Project 44 - 400/YZF Hybrid SHE STARTED TODAY!!!!!!

Got a Yamazuki or a Yamonda? This section is for those who are a little more creative...

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

v8killaz
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Re: Project 44 - China_racer_1's 400/YZF Hybrid

Post by v8killaz »

nice job
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

China_Racer_1 wrote:George, that F-3 caliper is not originally an under slung type it was a top mount from what I can see.

And it is going on an F3 wheel with an F3 disc so I have no way to tell if it will fit a FZR-400 / 600 disc. I have the back wheel al being done one off by my machinist and will post how he went about it if that’s any help.

I am quite sure I need to weld a bar to the swing arm to make it stay in place.
Steve ,
If you are underslinging the caliper then the F3 caliper will a PITA to bleed, I ended up using a KAWA rear from their 600 (if my memory is correct)
The caliper stay rod (since the force is compression if over slung not torsion you can fix to the frame where the MC is / was bolted (if you still have it on the frame ?) by using rose joints to ease any mis-alignment issues
see what I am talking about :-
http://www.saltmine.org.uk/fzr/swingarm.html
China_Racer_1
Level 5.0
Level 5.0

Post by China_Racer_1 »

George,

I see what your saying. However I have the F3 caliper for the F3 wheel only due to the fact the underslung suzuki one I bought was to wide for ths particualr wheel.

So trying to get the normally over slung F3 cliper changed to an underslung might be bit of a trick.

I will know in the morning when I get there. I think I already cut off the place on the frame it woud have gone to any way.
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

China_Racer_1 wrote:George,

I see what your saying. However I have the F3 caliper for the F3 wheel only due to the fact the underslung suzuki one I bought was to wide for ths particualr wheel.

So trying to get the normally over slung F3 cliper changed to an underslung might be bit of a trick.

I will know in the morning when I get there. I think I already cut off the place on the frame it woud have gone to any way.
Steve,
overslung calipers have the air bleed nipple at the top ,if you now under sling it the bleed is away from the air pocket so you have to unbolt it put it on the disc at the top and bleed the air then re-bolt it so 2 min job is ten or so.....
China_Racer_1
Level 5.0
Level 5.0

Post by China_Racer_1 »

George, Ah I see what your saying ok got it.

Update: Monday morning (Shanghai Time)

When I got to the shop I found a pile of wires on the floor. My electrician decided to do as I asked and cut out all un-deed wires. Race only.

I picked up a few tires from the track that were take offs. So I could roll the thing around.

I got a 180 rear and it fit the 5” rim with a good profile. It also fit in side the swing arm though I will need to off set the chain a bit to clear. I think I need to do that anyway to get the F-3 wheel to work so no issue really.

The acell coils went in with a hard fight. Lots of cramming and thinking how to do. But they got in there. Not pretty but in there none the less. They are a little bigger than stock eh?

The exhaust was fit up and I made a temporary bracket to hold it out away from the swing arm. When I finish the sub frame I will make a permanent one.

The under tail will be ok. I don’t feel I need to cut it anymore than it is.
However I needed to re-do the whole sub frame after all. I though it was a minor thing but, shit, nothings ever minor on this build.

I also did a few little things. I bolted up the font fender and got the rubber grommets in it as well.

Changed out the bolts in the bottom of the carbs for hex instead of Philip head screws and fixed the issues with the front wheel, bearing and brakes. They are all working in sync now, with no interference.

The radiator has plenty of clearance I feel for hard braking. Not the way Spyder mounted his but this works for me.

I did a mock up sketch in paint of how the sub frame will end up in a few days. Right now I got work to do for the next three days so no more time to work on the bike.
But the sub frame only needs to hold the minimalist wiring I now have as well as my ass. So I cut out a lot to clear up the rear wheel well area.
Should look a bit like this. (Don't mind the bad sketching ability huh?)

I did manage to get a battery and a battery box knocked out today as well.

Before I started mucking about with the sub frame I put on the parts to see what she looked like.

Not bad - I got t be creative with the body work and color scheme I think.

Originally: (Just a reminder of what a piece of shit this thing was when bought it for 300 bucks)

Currently:
(Note: the seat is not in the right height it is just laying on the sub frame rails right now. still lots of detailing to do)
PIMPMYFZR
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by PIMPMYFZR »

that think looks like a piece of art work man ... simply amazing
2002 R1 9k miles , Hotbodies undertail , Chopped Hindle Hi Mount , Solo Seat cowl,Frame sliders, little yellow yamaha wheel stickers .hehe
94' 600RR SOLD**
hid xenon
airtek solo tail
time for a 1000
R.I.P DaD 2/17/09 Your in my <3 always
China_Racer_1
Level 5.0
Level 5.0

Post by China_Racer_1 »

PIMPMYFZR wrote:that think looks like a piece of art work man ... simply amazing
Really? well thanks man I appreciate it.
:cheers:
I think of it as a piece of art as well. Hope I don't smash it all up at the track! :duh:
manveru
Level 3.5
Level 3.5

Post by manveru »

idk if its just the tail, but the backend of that looks low, but otherwise awesome
haunter
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by haunter »

so that rear brake setup made it over there?
China_Racer_1
Level 5.0
Level 5.0

Post by China_Racer_1 »

manveru wrote:idk if its just the tail, but the backend of that looks low, but otherwise awesome
Yea its just that the so low seat is sitting on the rails like I said. This was pryor to me getting to work on the sub frame.

Yeah the F3 set up got here. I will turn that over to John later this week to finish up the back wheel, sprocket spacer alignement issues I stil have back there.

Almost looks like a race bike now. I have got to pull the TZ body work down from the shelf as well and get working on fitting that up.

I am hoping to get a lot of issue dialed in so when the YZF 600 engine does arrive I can make a fairly clean swap and not have a ton of set up issue left to do.
China_Racer_1
Level 5.0
Level 5.0

Post by China_Racer_1 »

You know, just as an after thought;

One thing I wanted to do was to assemble the bike and see where I can add soem bracing to the frame.

I was first thinking the air box area and how t omake a removabe brace to stiffen teh frame.

But then i realized teh origil fuel tank sort of did tht.

So I took a look at how we got the newfuel cell made adndhow it attaches direct to the frames inner wall. I also have a stranger mount going on the rear of tehetank which will cross from one side of the bike to the other.
So I guess by default I achievd this goal. Ithink even just looking at it you can see its pretty stought.

I need to go find a close up pics.
PIMPMYFZR
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by PIMPMYFZR »

manveru wrote:idk if its just the tail, but the backend of that looks low, but otherwise awesome
i think my backend looks low .. i wish my tail stuck up like that
2002 R1 9k miles , Hotbodies undertail , Chopped Hindle Hi Mount , Solo Seat cowl,Frame sliders, little yellow yamaha wheel stickers .hehe
94' 600RR SOLD**
hid xenon
airtek solo tail
time for a 1000
R.I.P DaD 2/17/09 Your in my <3 always
China_Racer_1
Level 5.0
Level 5.0

Post by China_Racer_1 »

PIMPMYFZR wrote:
I think my backend looks low .. i wish my tail stuck up like that
So when I get the sub frame squared away we will see where it actually ends up.

The back end of the seat I modified quite a bit from its TZR beginings, then I sent it to Spyder. His friend modded it up with the undertail and filled inteh seat area. Then Spyder shipped it back to me here where fI it it to the chasis best I could figure and had to mod the undertail a bit more myself to allow for tire room.

Finally it went off to the carbon fiber sponsor for a carbon copy.

That tail has been through a lot !!
China_Racer_1
Level 5.0
Level 5.0

Post by China_Racer_1 »

I made it back to the shop today. Got the subframe squared away and got teh body work fitted on taped a bit of it to try adn get a visual onwhat I want to do with teh paint scheme.

1st we will try to use gray on the body then cover with a ladies nylon and spray paint it black to get a some what of a carbon fiber look.

If that works I will do that and little more than sticker her up.

Right now though she looks like this.

Here is last years race pics of the 'ole girl.

Here is what she looks like now. Note the wind screen is just placed in there and not fit up prorper.

As minimal a subframe as I could get. Not to pretty yet but finished in practice. Just need to clean her up a bit.

Where are all the electronics you ask? Well ,with cutting out 250 pounds of unwanted wiring and other electronic impliments of destruction... I did not need much room.
But I needed a flat plat to sit on and support my arse as well. Solution.... Flip to seat.

Ok you can stop laughing now. But hey it works :headscratch: ....... I think
cad600
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by cad600 »

Laughing, hell no. That is a great solution. Good Job.

Are you still looking to do the bumble bee paint scheme?
Yes, that is a Single Sided Swingarm FZR600 that I built.

Something is lurking, waiting, wanting to be built......It calls to me from the darkness....

I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel....Then I realize that it is the train coming to run my ass over....