Sooo, what is a 3BF?

FZR400 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

rduraoc
Site Newbie

Re: Sooo, what is a 3BF?

Post by rduraoc »

Problem solved. 4 new spark plugs, and she is going strong.
1990 FZR 400 (3BF) - they call her "The Tramp"
Evilchicken0
Level 3.5
Level 3.5

Post by Evilchicken0 »

Cool
Don't read everything you believe
FZR400RR 3TJ Bimota SB6
rduraoc
Site Newbie

Post by rduraoc »

So, my 3BF has been running well, I've been doing around 100km a day while commuting, and so far so good. But I have been noticing that the clutch engagement point varies with the bike temperature: clutch lever further out when cold, further in when warm. I have never noticed this on previous bikes I had, is this normal FZR behaviour? The clutch discs are new EBC, with little over 1000 km now.

Thanks!
Evilchicken0
Level 3.5
Level 3.5

Post by Evilchicken0 »

Did you soak the new plates in oil before fitting and did you us new springs ?
FZR400RR 3TJ Bimota SB6
rduraoc
Site Newbie

Post by rduraoc »

I did use new springs, but did not soak the discs in oil before installing...
Evilchicken0
Level 3.5
Level 3.5

Post by Evilchicken0 »

That might be it, it might have work the plate a bit but I couldn't say for certain. I'd imagine the clutch would slip though. You could go back in and measure them. I clean the spring bolts and holes in petrol so I get the right torque on them, youre compressing the springs rather than torquing the bolts ... that might help.

You've cleaned the mechanism behind the sproket cover - chain lube can build up in there, it could be this and th heat loosens it after a while.
Then adjust the clutch from the outside of the sproket cover behind the big rubber bung, slacken the locknut and adjust the screw (I use a long socket to do the nut back up while holding the screw steady with a screw driver, it's tricky)
Then adjust your clutch lever with 3mm slack at the lever.
FZR400RR 3TJ Bimota SB6
rduraoc
Site Newbie

Post by rduraoc »

Thnaks for the info. The clutch does not slip, so I'll get back in there and do a thorough adjustment of the clutch.
sephcm
Site Newbie

Post by sephcm »

What tires are you running?

Thanks.
Scott
1990 FZR 400 (99% stock)
rduraoc
Site Newbie

Post by rduraoc »

Sorry, I missed this reply. I bought it with a pair of stock size BT45, and that's what is still there. Rear tyre is starting to square off (I've been commuting with the bike, and that's mostly highway kms), so I'll have to start thinking about new tyres - I know, the 18" drama...
Brutus48
Site Newbie

Post by Brutus48 »

Hello guys,

First excuse me for the language I'am from The Netherlands.

I know this is an old topic but... yesterday i bought a FZR400, they told me it was an 1991.
After one day of searching i know it is exact the same as the one's at the first page. Included the mile counter instead of Km.
Now is my question, witch specs i can count on. I fount a lot of specs on the internet but no one with 3BFE or 400A.
Mine is an 35KW due to the limits of an drive licence of a 20 years old person. So i don't know now how much HP is original has.

I hope you can help me out,

Bert-Jan
TomcatMJ
Level 2.5
Level 2.5

Post by TomcatMJ »

Originally it has 47 kW / 64 PS ...i've got two of them,one registred and active on the road,the second in preparation for my brother who first will have to finish his licence ;)
The Modelyear is 1990 for the FZR 400 A, as there was no futher development for this Model,independant from its first registration. The Service Manual and also the Owners Manual are also still available as an official reprint inside the US ( at http://www.yamahapubs.com ) but we here in Europe then need someone who will order it and send it from the us as yamahapubs doesn't send to europe but only inside US-Ground....anoying, but even fact....but on the other hand its possible to find it also somewhere in the web ;)
Btw.: Your in the right country for getting spareparts @brutus48 as http://www.cmsnl.com has it in their List ;)
So if you need concrete Infos about the 3BF just ask, i've got the Service Manuals official reprint here ;)
"The social dynamics of the net are a direct consequence of the fact that nobody has yet developed a Remote Strangulation Protocol." -- Larry Wall
Want Pics? Then have a look at my galleries...different topics: Bike and Car restauration, exhibitions, Trackdays (no, not me on the Track until now), carneval in cologne, other things.. ;)
Brutus48
Site Newbie

Post by Brutus48 »

So thats nice, the seller says it had no restrictions in the carbs and that it was 35KW original. But after te test ride I already had a doubt about that.
64 hp is nice for the first bike.
On the internet i found a manual maybe you can compare it with yours? If I look at the frame number it must be good.

Now I have to wait another 4/5 months before I can do my driving test....
Last edited by Brutus48 on Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
TomcatMJ
Level 2.5
Level 2.5

Post by TomcatMJ »

Thats the one for the 1988 Modelyear..check your PM, as i don't know how they handle copyright-things with information or direct quotations of pages from servicemanuals instead of retyping the needed information in the country where the server resides...and i don't want to bring the siteowner in troubles just for some direct quotations of also retypable information ;)
(Here in germany they're sometimes ways to restrictive...)
Maybe you're perhaps interested in seeing some Restauration-Pics of a 3BF: https://flic.kr/s/aHsjXgiKRy
"The social dynamics of the net are a direct consequence of the fact that nobody has yet developed a Remote Strangulation Protocol." -- Larry Wall
Want Pics? Then have a look at my galleries...different topics: Bike and Car restauration, exhibitions, Trackdays (no, not me on the Track until now), carneval in cologne, other things.. ;)
Brutus48
Site Newbie

Post by Brutus48 »

Nice, a lot of pictures.
Did you crash your bike yourself? Doesn't look good, lot of damage?!
Think it was a lot of (paint) work to rebuild?! :yikes:
TomcatMJ
Level 2.5
Level 2.5

Post by TomcatMJ »

I bought it as a Bunch of Parts for roundabot 200 € via Ebay....not much cash available means i need more time to restore a bike,which was clear at searching a bike,not just afer i got this :D ..it wasn't registred for more than 8 Years so needed a complete re-registration here in Germany and the previous owner had lost the papers during movement somewhere in the past, which means i had to get him to the office for declaring he had lost the papers ;) ..thats even possible if the bike is really not stolen,but needs nerves to fight against the bureaucracy and around 250 Euros for the recertification by german TÜV, the officecosts, the declaration from the prevoius owner etc. ;)
It was without a complete Fairing so i had to organize another Fairing and what i got for around 100€ was a complete but partialy crushed Fairing which needed some Plasticrepair and afterwards even repaint :D

Nevertheless, the Last fairingrestauration was due to a nonsense Accident in last August,,,failed try of correcting a Brakefault (at the end the road was around 20 cm too narrow for getting it in track again, video talen from my onboard-cam mountet to the right mirorarm is available at another album of my flickr account), so i had a crash at around 40 km/h where the Bikde only cracked the left lower fairing,scratches a bit at the left mirror and the left mid-fairing and the left Motorcover got a small Break,was quite easy and quick to restaurate, easier than the healing of my brohen collarbone, shoulderblade and the 2 ribs ;)
(I'mDriving again since December because the shoulder healed without the need of an Operation, just with some straps like a Backpack (thats why this is called "Rucksackverband" here in Germany) and even some time...)

The complete history of this bike from the point i got it is documented in the german FZR-Forum in the FZR 400 Section where i'm doing the technical administration, but to view this a cost-free registration is needed there which is not needed to see my Flickr-Albums themselves ;)