 Carbon fiber slip-on
Body: Original paint/graphics - Clear Alternatives integrated LED Taillight - Flanders' flush front signals - YZF600 Mirrors - Comp. Werkes Stainless fender eliminator/tag bracket - 60w/55w H4 headlights
Tires: Metzler MEZ4B 120/70 ZR17 Front - Michelin Madacam 100x 150/70 ZR18 Rear
Brakes:Stock rotors with EBC HH Sinstered pads
In the works: YZF600 header, '97 Bandit 600 rear wheel, DynoJet Stage 3, Racetech Springs and Emulators fork rebuild, FZ1 rear shock, YZF600 front MC, Galfer SS Lines, CFM rearsets
erawtik
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by erawtik »

i thought i read that the air tech stuff was thin fiberglass? iv looked at them and would consider as long as they are not junk cause they are pretty much direct bolt on.
shredex
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by shredex »

erawtik wrote:i thought i read that the air tech stuff was thin fiberglass? iv looked at them and would consider as long as they are not junk cause they are pretty much direct bolt on.
the airtech stuff is pretty damn thin and you will get cracks in the paint if you dont reinforce it with another layer or two of fiberglass.

and you can fine without it though.
the_finch
Level 8.5
Level 8.5

Post by the_finch »

erawtik wrote:i thought i read that the air tech stuff was thin fiberglass? iv looked at them and would consider as long as they are not junk cause they are pretty much direct bolt on.
It is pretty thin fiberglass. My stock-type front fender cracked on the 3rd or 4th day I had it. They just seem to have the best picture gallery of all of their parts available, so what I was saying is look at their TZ race tails and buy one from someone else if you like the look. Other than that, ther was one guy who was gonna use a ZX-6 tail on his fighter, but he had the whole subframe to go with it, too.
1997 FZR600RJ

Engine: K&N Drop-in air filter - stock airbox - FP 5°ignition advancer - EBC "Street Racer" Kevlar clutch
Body: Original paint/graphics - Clear Alternatives integrated LED Taillight - Flanders' flush front signals - YZF600 Mirrors - Comp. Werkes Stainless fender eliminator/tag bracket - 60w/55w H4 headlights
In the works: YZF600 header, '97 Bandit 600 rear wheel, DynoJet Stage 3, Racetech Springs and Emulators fork rebuild, FZ1 rear shock, YZF600 front MC, Galfer SS Lines, CFM rearsets
PAFizzer600

Post by PAFizzer600 »

Maier is great
the_finch
Level 8.5
Level 8.5

Post by the_finch »

PAFizzer600 wrote:Maier is great
Agreed
1997 FZR600RJ

erawtik
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by erawtik »

the stuff i seen at maier website was just stock i dont want stock rear they are ugly.