Still wont start!

FZR600 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

mrfreeze5
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Still wont start!

Post by mrfreeze5 »

I still can't get this thing to start and im running out of time for good riding. I've checked everything I can think of and Im still not getting spark.

pickup coil resistance checked good
yzf voltage reg in good shape
97 fzr wiring harness in great shape
r1 battery. cranks for days nice and strong
fuses good
N switch tested and functional
clutch switch brand new, tested and functional
carbs are rebuilt/rejetted set to recommendations with jet kit, not snyched yet though.
good compression from the engine and vacuum in the carbs
carb boots are new and crack free
new spark plugs, gaps checked for factory spec
factory pro ign advance installed
main switch tested and functional
start switch cleaned, tested and functional.
the engine ran well when the bike was torn down with the exception of the carbs being all jacked up.
I've checked my grounds and everything seems happy there too. there are no missed connections at this point im sure.
I also just bought a good used cdi as the last one was a bit sketchy before the rebuild.

here are the 2 problems I can see now.

one, the kickstand switch. it makes no difference whatsoever. for example, the N switch will switch the relay under the seat and allow it to start, same for the clutch switch and both switches, if not in the correct position will keep it from starting. the kickstand switch has good continuity and I also tried directly wiring the 2 wires together and eliminate the switch altogether. no difference. I also tried replacing the relay with the one that was on my old harness, but that kickstand switch didn't work either. the kickstand switch did work for me maybe once or twice when I first tried to start it and had the next problem.

the second problem is kinda weird. the wire connected between the starter and the battery is having a connection issue at the starter. when I tighten the nut down on the post of the starter, the bike won't crank, but instead, the positive cable will jump and start to squeel and smoke and if you hold the switch for more than 2 or 3 seconds the main starter relay pops and the wire smokes a bit. the surface on the starter is clean. but if I loosen the nut and the connecter sits at an angle on the post it cranks just fine, but if its not situated it may pop a spark which is dangerous for me at the moment since im using a temporary gas bottle so I don't have to keep moving the tank. I think what may be the culprit is the rubber isolator at the base of the stud on the starter. when the connector is flat under the nut it doesn't actually touch the stud, just the body of the starter. the nut looks good, but im going to try another one. I ended up having to replace the starter relay after that first time though. I've never seen a positive wire act like that before, a bad ground wire maybe, but not a positive wire.

so what am I missing? I've got zero spark and have tested and replaced everything I can think of. I want to fire this thing up!!
cad600
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Re: Still wont start!

Post by cad600 »

Can you bump start it? If so, the culpret should be the stator. Maybe try another starter if that doesn't seem to work. Try putting the old CDI back in to see what happens.
Yes, that is a Single Sided Swingarm FZR600 that I built.

Something is lurking, waiting, wanting to be built......It calls to me from the darkness....

I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel....Then I realize that it is the train coming to run my ass over....
sweekster
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by sweekster »

I have to agree. Sounds like your stator and/or pickup coil is giving you porky pies. The way you have adjust the nut on your starter could also be related though.
Duane...
Bike:
1994 Yamaha FZR 1000 EXUP
Factory Pro Stage 1 Jetting | K&N Filter | Corbin Seat | ProTek Keyless Gas Cap | GSXR Mirrors
My Thread
Cage:
2005 Saab 9-7x 5.3i Arc AWD

THE WIKI IS YOUR FRIEND
THE SEARCH IS YOUR SIGNIFICANT OTHER
USE THEM!!
docrider
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by docrider »

i know this may sound stupid to ask but have you checked the fuses and what about your relay? is it in good working condition?
airtech R1 solo tail, russell racer front brake lines, dynojet stage 3 jets, K & N pod filters, V & H SS2R exhaust system, 89 gsxr 750 rear wheel
mrfreeze5
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by mrfreeze5 »

All the fuses are good. And the relay is good in all functions but the kickstand switch and im not sure if thats affecting it or not since the las wirings harness I had on the bike before it was torn down didnt have a kickstand switch and it wasnt jumpered together and didnt make a difference. But considering that it worked once and now doesnt could be an indicator. But I tried my spare relay( I have 3 full wiring harness and misc other electrical to pick parts from) and it was the same result, functions in everythign else but the kickstand switch.
docrider
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by docrider »

idk then my thoughts lead to a gremlin then
airtech R1 solo tail, russell racer front brake lines, dynojet stage 3 jets, K & N pod filters, V & H SS2R exhaust system, 89 gsxr 750 rear wheel
95FZR600
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by 95FZR600 »

When something like this happens its probably a cut in the wire or something. Try checking the wires up around the steering stem. Lots of twisting and turning there. You might have to open up the harness in that area and look for a cut or splice.
2002 Yamaha R6-----2003 Yamaha R6

mrfreeze5
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by mrfreeze5 »

The harness is nearly pristine. Ive examined every connector and all the wires and its in great shape.
megaloxana
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by megaloxana »

Have you tried a different set of coils? When you're checking for spark, make sure that the other three plugs are properly grounded.
I remember testing my bike a while back to see how well the electrical system was grounded, but I don't remember how I did it. I think i read it in the haynes manual, unfortunatly I don't have one up here at college. So if anyone wants to reflect on this.

But anyway to make things clear...
your bike DOES crank over
Has no spark(main problem)

Correct?
'92 FZR 600
Airtech R1 kit \*/ 520 conversion \*/ 14F-47R gearing
K&N pod filters \*/ Stage 3 jet kit \*/ Factory Pro shift kit \*/ Full V&H SS exhaust
Custom '02 R6 undertail \*/ YZF gas tank \*/ Raised via dogbones \*/ custom flush turnsignals
Full R6 brake set-up \*/ SS lines \*/ Progressive fork springs \*/ ZX2 coilpack

ADD YOURSELF TO THE OFFICIAL FZRONLINE GOOGLE EARTH MAP :bunny :banjoman
YAM93
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by YAM93 »

faulty spark plug wires ?

IDK :tard: :headscratch:

if you can't fix it in a week we'll have to re-title this thread "The Day Superman Died"
...as... if you can't fix it... i will probably lose faith in mankind completely...
.....looks like a job for Yamaha_George or Naeslas
mrfreeze5
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by mrfreeze5 »

Yep, cranks like a champ! Ive got a 06 R1 battery in it so theres plenty of juice. It cranks strong, I can feel compression through the header and hear the suction in the carbs.

Replacing the ignition coils is the only thing I havent done since the rebuild, but I put these coils in about 4 months before I tore the bike down and they worked fine then. I have tested the primary and secondary coils and they are within the factory spec for resistance.

No spark at all. Not one little bit.

She wont die. Ill make this happen, but Im afraid I wont get much time in before the white stuff flies. i just dont have the cash to go replacing parts that ive already replaced right now. All of these parts were known good at last use for sure, so I have to have missed something, or done something wrong considering it ran strong before the teardown despite the carbs being horrible and it running rediculously rich due to missing(yes missing as in not present) starter jets). And Ive replaced or upgraded or both to every component in the electrical system except the stator itself.
mrfreeze5
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by mrfreeze5 »

and all the money i spend chasing this is less I can use to actually finish the other things I really need to get it moving and kills my motivation to work on it, but I wont give up on it. I cant.
megaloxana
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by megaloxana »

Don't give up man!!!!!

I had electrical problems for months, extremely weak spark/no spark. It ended up being a bad contact in one of the wires I spliced for the r6 VR.
'92 FZR 600
Airtech R1 kit \*/ 520 conversion \*/ 14F-47R gearing
K&N pod filters \*/ Stage 3 jet kit \*/ Factory Pro shift kit \*/ Full V&H SS exhaust
Custom '02 R6 undertail \*/ YZF gas tank \*/ Raised via dogbones \*/ custom flush turnsignals
Full R6 brake set-up \*/ SS lines \*/ Progressive fork springs \*/ ZX2 coilpack

ADD YOURSELF TO THE OFFICIAL FZRONLINE GOOGLE EARTH MAP :bunny :banjoman
mrfreeze5
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by mrfreeze5 »

My harness is already set up for the later VR and thats what Im running. And any splices that needed to be made in the harness, I took my old harness and cut the connectors off and soldered them together and then plugged it into whatever was being spliced so all the connectors are stock and uncut.
mrfreeze5
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by mrfreeze5 »

I guess this give me the justification to do the ZX2 coil swap now huh?