HOW TO: 99-02 R6 Swing Arm Mod **Added to WIKI**

Got a Yamazuki or a Yamonda? This section is for those who are a little more creative...

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

mszilves
Level 1.5
Level 1.5

Re: Almost done with R6 Swingarm Mod**NEW PICS**

Post by mszilves »

95FZR600 wrote:
abs600fzrr wrote:190 is way to big for a 5.5" rim. run a 180 like it ment, it wont turn with a shit with a 180 anyway haha so no reason to go even larger.

Im going with a 180, Im bigger and stronger than you so I know I wont have a problem turning it. :cheers:
LOL2
ImageImage

'03 Liquid Silver R6
'91 FZR 600
'97 Forks w/ .85kg/mm Race Tech springs, Gold-Valve Emulators (2 turns), 20w fork oil / Fox Twin Clicker
R6 front calipers and master cylinder, R6 tail
YZF swingarm conversion
'01 R1 Digital Cluster conversion
K&N Drop-In, Factory Pro emulsion tubes, stock 5CFZ4 needle on clip 2, 22mm floats, mixture screws temp tuned
Bridgestone BT-016s 110/170

95FZR600
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Re: Almost done with R6 Swingarm Mod**NEW PICS**

Post by 95FZR600 »

Many hours on this project but finally finished. I added a lot of pics to show you all. Funds ran me low. I still owe Rage some money for a part and cant afford to get a tire and chain right now. Looks like it will be on hold for some time middle of next week, I hope. I have a buddy of mine finding me a good used take off at his shop. If I can get that maybe borrow some money from my son. :headscratch:

I also noticed that I will need a new mid pipe for my short can. Will take it down next week when I get paid to have one fabbed up from a friend of mine at the local muffler shop.

Im pretty pleased how it turned out. Really not a lot of fab work just a lot of grinding and cutting to get the swing arm and shock mounted.

Oh, ABS..........I dont need to machine down the cush drive. It all lines up perfect!

Shock mount complete

Rear MC. Had to re-use Fzr and space it out for springs and such to work right.

Pivot Bolt Axle nut in place and tight. Remember, I used the R6 one.

Look how perfect the shock lines up in the center of the swinger

I didnt have to space the left rear sets at all. Its close but does not touch at all.

Shock mount bracket welded. I will weld the angle to the sub frame at a later time. For now I have it bolted.

Jt front 520 sprocket mounted and blue loctite. I even took MSZILVES idea and went with it on the screw.

Complete set up minus the wheel and chain.

Different angle. Complete set up.

From the rear.

From the side.
2002 Yamaha R6-----2003 Yamaha R6

Target30
Level 7.5
Level 7.5

Re: Finished with R6 Swingarm Mod**NEW PICS**

Post by Target30 »

hey, what would you charge to make that same shock mount for me? i was going to look for a guy to make one for me here, but that tis exactly what i need, so i wont need to draw it up. i am using the same shock, just a little different angle, mine mounts to the subframe in the same place. if you can make that without the mounting holes, that would be perfect!
I did that.

"(12:38:42) sweekster: i work when i want because i'm sweeks"
95FZR600
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by 95FZR600 »

Ill do it this weekend for you. I made a template for this purpose. I have the metal already but wont be able to have it welded until early next week. Is that ok?

megaloxana
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by megaloxana »

Turned out really well mark, nice job. Do you have to relocate your battery?
'92 FZR 600
Airtech R1 kit \*/ 520 conversion \*/ 14F-47R gearing
K&N pod filters \*/ Stage 3 jet kit \*/ Factory Pro shift kit \*/ Full V&H SS exhaust
Custom '02 R6 undertail \*/ YZF gas tank \*/ Raised via dogbones \*/ custom flush turnsignals
Full R6 brake set-up \*/ SS lines \*/ Progressive fork springs \*/ ZX2 coilpack

ADD YOURSELF TO THE OFFICIAL FZRONLINE GOOGLE EARTH MAP :bunny :banjoman
abs929cbrrr
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by abs929cbrrr »

that swingarm bolt is gonna hit your ankle. why didnt you use the stock fzr one and get pivot sleeves made?
95FZR600
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by 95FZR600 »

megaloxana wrote:Turned out really well mark, nice job. Do you have to relocate your battery?

No, I mounted the shock bracket on the bottom of the subframe instead of the top like crazy ivan did. Worked out better.

ABS, I spaced out my right side rear sets so it doesnt rub my ankle. I dont like the look of the axel nut but oh well. I didnt do the spacers because of the amount of funds I had for the project. Everything worked out for me except I need a damn tire and chain. banghead

cad600
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by cad600 »

Nice. How long of a chain do you need?
Yes, that is a Single Sided Swingarm FZR600 that I built.

Something is lurking, waiting, wanting to be built......It calls to me from the darkness....

I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel....Then I realize that it is the train coming to run my ass over....
Target30
Level 7.5
Level 7.5

Post by Target30 »

95FZR600 wrote:Ill do it this weekend for you. I made a template for this purpose. I have the metal already but wont be able to have it welded until early next week. Is that ok?
that would be awesome! let me know what it would cost and shipped to 03082. i have my setup on there now, but it is just bolted together, will work, but i really wanted it to be a little more better! like yours!
I did that.

"(12:38:42) sweekster: i work when i want because i'm sweeks"
Genesis
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by Genesis »

looks good mark, any plans to countersink that nut?
1990 Yamaha FZR600 Genesis, Daily Driver
My FZR6 Rebuild

1985 GMC 4x4 T-15 X-Cab Sierra
1999 Chevy 4x4 Blazer (wifes car)

"If a man can build it, I can take it apart and sometimes even put it back together and fix it" --Unknown

"'I wish none of this had happened.' 'So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.....'" J.R.R. Tolkien
95FZR600
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by 95FZR600 »

Cad, I dont know if you were going to give me a chain or what but thank you for asking. He bought me a 520 and I only cut off two links.

target, I should have it done by Tuesday. And sent out by wednesday.

Genesis, For right now Im going to leave it then dremmel out the inside bushing area so I can get a socket in there. I just want to ride it!

I was so fortunate today. My buddy (derek) who drove over to my house every day at 5pm and stayed til 11pm every night this week to help me with the mod of the swingarm drove around this morning and bought me a 520 o-ring parts unlimited chain and then went to our other buddies shop(freedom power sports) and picked up 4 used take offs and we picked the best one then went 25 miles to have it put on the rim for $12 bucks from a class mates work(cycle gear). I owe him big time now. :headbang:

As you can see, it lines up perfect! :headbang:

Again!

YAM93
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Re: Chain and tire install today;R6 Swingarm Mod**NEW PICS**

Post by YAM93 »

nice job ..... that looks so sweet.

post pictures of wheelies A.S.A.P.

:banana: :thumbsup:
" several meat-eaters lay in vomit, too weak to move..."
Genesis
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by Genesis »

HMMMM....damn Mark :thumbsup: , I look at the swing arm in my garage then see your build, You are making it hard to not want to do this. O Fock it.... i'll do it this winter. I don't know what I am going to call my bike.
1990 Yamaha FZR600 Genesis, Daily Driver
My FZR6 Rebuild

1985 GMC 4x4 T-15 X-Cab Sierra
1999 Chevy 4x4 Blazer (wifes car)

"If a man can build it, I can take it apart and sometimes even put it back together and fix it" --Unknown

"'I wish none of this had happened.' 'So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.....'" J.R.R. Tolkien
PIMPMYFZR
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by PIMPMYFZR »

congrats man ..LOOKS BEAUTIFUL !!!!!

now bolt that sucker all up and go ride it ..lol
2002 R1 9k miles , Hotbodies undertail , Chopped Hindle Hi Mount , Solo Seat cowl,Frame sliders, little yellow yamaha wheel stickers .hehe
94' 600RR SOLD**
hid xenon
airtek solo tail
time for a 1000
R.I.P DaD 2/17/09 Your in my <3 always
YAM93
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by YAM93 »

$25.99 for the swingarm AND the wheel ??

:duh: ClapHands ................................................ :jawdrop:

My GOD man !!!! i think my rear brake pads cost more than that.... what an awesome deal !!!!

(i take that back..... looks like about $2000 worth of labor, excellent work!!)
Last edited by YAM93 on Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.