1988 project

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

saftie
Level 1.5
Level 1.5

Re: 1988 project

Post by saftie »

Hello,
Trail tech computer is hooked up, well at least rpm, speedo and power. Next up are the indicator lights.

Had bike out for a short ride and everything worked nicely.
Getting the bike into neutral is a pain, but the same thing happened to my 750. An oil change fixed that problem back then. I am hoping the same applies here.

I am not happy with the wiring because I just threw everything on there in the end to make it rideable for now. Everything works but doesnt look nice. I am thinking about rewiring the entire bike from scratch using a motogadget m-unit. This would also get rid of some things like fuse box and one or two relays.
I also want to relocate the ignition coils to inside the frame, somewhere under the tank.

I also don't like the thermostat housing. It's an eye sore. I probably go over to the streetfighter forum and check there for alternatives.
Last edited by saftie on Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
saftie
Level 1.5
Level 1.5

Post by saftie »

Bike as it stands now...
Haven't had time to take her in for seat yet.

saftie
Level 1.5
Level 1.5

Post by saftie »

Just had a look and I should be able to move the ignition coils under the tank. I have room to run a bar or similar across the frame which will give me plenty of mounting space.
I'll have to wait a bit until there is less gas in tank. Too freaking heavy to take off at the moment :)

While I'm at it, I'll move the petcock to the right side as well.
saftie
Level 1.5
Level 1.5

Post by saftie »

Seat done

saftie
Level 1.5
Level 1.5

Post by saftie »

Getting a second frame which makes it easier to work on things like redoing the sub frame, relocating battery and coils. My fiberglass rear fender/cover will go and I will have metal welded on instead. Once that's done and the battery box, which will go inside the frame, I will wire the bike from scratch. A bit messy with the original harness. Will go with the m-unit which also has a few relays as well as fuses built in.
My clutch slave is leaking and I just discovered a hole in the top seal. A bit annoying because it was a new set.
I also bought a fuel line quick disconnect that will tank removal easier in the future.
I keep changing oil and filters regularly at the moment because the engine appears to be very dirty inside. After only 20 miles of riding it was pretty dark. Hopefully this will improve soon. Getting bike into neutral improved a bit after last oil change. Still hard but should clear up soon too.

As you can see, there is always something to do.
saftie
Level 1.5
Level 1.5

Post by saftie »

Got my spare frame and built a mockup. Sides will be welded shut which will give additional strength.

Goes nicely with wheel

Battery box will go inside the frame. M-unit will be ordered this week and will sit under seat.
I will also close the gap between tank and subframe which is normally covered by the tail fairings.
saftie
Level 1.5
Level 1.5

Post by saftie »

Tearing down bike again.
Found a guy who will build the subframe for me. I am going with 1 inch tube to give it a beefy look.
Ordered stuff to get rid of the original thermostat housing. There will be an inline thermostat now which will go underneath the tank. An inline filler will sit above radiator right where hose leaves the frame. Could be a bit tricky with the tiny space available to route 1 inch hoses, but we'll see.
I am also trying to fit the ignition coils under the airbox. Fits but need to see how I can keep that plastic cover that shields from engine.
saftie
Level 1.5
Level 1.5

Post by saftie »

My inline thermostat and filler are on the way. I had the brilliant idea to turn the coolant pipes around to face backwards. They are cut and I will have the connecting pipe welded back on. In my pic, you can see what I mean. Good thing I have a spare engine for fitment off my bike.
Advantage is that I am freeing up a lot of room above the engine to fit my coils. Yay.
Subframe is dropped off and a guy is working on it. Ordered 1 inch chromoly tubes, should look nice.

Building the jig to drop off at plumber. Connecting pipe will be like shown in pic. Just needs to be cut of course. From there a hose goes into the thermostat and runs up to radiator where a filler will sit right outside the frame.
saftie
Level 1.5
Level 1.5

Post by saftie »

Coolant pipes are back and installed on bike. Only concern now is a leak and maybe the tank hitting it. But the latter "should" be OK. Unfortunately, my tank is with the guy who is building the subframe.
Winning lots of space where the pipes used to sit. I can easily fit my coils there, and maybe a coffee machine.

Next is to install the thermostat and filler. Thermostat most likely goes somewhere on the side of the bike. Need to play with it a bit. Ran out of time this morning.

Can't even see it from side

Space I am getting back now
saftie
Level 1.5
Level 1.5

Post by saftie »

Here a pic of the setup on my spare engine

Bracket to hold everything in place. Not pretty but pipes don't go anywhere...
saftie
Level 1.5
Level 1.5

Post by saftie »

Didn't think it all the way through and can't fit thermostat under tank bc of how the pipes are facing. Right now, I am thinking of just running it up the frame and put the thermostat up there. See pics. MAYBE I redo it and run a T connector between the two outlet pipes and fit the thermostat.

Also started on the coil location and mount. Fits but need to attach it now
saftie
Level 1.5
Level 1.5

Post by saftie »

Done with coils. Also shortened the coil wires a bit.

Radiator is back on bike again. I also had a spare scoop which i put on.
saftie
Level 1.5
Level 1.5

Post by saftie »

Btw, my new headlight came in. Wasn't so sure about the previous one. Wasnt that bright either. The mount makes it look bigger too. Should look good once installed.

saftie
Level 1.5
Level 1.5

Post by saftie »

Question: where does this bolt lead into? Have to check manual tonight but thought I'd ask.
It's pretty long. I am asking because when removed, it is a bit wet. Not oil or fuel though.

saftie
Level 1.5
Level 1.5

Post by saftie »

First pic of the subframe in the making...

Also, i replaced all fastener/clamp bolts on airbox and carbs with Allen hex. The old ones were stripping