First ride in a few years

Any topic relating to the FZR/YZF (UK) or motorcycling in general.

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

HeadRush
Site Newbie

First ride in a few years

Post by HeadRush »

After attempting to sell my bike and dealing with the stress of the deal going south, I decided to keep it. It was at my mother's house, so I woke up, got new tags, did some yard work while I was there, and rode it home. I was a little rusty at first, but it all came back fairly quick. It was a pretty good ride - little traffic, nobody tried to run me over, and I didn't scare myself. The best part of the whole day is that my wife is happy to see me back riding again, and one of my mother's neighbors who has a Gixxer complimented my bike even with the cracked fairings. Told me that it was a very clean bike for a '92. Now I can't wait to ride it to work!
Dangerous when bored.
YAM93
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Re: First ride in a few years

Post by YAM93 »

I can't see any reason to sell my bikes either. Unless you're injured and can't ride, I'd say just ride when you can, avoid traffic and bad weather, and have fun. How long ago did you stop riding and why ? Just makes me wonder.

Glad to have you here. Put your location information in your profile and also you can (if you like) post a picture (even in the GALLERY) and link it to your "SIGNATURE" which is under "User Control Panel".

It's nice for the rest of us to know where you're from and what your bike looks like. Helps us differentiate between all the other guys with long white bushy eyebrows around here.

:banana: :thumbsup:
" several meat-eaters lay in vomit, too weak to move..."
HeadRush
Site Newbie

Post by HeadRush »

YAM93 wrote:I can't see any reason to sell my bikes either. Unless you're injured and can't ride, I'd say just ride when you can, avoid traffic and bad weather, and have fun. How long ago did you stop riding and why ? Just makes me wonder.

Glad to have you here. Put your location information in your profile and also you can (if you like) post a picture (even in the GALLERY) and link it to your "SIGNATURE" which is under "User Control Panel".

It's nice for the rest of us to know where you're from and what your bike looks like. Helps us differentiate between all the other guys with long white bushy eyebrows around here.

:banana: :thumbsup:
Location info. has been updated and pics will be posted soon. I stopped riding in '02 after an accident (wasn't in the right frame of mind to be riding) and wanted the bike to be perfect when I brought it out again. I was making very good money back then, had stock options, and pretty much decided to get a new bike instead of fixing the FZR. Well, my companies stock tanked (semi-conductors), raises were getting smaller and smaller, got a divorce, and the bike was just put up. Always wanted to get out there and ride again, but just made a big deal out of my plastic being all torn up. I had extra parts laying around, but decided to work on my Mustang instead, which had even more parts laying around. Now I'm hooked again, and the bike isn't going anywhere. Thanks for the warm welcome.
Dangerous when bored.
95FZR600
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by 95FZR600 »

Fix and ride. You did the right thing by keeping her. Glad to hear you drug it from the garage.
2002 Yamaha R6-----2003 Yamaha R6

HeadRush
Site Newbie

Post by HeadRush »

95FZR600 wrote:Fix and ride. You did the right thing by keeping her. Glad to hear you drug it from the garage.
My wife has gotten bit by the bug now. :grinnod: She just told me that she'll beat me to death if I try to sell it again. Of course this was after I just ran out of gas trying to meet her somewhere. :rofl:

Posted a couple of pics in the Gallery.
Dangerous when bored.
95FZR600
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by 95FZR600 »

First thing you do when you get the bike out of storage is fill it with gas. :cheers:
2002 Yamaha R6-----2003 Yamaha R6

HeadRush
Site Newbie

Post by HeadRush »

Warning the post below is a bit long.

I've had my fair share of police bashing moments, and I thought it was time that I gave them a break. I don't hate police officers in general. I just hate the ones that abuse thier authority, use their discretion to write tickets for laws that they break, etc. On the other hand, I've run across some that act as though they could be your best friend. I work a 1am - 1pm shift on the weekend, and decided to ride the bike into work. In an effort to avoid some rough roads and construction areas around my job I went out of my way and took another route. I was about a good mile to 1.5 miles from my job when I stopped at a light where I needed to make a left hand turn. There were hardly any cars on the road and I expected the light to change fairly quick. Wrong! I rolled up a couple of feet, that didn't work, then a car came up to the light off to my left and I expected the light to change for me. Wrong again. The light changes for the car on my left, a car pulls up behind me, and I move up a little bit more with no results. I don't know how long I was sitting at that light, but I only had a few more minutes to get to work. I look over my shoulder to see if there were any cops around, but the car behind me had some really bright lights and I couldn't see a thing! Now I'm like screw it, I have to take my chances. It was a three way intersection so that made it easier (safer) to run the red light. I looked to the left, no cars; I looked up ahead for oncoming traffic, and there was some about a half mile up. Perfectly safe to proceed, so I put the bike in gear and take off. The car that was behind me decides to do it too, and I'm shocked, but more importantly I have to get to work. I'm unfamiliar with the area so I'm not speeding, especially when I don't know how far my next turn is up ahead. I see a sign for the street I need to turn on and begin to slow down a little. The car behind me is a bit close, because I still can't make out anything past his bright headlights. Anyway, I signal, get into my turning lane and turn. As I straighten up, I look over my shoulder to see the car that was behind me keep going straight. It was a cop! :yikes: All I could do was stare in shock at first, but then I busted into a roaring laugh and said out loud knowing that he couldn't hear me, "thanks officer!"
Dangerous when bored.
Luke-a-Tron
Level 2.0
Level 2.0

Post by Luke-a-Tron »

Nice! I know a lot of cops ride as it's a macho kind of thing to do and there's a whole lot oversized testicles around when it comes to police (not knocking on you guys, I just a know a few and you can't say it's not the truth). I'm guessing your friendly officer probably rides and knows the score when it comes to getting bikes to trigger lights. It would have been a major dick move to give you grief about it.

Aside: I rarely have problems getting lights to change on the FZR. How about you guys?