Running on 3 cylinders | 96 FZR 1000

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

TomcatMJ
Level 2.5
Level 2.5

Re: Running on 3 cylinders | 96 FZR 1000

Post by TomcatMJ »

This should be the hole where the pressure is sucked out in order to get low-pressure to move the diaphragmas and with these the needle depending on the rpms ;)
So it has nothing to do with the fuel-chamber or the fuelvalve directly ;)
"The social dynamics of the net are a direct consequence of the fact that nobody has yet developed a Remote Strangulation Protocol." -- Larry Wall
Want Pics? Then have a look at my galleries...different topics: Bike and Car restauration, exhibitions, Trackdays (no, not me on the Track until now), carneval in cologne, other things.. ;)
Jordan_Ciaramitaro
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Running on 3 cylinders | 96 FZR 1000

Post by Jordan_Ciaramitaro »

@noodlemonkey just an update, after much tuning, I ended up wiring the exup valve I recently installed open and it seems to be running near perfect. Just a reminder I am running r1 carbs which I learned have some kind of aftermarket jet kit, the needles were all wrong and the mains are 138.

I learned on mine, the aftermarket needles were too long and bottoming out on any setting below 3 clips, hence why when I went below clip position 3 it did not change how the bike ran.

So currently my settings are (r1 carbs)

Stock air box
K&n filter
Aftermarket header
2015 r1 can
Float height 7mm
Clip position 2
138 main
Pilot size unknown
Pilot screw 1 turn.

I plan to tweak with it some more and may try pods as I think I have a set laying around.

It pulls hard down low now, but I do have a slight flat spot from 6k-8k only noticeable in 5th.

Almost forgot, I no longer have hanging revs, and now have proper engine braking which has allowed me to really push the old girl through some curves and I am highly impressed with how it handles especially for a worn out neglected old bike.
noodlemonkey
Site Newbie

Post by noodlemonkey »

Jordan_Ciaramitaro wrote:@noodlemonkey just an update, after much tuning, I ended up wiring the exup valve I recently installed open and it seems to be running near perfect. Just a reminder I am running r1 carbs which I learned have some kind of aftermarket jet kit, the needles were all wrong and the mains are 138.

I learned on mine, the aftermarket needles were too long and bottoming out on any setting below 3 clips, hence why when I went below clip position 3 it did not change how the bike ran.

So currently my settings are (r1 carbs)

Stock air box
K&n filter
Aftermarket header
2015 r1 can
Float height 7mm
Clip position 2
138 main
Pilot size unknown
Pilot screw 1 turn.

I plan to tweak with it some more and may try pods as I think I have a set laying around.

It pulls hard down low now, but I do have a slight flat spot from 6k-8k only noticeable in 5th.

Almost forgot, I no longer have hanging revs, and now have proper engine braking which has allowed me to really push the old girl through some curves and I am highly impressed with how it handles especially for a worn out neglected old bike.
Thanks Jordan_Ciaramitaro - Glad you managed to get going as well as she is,

So from my side, I took the plunge and purchased all new Emulsion tubes and needles and as mentioned in my previous post - gasket rebuild kit for all carbs,
I'm waiting on postage to deliver - either today or tomorrow,

I ended up buying new emulsion tubes because for some reason carb no.1's emulsion tube was stuck and I couldn't get it out, ended up using a rubber mallet (lightly tapping on it) and it snapped banghead banghead

Here is the carnage,

Hopefully over the weekend I'll have a running bike,

Question - Should I replace my spark plugs? or do the ones I have after a good clean will work fine.
noodlemonkey
Site Newbie

Post by noodlemonkey »

Right,

So the news isn't good - We are still battling carbs which are flooding - just to clarify where its flooding from, here is an illustration:
note this image was taken before new emulsions tubes were installed

Also - Gotta love new shinny parts,

Jordan_Ciaramitaro
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Looking at these carbs, seems if the jet holder gasket/oring were leaking it could cause your issue.
noodlemonkey
Site Newbie

Post by noodlemonkey »

Jordan_Ciaramitaro wrote:Looking at these carbs, seems if the jet holder gasket/oring were leaking it could cause your issue.
With my full car rebuild kit - I replaced those, and all other major seals.

I'm really stumped at this stage,

I'm going to lower my floats tomorrow to decrease the amount of fuel coming into the bowls and see maybe if that helps,

Carbs do not over flow - over flow pipes are bone dry - New Float needles were also replaced.
noodlemonkey
Site Newbie

Post by noodlemonkey »

I'll also document all my settings tomorrow including my float heights, maybe someone can see something I've missed,

Thanks in advanced.
noodlemonkey
Site Newbie

Post by noodlemonkey »

Right Ladies and Gentlemen - I've found a possible problem which Has now been rectified - although not confirmed and tested, but on paper it seems a Winner,

So after doing some digging around to find possible solutions, one thing i never checked was the float heights using the clear tube on the outside of the bowl, as illustrated below,

Although my floats were set internally at 14mm as per the service manual, my outside heights were 13mm, as seen above - it should be between 10.5mm to 11.5mm
I adjusted my floats to match exactly 10.5mm-11mm externally, but internally the floats were 16.5~mm

As seen in this illustration, if your floats are out ever so slightly the fuel will pour into the breather on the jet block (outlined in red) and will directly flow into the engine, problem is that fuel level isn't high enough to exit out of the overflow pipes (outlined in blue).

As said - Haven't tested it yet - Having to charge my battery before I can give it a spin - but on paper it seems this has been the issue
Even though my floats were set correctly to the manual, their levels were completely out,

NOTE! - in future if you have some clear break bleeding hose lying around - use this before tearing into your carbs,

Use the casting line dead centre of your carb bowls as the reference point. :headbang: :headbang:
Last edited by noodlemonkey on Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jordan_Ciaramitaro
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Man, I thought about suggesting this, I checked my current carbs this way but never the old bdst carbs.

I never noticed the breather hole on the jet block, in hind site I bet that is what was happening to with my old carbs.
noodlemonkey
Site Newbie

Post by noodlemonkey »

Sadly I have no updates at this stage. I've decided to spend the money and send it in. Once I get it back. I will provide an update. Hold thumbs this shop doesn't take me for a ride like the last.
Jordan_Ciaramitaro
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Sooooo.... What's the word?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
noodlemonkey
Site Newbie

Post by noodlemonkey »

Jordan_Ciaramitaro wrote:Sooooo.... What's the word?

Apologies for the delayed response - I've been away in Dubai for the Christmas season.

Complements of the season to everyone :headbang:

Regarding my bike - I ended up getting a set of carbs off a running bike. I sold the Keihin FCR carbs to someone which races a 94 FZR 1000 here locally and in exchange I got his carbs - Bike runs great, you can immediately feel the difference between standard carbs and the FCR's.

I treated myself to a new bike as a Christmas present to myself (thanks to my business :thumbsup: )
I purchased a 2010 Yamaha R1 with 15K Km's on the clock (9320 miles for our international guys)
Bike is completely standard - Planning on putting some upgrades on her - but for now, enjoying it very much,

I will post pictures when I get a chance to snap some.
Jordan_Ciaramitaro
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Wow! Awesome!!!! So glad you got it sorted out! I also treated myself to another bike for Christmas. Now quite as nice as the r1 but for $100, yep, a 100 bones I couldn't pass it up.
She has fox suspension, and a dynojet kit, 27k miles on the clock. I'm the second owner.

ImageImage