Project 44 - 400/YZF Hybrid SHE STARTED TODAY!!!!!!

Got a Yamazuki or a Yamonda? This section is for those who are a little more creative...

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

China_Racer_1
Level 5.0
Level 5.0

Re: Project 44 - China_racer_1's 400/YZF Hybrid

Post by China_Racer_1 »

I have no idea if it is the same but if its supposed to be and will work with the f3 wheel then what are you asking for the whole rig?

send me a PM with the terms and lets work it out.
China_Racer_1
Level 5.0
Level 5.0

Post by China_Racer_1 »

Update: September 4th 2008

UPS has inspected the damaged items and is working on the claim. We will see what happens.

Spyder will check it out in detail and list out whats missing or damaged.

Then he gets the thing put together and ships to Hong Kong for me. I will take it from there.

A big thanks to Haunter. He and I worked out a sweet deal for his F-3 caliper set up including the rotor.

Shipping will cost more than the actual item as per usual for shipping here. But I will have it soon enough and can continue with mounting the rear wheel this way while I wait for the engine to get to me.

Thats it for now.

China _ Racer_1
China_Racer_1
Level 5.0
Level 5.0

Post by China_Racer_1 »

Well on the lighter side of the news... the back wheel is centered.

I obtained a caliper for the F-3 wheel so when it arrives I can have it mounted and finish tht side of tehswing arm swap.

All I will need then is to stuff an engine in there.

I decided if its going to take too long to get my race engine I will stuff the 400 engine back in it. Line up the sprockets and go race as is for the last race of the season.

This wil save me a bunch of money trent a race bike yet again. Problem is I will be dropping down to the 250 2 strokew / 400 4 stroke cclass.

No big deal I don't mind that too much.

Spyder should have a tally on whats missing and what it will take to get my engine buttoned up and shipped of to me soon. But we still need to deal with UPS.

OYA Carbon pulled through and they shipped my parts yeasterday. I should get them in a day or two. I can't wait. I can then get the engine and electrical set up and go race in a month and a half. I hope I get a lot of track time in to set it up right.
China_Racer_1
Level 5.0
Level 5.0

Post by China_Racer_1 »

Props to Haunter he got the F3 rear brake caliper and disc to me. Just arrived today. Same as pictured above. Now I can continue with the rear swingarm set up. Thanks Haunter!

This would have been a good day if just that showed up.

But no......... its good Karma day for me, I guess, and the Carbon Fiber showed up as well.

Some shinny new carbon fiber parts for ya to gawk over... this shit is so light weight!

Oya Carbon took care of me with brand new straight out of the mold Carbon parts custom made for my race bike. I am sure there are a few bikes this will fit on. Notice the filler hole is filled in and covered over. I don't need it with the new fuel cell. Race only I am afraid. In hind sight adding it in there even if I did not use it would have made it a a sellable product.

I only need to make a bracket and something to support the seat are and I will have the thing fit up to the stock sub frame. Eventually I will trim all that down and get just what I need under there and then go have it knocked off in Aluminum tube.

Pics of the process will follow. I plan to get to the shop wednesday morning to get started on it and stuffing the 400 engine in the project bike for now.
PIMPMYFZR
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by PIMPMYFZR »

Man those carbon fibers look so sexy!
2002 R1 9k miles , Hotbodies undertail , Chopped Hindle Hi Mount , Solo Seat cowl,Frame sliders, little yellow yamaha wheel stickers .hehe
94' 600RR SOLD**
hid xenon
airtek solo tail
time for a 1000
R.I.P DaD 2/17/09 Your in my <3 always
China_Racer_1
Level 5.0
Level 5.0

Post by China_Racer_1 »

Thanks I think so too. I can not get over how light they are. Only three layers thick of carbon fiber so thin yet tuff.

Oh I was looking to see what they would cost on the open retail market as I have no clue of thier cost.

I think the tail section would cost me about 400 buck or more
the tank cover about 300 and the fender about 150.

So they did me right by handing them over to me and also making a mold just for these parts. all for free

I can get the seat knocked off for FZR's and other bikes but the tank having no filler hole is an issue,. the front fende is a stock style R-1 fender to fit my R-1 frotn end.

I can't wait to fit them all on
China_Racer_1
Level 5.0
Level 5.0

Post by China_Racer_1 »

Update:

Today I got to the factory at 8:30am I had the engine out of the donor bike and in the project bike before 10:00AM

Donor bike - My last years racer. been sititng about a year in the corner of the shop in one form or another. When teh Hybrid is finished I will put the 400c engine back in here and use this bike as a trainer for our new team / club members. But for now its parts dedicted to the hybrid.

Engien in place y 10:00am

Then we test fit the body work a bit to see what we really had to do to the sub frame.
It will take a bit of doing but nothing too drastic.

Tried the Kawi 636 radiator as well. It will work fine and give me plenty of clearing for hard braking.

Back wheel in alignment. We found dead center of the frame wheel stering head etc and lasered a line. We then cut a spacer for the left side.

Until Iget the engine in and the sproket on this will at least allow me to fit up and true the caliper and spacer on the right side.

When I get the other things I need for the left side I will get John to machine all that up.

Tomorrow I will go back up to the shop and work on the electrical, Subframe, radiator and hooking up the carbs and fuel cell.
I think I can knock out most of that tomorrow.

Today I only had a 3 hour window to work on the bike.

Tomorrow I have more like 8 hours.
Speed Demon
Site Newbie

Post by Speed Demon »

Awesome build, and great thread too. Keep us posted :thumbsup:
sweekster
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by sweekster »

You never cease to amaze me Steve. The carbon bits look great. Can't wait to see pics of you on the track with it. :headbang:
Duane...
Bike:
1994 Yamaha FZR 1000 EXUP
Factory Pro Stage 1 Jetting | K&N Filter | Corbin Seat | ProTek Keyless Gas Cap | GSXR Mirrors
My Thread
Cage:
2005 Saab 9-7x 5.3i Arc AWD

THE WIKI IS YOUR FRIEND
THE SEARCH IS YOUR SIGNIFICANT OTHER
USE THEM!!
China_Racer_1
Level 5.0
Level 5.0

Post by China_Racer_1 »

sweekster wrote:You never cease to amaze me Steve. The carbon bits look great. Can't wait to see pics of you on the track with it. :headbang:
To be honest I am amazed I have something that looks like a bike, finally.
megaloxana
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by megaloxana »

Glad she's finally beginning to take form. Where can I get one of those screwdriver axle bolts/swingarm spools? :grinnod:

Can't wait to see that thing out on the track. Hopefully you get that engine fiasco taken care of.
'92 FZR 600
Airtech R1 kit \*/ 520 conversion \*/ 14F-47R gearing
K&N pod filters \*/ Stage 3 jet kit \*/ Factory Pro shift kit \*/ Full V&H SS exhaust
Custom '02 R6 undertail \*/ YZF gas tank \*/ Raised via dogbones \*/ custom flush turnsignals
Full R6 brake set-up \*/ SS lines \*/ Progressive fork springs \*/ ZX2 coilpack

ADD YOURSELF TO THE OFFICIAL FZRONLINE GOOGLE EARTH MAP :bunny :banjoman
China_Racer_1
Level 5.0
Level 5.0

Post by China_Racer_1 »

megaloxana wrote:............ Where can I get one of those screwdriver axle bolts/swingarm spools? :grinnod:

(Replies n a very old mans accent)
Well let em tell ya sonnny..... back in the day, those thar,... screwdriver- axle bolt -do-hickies were all the rage !..

I need tofigure out how to weld on some lugs to accept a spool I guess huh?

But for now......the do-hickie stay.
China_Racer_1
Level 5.0
Level 5.0

Post by China_Racer_1 »

I did make it back to teh shop as planned.

However (There's always a however) We hd a fit with the electrical. I hda a nold harnes as well as a new tome ful harness. it shoudl ahve been a simple: un-plug, plug ready t fre right bck up.

But when Igot to the shop both the harnesses were so inter mingled I had no clue what harnedd whas what. it was that mesed up.

When I left they were testing never single line an circuit to map it all out.

I told them I had a skamatic but I needed to get to the house first to print it out to fax to them.

Of course I bought the newish harness so this sort of thing woud not happen.

Welcome to working in China.

I did a few odd and end things. but until we get the electrical sorted and routed and see where we can put all the electronic parts and a battery. We really can not go ahead a whole lot. I should have this sorted by Monday though.

I have my cheif electrician for my motorcycle restoration business working on it. He will sort it out. I just don't realy like the way he goes about things though in the end it will be quality job if he is the one doing it. Since hate electronics thoguh I will not bitch since I can not do it myself.

About all I could do was change the bolts out on the engine casings for some nice new stainless steel hex head type.

Took a look and half ass mocked up the front dash which seems to be to low at present.
Fit up teh frotn brakes a bit mor secure. Looked at the bolts on the engine that hold on the exhaust and thought about changing them out for hex but then thought about how tuff it would be to get them out and time did not allow for me to get in to a task that deep.

I decide to go ahead and fit up the TZ body work to this set up. If the set up is that much different when I replace the 400cc with the YZF engine then I still have a few more blank sets to hack on But hopefully not much more would need to be done.

I would think the faring stays and afew other brackets should still be servicable.

Oh and a quick mock up of he F3 caliper looks like I can under mount it like wanted to. Not a big deal really just an odd looking bracket to hold it on.
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

China_Racer_1 wrote:I did make it back to teh shop as planned.

However (There's always a however) We had a fit with the electrical. I hda an old harness as well as a new tome full harness. it shouldl have been a simple: un-plug, plug ready t fire right back up.

But when Igot to the shop both the harnesses were so inter mingled I had no clue what harnedd whas what. it was that mesed up.

I bought the newish harness so this sort of thing woud not happen.

Welcome to working in China.

I did a few odd and end things. but until we get the electrical sorted and routed and see where we can put all the electronic parts and a battery. We really can not go ahead a whole lot. I should have this sorted by Monday though.

I have my cheif electrician for my motorcycle restoration business working on it. He will sort it out. I just don't realy like the way he goes about things though in the end it will be quality job if he is the one doing it. Since hate electronics thoguh I will not bitch since I can not do it myself.

About all I could do was change the bolts out on the engine casings for some nice new stainless steel hex head type.

Took a look and half ass mocked up the front dash which seems to be to low at present.
Fit up teh frotn brakes a bit mor secure. Looked at the bolts on the engine that hold on the exhaust and thought about changing them out for hex but then thought about how tuff it would be to get them out and time did not allow for me to get in to a task that deep.

I decide to go ahead and fit up the TZ body work to this set up. If the set up is that much different when I replace the 400cc with the YZF engine then I still have a few more blank sets to hack on But hopefully not much more would need to be done.

I would think the faring stays and afew other brackets should still be servicable.

Oh and a quick mock up of he F3 caliper looks like I can under mount it like wanted to. Not a big deal really just an odd looking bracket to hold it on.
Steve,
nice one, good job you have the carbons as sponsorware they are EXPENSIVE. As to things going electrically as planned it is not called electrickery for nothing and it is world wide not only in china believe me.

I used to photograph the old harness lay in place then all the special plugs in place, take out the old harness and lay it on a big board next to the new one already laid out over a nail layout and see what was different in plugs and lengths. then I would put it on the bike. It was still a hassle but just less frustrating some how.

The F3 underslung caliper:- is the bracket long enough to work with the bigger disks of FZR600's etc not the small disc of the 400? if so I will convert my 3EN set-up with 3HE caliper bracket & rose jointed tie rod to frame set-up (I may have a problem with hard re-bound between Rod * swing arm bracing). Underslung would stop that non-sense <BG>)

Thanks & good luck with the 'trickery
China_Racer_1
Level 5.0
Level 5.0

Post by China_Racer_1 »

George, that F-3 caliper is not originally an under slung type it was a top mount from what I can see.

And it is going on an F3 wheel with an F3 disc so I have no way to tell if it will fit a FZR-400 / 600 disc. I have the back wheel al being done one off by my machinist and will post how he went about it if that’s any help.

I am quite sure I need to weld a bar to the swing arm to make it stay in place.

PROJECT UPDATE: My electrician called and said he finally got the wring all sorted out. Now I will go to the shop tomorrow and spend al day dedicated to building this bike.

I can now go replace the coils with the acell ones I bought.

I need to get everything buttoned up tight and fit up the fairing as well so I can get that painted up in time for a presentation I need to give which features the bike.

I took a look at m rear sets and tried to fit them up to see just how much spacer width I would need.

I was shocked to se I need abut ¾ of an inch outward from the frame in offset to keep them from rubbing the wider swing arm I have on there off a 3TJ model.

I think I will just have John machine up some spacers for it that are a bit stouter for racing.

I hope I cn get a 170 in there with no issues. I think I can even get a 180 but it might start to rub or hit the chain. I will fit it up tomorrow and find out.

Once I have rubber on the rims I will get the front end sorted out as well. Get the brake bled etc…

I have some Barnett springs in the blown engine of the other 400 so I need to get them out of there and put them in this current race engine as well.

Radiator will be fit up tomorrow as well as hopefully knocking out the whole sub frame and getting the seat fit up 100%.

I will try to get a vid of the bike running and post it on You-Tube then link up form here.