Donor bike to rebuild - California DMV registration

Any topic relating to the FZR/YZF (UK) or motorcycling in general.

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

amplificus
Site Newbie

Donor bike to rebuild - California DMV registration

Post by amplificus »

Hi all, I'm new to motorcycles so I wanted to see if anyone had some recommendations.

First of all, this would really be directed to the California people, as DMV registration can vary from state to state.

If I have buy a frame of a motorcycle, I assume that would be the registered component due to the VIN numbers or other ID marking. Would a frame have to come with a title and then do the DMV transfer?

Basically, if I buy a frame and a donor bike that the previous owner has no paperwork for, can I legit resister it? Thanks for your help!
amplificus
Site Newbie

Re: Donor bike to rebuild - California DMV registration

Post by amplificus »

Anyone?
Bike_junkie
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by Bike_junkie »

It varies from state to state, but no title is a nightmare in many places. Washington takes an inspection from the state patrol and 3 years of registration in you name before getting a title. Oklahoma has title 42 which takes about 2 months. But in general, buy something with a title. In some states it is next to impossible to get a transfer and a title if it doesn't come with it.
cb175 cafe sitting in storage
88 fzr4/6, only the frame is stock
lucky13
Site Newbie

Post by lucky13 »

check the numbers first with local police, then if it comes back clear, you can put in a title lien
thatkid
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by thatkid »

Or just let me know and if you aren't afraid of bending the law, you can get a title for any bike, anytime.
Do YOU Scopper?

"When some people cry, it's not because they’re weak. It’s because they’ve been strong for far too long."