Maybe go streetfighter with my FZR?

For the bad boyz, here a little arena for you to get fightin'!

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

hawcer
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Re: Maybe go streetfighter with my FZR?

Post by hawcer »

Some extra details in case someone really has to know.

The RC51 LED integrated tail light....fits 99 up to about 06 I think. I found mine on Ebay for under $10 shipped. I did have to remove the black bezel surround( it's just clipped on)

The Radiator scoops...I just guessed at this since I had no part dimensions to work off of. I used a set of scoops for a 04-05 YZ250.
The lower rearward mount hole on the scoops bolts directly to the the factory fairing mount tab on the frame(choke lever housing on the opposite side). I made some brackets to attach the front lower scoop holes to the lower tabs on the radiator.

I then cut down the factory air intake tubes and pivoted them down and along the inside if the upper scoop line. I welded bracket ears to the tubes and bolted them to the upper tabs on the radiator.
I had to drill and tap the holes for the upper rear bolt holes in the scoops in the frame( just behind the air intake ports). I had to install stand-off spacers between the scoop and frame for a little clearance...about 1/2".
Finally I drilled through the top area of the scoops that overlaps the air tubes, I also drilled and tapped the tubes in the same location for bolts to hold the upper "wing" section of the scoop from flapping in the breeze.
It's pretty solid and should hold up for quite some time.

EDIT:

I forgot to mention....With the aftermarket tail on this, the radiator overflow bottle was gone and the tube was routed down between the frame and swingarm.

Since the radiator cap is a real pain to get to under the tank cover, I had to add an overflow bottle. I found a square R/C airplane fuel tank (about 3-1/2"x5") in my stash of old R/C stuff that worked perfect mounted to the top of the subframe just in front of the tail light. It's hidden under the tail, but above the frame and the coolant level is visible when looking at it from the underside. Proof that you never know when you may need to use something....so keep everything! LOL
97 FZR600 Thunder rat?
97 GSX-R750
hawcer
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by hawcer »

After messing around with the stock gauges and trying to get them to fit this way and that, I gave up on them. If the darn speedo cable exited straight out the bottom of the gauge instead of out the side, I might have used them. I just didn't like the speedo cable routing and there is now good way to hide it.

So I just bit the bullet and ordered a DanMoto 180 cockpit/gauges. It seems to have what I need( Speedo, tach, temp and indicators). I had looked at a few different universal gauges...but most didn't have a temp gauge that was in my price range. Funny...they all seem to have a fuel gauge though, which I don't need,LOL.

97 FZR600 Thunder rat?
97 GSX-R750
Genesis
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by Genesis »

So you plan in converting to a digital sending unit? For the Speedo and tach ?

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2
1990 Yamaha FZR600 Genesis, Daily Driver
My FZR6 Rebuild

1985 GMC 4x4 T-15 X-Cab Sierra
1999 Chevy 4x4 Blazer (wifes car)

"If a man can build it, I can take it apart and sometimes even put it back together and fix it" --Unknown

"'I wish none of this had happened.' 'So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.....'" J.R.R. Tolkien
hawcer
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by hawcer »

Genesis wrote:So you plan in converting to a digital sending unit? For the Speedo and tach ?

Exactly!

Since most of these universal type gauges can be installed on bikes that never had instruments or limited instruments, it should hook up fairly easily on this bike.

The speedo will run off of a speed sensor mounted on the the front fork, reading off the wheel/rotor and can be calibrated for wheel size.

The tach should hook right into the factory wiring from the CDI/ignition control

The temp gauge should hook right into the factory temp sender wiring...but may need to be calibrated to read accurately via a different sensor or an inline resistor.

All other wiring should be a direct match-up without too much work.

I made this chart for color matching all the wires to the correct circuit. Some colors may vary, I'm just going off the schematic I have. FA for factory, DM for Danmoto:

Ground -- FA= Black, DM = Green
12v + -- FA= Light Brown, DM = Red
Tach -- FA= Grey , DM = Blue/black
Temp -- FA = Green/Red, DM = Purple
Illum -- FA = Blue, DM = Brown
Hi Beam -- FA = Yellow, DM = Blue
Neutral -- FA = Light Blue , DM = Light Green/Red
Oil light -- FA = Black/Red, DM = White/Blue
L Turn -- FA = Brown, DM = Orange
R turn -- FA = Green, DM = Light Blue

Note: The factory gauges turn indicator uses both wires from the L and R sides to complete the circuit and flash the single indicator. The Danmoto uses separate L and R indicators,each with it's own ground circuit, so they no longer will need to be used together to complete the circuit.

For people that like pics, I found this diagram for the Danmoto SP-8

I think I will try to use the two ignition switch attaching bolts as a location to mount a bracket plate for the Gauges. Either trap the bracket between the switch and upper triple or use longer bolts with spacers in between the mount plate and ign. switch.
Last edited by hawcer on Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
97 FZR600 Thunder rat?
97 GSX-R750
hawcer
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by hawcer »

I have some flush mount 3-wire LED turn/marker lamps ordered for the front...I'm also going to put a set on the rear sides to be a little more visible at night to other drivers. They are pretty small, so they shouldn't look too bad.

It's a good thing the tail lamp came with load resistors for the use with LED's, I'll probably need them now since I'm using all LED turn lights.

I also picked up some satin black epoxy paint for the wheels...I might just get crazy and paint the frame too....so I purchased extra,just in case,LOL.

Once I have everything "pre-fabbed" and looking like I want and working. It will get stripped down,cleaned and painted as well as all bearings and such cleaned and re-greased.

Maybe this weekend if time allows.

I do need to still find a rear brake switch and I'd also like to put a chain guard back on it that is missing. Anyone have any spares?
97 FZR600 Thunder rat?
97 GSX-R750
Genesis
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Re: Re: Maybe go streetfighter with my FZR?

Post by Genesis »

hawcer wrote:
Genesis wrote:So you plan in converting to a digital sending unit? For the Speedo and tach ?

Exactly!
The speedo will run off of a speed sensor mounted on the the front fork, reading off the wheel/rotor and can be calibrated for wheel size.
the front wheel sensor is a gear and cable set up. completely mechanical so unless this comes with a Speedo sensor to adapt to the end of the cable, don't know if it well work.

Thats why allot of us who did the r6/1 dash swap had to install a Speedo sensor and figure out how to use the signal from the coil to power the tachometer.
My FZR6 Rebuild

"If a man can build it, I can take it apart and sometimes even put it back together and fix it" --Unknown

"'I wish none of this had happened.' 'So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.....'" J.R.R. Tolkien
hawcer
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Re: Re: Maybe go streetfighter with my FZR?

Post by hawcer »

Genesis wrote:
hawcer wrote:

Exactly!
the front wheel sensor is a gear and cable set up. completely mechanical so unless this comes with a Speedo sensor to adapt to the end of the cable, don't know if it well work.

Thats why allot of us who did the r6/1 dash swap had to install a Speedo sensor and figure out how to use the signal from the coil to power the tachometer.
I know what it has from the factory and NONE of that will be used. The cable will be removed and a plug installed where it attached to the front wheel hub.

This gauge set-up comes with a pulse sensor that reads off of a magnet that is installed as a rotor bolt or attached to the rotor some other way,I thought I covered that. It's Not the best setup imo, but better than drilling a hole in the engine case...at least for now.

I'm not using a pre-existing cluster from a different bike, so I don't have to find an alternate way of making it work...I guess that's the beauty of the term "Universal".

This isn't rocket science, it's crotch rocket science! :headbang:
97 FZR600 Thunder rat?
97 GSX-R750
Genesis
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by Genesis »

Sounds awsome almost wish I had gone that way.

My FZR6 Rebuild

hawcer
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by hawcer »

I spent some time on this little biotch this weekend.

I refinished the rims,forks and engine cradle tubes in a nice satin black. I also touched up the engine and exhaust a bit while it was apart. I decided to leave the frame silver.

I removed all the manual fan switch BS and rewired it back to how it should be... running off the thermo switch. I also traced down and found the intermittent short to ground in the temp sensor circuit (gauge would peg out) while I had the harness split open. So everything should be ready for the new digital gauge pod.

I also ordered an new back tire to match the front tire.

Now it's just a waiting game...

BTW, I was out looking for matching bolts/fasteners so when this thing goes back together for it's final time it will look a little nicer than a bunch of mix and match stuff from the used bolt bin.
TIP: ACE is the place!, don't bother with anyone else except for maybe Fastenal. None of the other hardware/home improvement stores have a Metric selection like ACE.(at least around here)
97 FZR600 Thunder rat?
97 GSX-R750
hawcer
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by hawcer »

I have my new Danmoto gauges wired up and working. I made a gauge mount/dash that fits perfectly to fill the forward edge of the upper triple clamp and around the ign. switch. The mount is stepped downward just in front of the ign. switch so the gauge pod sits about level with the upper triple clamp....but the gauge does sit at a slight angle facing toward the rider.

There is enough acreage on both sides of the ignition switch in the mount for accessory switches. I will be installing a manual fan switch and possibly a accessory lighting switch in these areas. It should look great when all mounted up.

I also have my new back tire mounted and back on the bike. Once I get the wiring finished up, it's going back together for the final time.

I still have a little prep work on the Nighthawk fairing/headlight before painting can be done.
97 FZR600 Thunder rat?
97 GSX-R750
Genesis
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by Genesis »

Pictures? Need pictures. ;)

My FZR6 Rebuild

hawcer
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by hawcer »

Dashboard I made:

Gauges:

Gauges lit up/on:

97 FZR600 Thunder rat?
97 GSX-R750
Genesis
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by Genesis »

Very nicely done, I love when I can do something that looks OEM like that. It looks great.

My FZR6 Rebuild

hawcer
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by hawcer »

I have her just about complete. I lack mounting up the marker lights and the speed sensor. I really don't want to drill a hole through my rotor to mount the speed sensor pick-up magnet....so I think I'll hold off and get a rotor bolt mounted magnet.

I tested the temp gauge last night. The fan comes on at 3/4 gauge....good enough for me :thumbsup:

Should be done by this weekend for sure.
97 FZR600 Thunder rat?
97 GSX-R750
hawcer
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by hawcer »

97 FZR600 Thunder rat?
97 GSX-R750

Return to “Streetfighter'd / Naked / Chopped”