stop light doesnt sense my fzr

FZR600 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

match417
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Re: stop light doesnt sense my fzr

Post by match417 »

crap man..i get so mad when this happens. I'm pulling up to a stop light, and the idiot in front of me (in a car) pulls up past the magnetic sensor and sits on the freakin crosswalk. So the light starts to turn yellow, then red for the other direction because it sensed the car. But i guess the light thought the car turned right, so my stop light never turned green, and i'm stuck behind the guy until someone else comes up behind me or on the other side of the road. Normally I just treat these lights as stop signs and look for cops.

What I have noticed though, there is a certain light that I have to cross daily(one mentioned above), it has 4 sensors plates leading up to it. As I cross the sensor plates while I'm riding,the light starts to turn red for the other direction, but never turns green for me, sometimes I just run it at this point. So, it senses something. Maybe it senses my lights flickering while the bike is slightly bouncing on the road from bumps and whatnot. Or maybe it senses the higher revs creating more energy at the stator and it triggers the magnet in the road. I don't know...

I'm going to try flicking my lights hi-lo-hi-lo and see if it works, there is a little camera looking thing on top of the light aimed back at the road, maybe it senses the light flicker, because I don't think the city would pay for 4 cameras on a little back street like the one i'm talking about, this might be what the camera-looking things do..
check out my car and bike projects on http://youtube.com/match417
reelrazor
Wrench
Wrench

Post by reelrazor »

match417 wrote:
I'm going to try flicking my lights hi-lo-hi-lo and see if it works, there is a little camera looking thing on top of the light aimed back at the road, maybe it senses the light flicker, because I don't think the city would pay for 4 cameras on a little back street like the one i'm talking about, this might be what the camera-looking things do..
That's what I am talking about. Look a bit like a rifle scope? Strobe sensorand you can catch them with yor headlights. Some municipalities have low wattage radar units on lights-my RD squeals on 'em-but they are used as traffic sensors too.
http://www.michiganmobileservice.com/

“A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.”-Douglas Adams

http://www.youtube.com/user/reelrazor
90ca18det
Site Newbie

Post by 90ca18det »

Here in South Carolina they just passed the law for us to go through a red but only after 120 seconds of sitting there.The funny part is that two days before they passed the law the SCDOT was at every stoplight resetting the sensors.The light at the entrance of my neighborhood used to be about a 5 to 7 minute light on a bike and now I have never sat any longer than 45 seconds.
surgscrubfzr
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by surgscrubfzr »

i have the same problem on my bike and sometimes in my truck, at certain lights. sometimes i use the light flicker method if no else is around and sometimes i will rev my engine when over the sensor. if all else failes then i start counting after i have been skipped once look allround me for cops and the treat it like a stop sign. i have been thinking of installing a superstrong magnet on the lowest part of my bike but i havent done it yet. i think that those greenlight thingys that are sold are just super strong magnets.
ImageImage
shredex
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by shredex »

it might also be because my bike is sitting so high.
I tried the Hi-lo-hi-lo thing just about 5 minutes ago and it didnt seem to do anything.
megaloxana
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by megaloxana »

I suppose we can carry around pocket fulls of fridge magnets and toss them down as we get caught at lights.... Its not like you don't have enough fridge magnets anway.
'92 FZR 600
Airtech R1 kit \*/ 520 conversion \*/ 14F-47R gearing
K&N pod filters \*/ Stage 3 jet kit \*/ Factory Pro shift kit \*/ Full V&H SS exhaust
Custom '02 R6 undertail \*/ YZF gas tank \*/ Raised via dogbones \*/ custom flush turnsignals
Full R6 brake set-up \*/ SS lines \*/ Progressive fork springs \*/ ZX2 coilpack

ADD YOURSELF TO THE OFFICIAL FZRONLINE GOOGLE EARTH MAP :bunny :banjoman
match417
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by match417 »

surgscrubfzr wrote:i have the same problem on my bike and sometimes in my truck, at certain lights. sometimes i use the light flicker method if no else is around and sometimes i will rev my engine when over the sensor. if all else failes then i start counting after i have been skipped once look allround me for cops and the treat it like a stop sign.
i get so impatient at the lights..the one down the street that i cross everyday turns green right when a car drives over it, unless it has just turned red, in which case it waits like 15 seconds and then turns green, because it's a small road crossing a larger road and doesn't get much traffic. It never turns green for me on the bike, so all i do is stop, look both ways and go, waiting 120 secs (why not 2 minutes???) would kill me. So when someone is stupid and stops on the crosswalk in front of the sensor like i mentioned above, i wanna just lay on the horn or get off the bike and pull them out through the window..lol..ok, not really, people just don't think sometimes. It always seems to be the 70+ drivers that stop on the crosswalks, and they should be driving anyway..they scare me
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

match417 wrote: It always seems to be the 70+ drivers that stop on the crosswalks, and they should not be driving anyway..they scare me
GRRRRR, back off sonny we paid for the roads you abuse, get a nice strong magnet at the bottom of yer bike & borrow your dad's torch for the light activated stop lights , then you can zoom away like us old coggers on our FZR600

:whistle

jk
match417
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by match417 »

even though you were kidding, i probably shouldn't have typed that...
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

match417 wrote:even though you were kidding, i probably shouldn't have typed that...
Match,
The one thing I am well known for is my dry sense of humour, I have the same problem with the old duffers out for a sunday drive at 5 mile under the speed limit no matter where. I will not be driving when i am 70 because my licence will no longer be valid here in the UK.
mike94fzr600
Level 4.5
Level 4.5

Post by mike94fzr600 »

yamaha_george wrote:
match417 wrote:even though you were kidding, i probably shouldn't have typed that...
Match,
The one thing I am well known for is my dry sense of humour, I have the same problem with the old duffers out for a sunday drive at 5 mile under the speed limit no matter where. I will not be driving when i am 70 because my licence will no longer be valid here in the UK.
why is that ? they have a cut off age to drive?
my rides
2000 chevy z71 4x4
1993 Suzuki Samurai my mud \ trail toy
1994 fzr 600
match417
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by match417 »

a common elderly problem is confusing the gas and brake when they get scared...so many times on the news i've seen them saying something like they "kept pressing the brake but it wouldn't stop". and my friends neighbor that parks under my friends house crashed into his steps one day trying to back up slowly, it was a very loud bang..and he never backs up fast to the steps..i assume he saw he was getting close and pressed the "brake" and the car sped up. that's why they scare me...that and they don't pay enough attention, or their eyesight is going..one of the two. i stopped at this 3-way stop sign once, saw a lady coming up to the stop sign, but i decided to wait because she seemed like she was moving too fast..sure enough..she ran the stop sign, didn't look at me, didn't look at the sign..didn't slow down. if i had gone she would have hit me.
ian
Level 2.5
Level 2.5

Post by ian »

this light flicker thing, how can you tell if the light has strobe sensors?
Thanks, for a country where nobody is allowed to mind his own business. Thanks, for a nation of finks.
- William Burroughs
haha this is awesome... probably the only addiction support group i have seen that supports the addiction!

Last words are for fools who haven't said enough.
- Karl Marx
Genesis
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by Genesis »

ian wrote:this light flicker thing, how can you tell if the light has strobe sensors?
it doesn't necessarily work like that..... Every vehicle has a magnetic field it creates, the black lines of tar have a wore loop buried under them that also has a magnetic field when one magnetic field crosses another it sets off the sensor, sometimes our bikes don't have a big enough magnetic field because the sensor are not set sensitive enough, so if you flick your lights it increases or rather changes your magnetic field, to trigger the sensor, another thing you can do is set you kick stand down that will also change you magnetic field.
1990 Yamaha FZR600 Genesis, Daily Driver
My FZR6 Rebuild

1985 GMC 4x4 T-15 X-Cab Sierra
1999 Chevy 4x4 Blazer (wifes car)

"If a man can build it, I can take it apart and sometimes even put it back together and fix it" --Unknown

"'I wish none of this had happened.' 'So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.....'" J.R.R. Tolkien
the_finch
Level 8.5
Level 8.5

Post by the_finch »

yamaha_george wrote:hi,
If it is the road wire type they need a magnetic trigger a strip of steel inside the bottom of your fairing that has been magetised else one of those "super magnets" glued to the lowest point of the bike.
Agreed
Another cheap source for a strong magnet is any old speaker. Almost all modern speakers have to have some form of constant magnet to them to function. So if your friends have a blown out speaker they're replacing, ask if you can have it, rip the magnets off the back, and glue/velcro/zip tie it to the inside of your lower fairing and that should do the trick. Cost= $0.00. :thumbsup:
1997 FZR600RJ

Engine: K&N Drop-in air filter - stock airbox - FP 5°ignition advancer - EBC "Street Racer" Kevlar clutch
Exhaust: Stock header - Yoshimura RS-3 Carbon fiber slip-on
Body: Original paint/graphics - Clear Alternatives integrated LED Taillight - Flanders' flush front signals - YZF600 Mirrors - Comp. Werkes Stainless fender eliminator/tag bracket - 60w/55w H4 headlights
Tires: Metzler MEZ4B 120/70 ZR17 Front - Michelin Madacam 100x 150/70 ZR18 Rear
Brakes:Stock rotors with EBC HH Sinstered pads
In the works: YZF600 header, '97 Bandit 600 rear wheel, DynoJet Stage 3, Racetech Springs and Emulators fork rebuild, FZ1 rear shock, YZF600 front MC, Galfer SS Lines, CFM rearsets