The ultimate head tool.

They don't call him the "King" for nothing!

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

modkingfzr600
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

The ultimate head tool.

Post by modkingfzr600 »

I have been working on a valve spring compressor design for a few years, well here it is. At 13 ounces, this compressor will allow you to swap springs , seals, and keepers with the head still on the engine , you won't have to waste a head gasket anymore doing vavletrain work.

With just 9Lbs of down force on the handle, you can have the spring off the valve in under 15 seconds ! then you simply slide the compressor over to the next valve and repeat the process.

With this compressor you can have ALL springs removed in under 5 minutes, which is extremely important at the race track or engine shop. The compressor head design will not allow the keepers to fall down into the oil passages, preventing engine teardown to find lost keepers further saving time.

zero9243
Level 8.5
Level 8.5

Re: The ultimate head tool.

Post by zero9243 »

Of course something this cool is from modking. That's awesome man!
Upgrades:
  • Barnett Clutch------------------------------------------R6 Blue Dots, Front Master Brake Cylinder+Reservoir
    WP Adjustable Rear Shock----------------------------Vortex 520 Conversion with RK GB520GXW Chain
    V&H Header (4-1)--------------------------------------Swingarm Spool Mounts
    Cobra F1r Exhaust Can--------------------------------R6 Voltage Regulator
    Flo-Commander with Remote-------------------------Custom Airtech Passenger Seat
    Stage 7 Jet kit with Diffuser Caps--------------------Factory Pro Nickel Emulsion Tubes
    Wiseco 630 Kit------------------------------------------Custom Frame Slider Mounts
    Modking Hydraulic Clutch Kit--------------------------Hella Projection Headlight with Xentec HID Kit (H9 Bulb)
    Modking Aluminum Radiator Overflow Bottle--------

megaloxana
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by megaloxana »

You still haven't lost your edge.
'92 FZR 600
Airtech R1 kit \*/ 520 conversion \*/ 14F-47R gearing
K&N pod filters \*/ Stage 3 jet kit \*/ Factory Pro shift kit \*/ Full V&H SS exhaust
Custom '02 R6 undertail \*/ YZF gas tank \*/ Raised via dogbones \*/ custom flush turnsignals
Full R6 brake set-up \*/ SS lines \*/ Progressive fork springs \*/ ZX2 coilpack

ADD YOURSELF TO THE OFFICIAL FZRONLINE GOOGLE EARTH MAP :bunny :banjoman
tkclow
Level 5.5
Level 5.5

Post by tkclow »

That is slick as hell!!! :udaman
92 FZR600
Yoshimura RS-3 Carbon Fiber Slip-on
02 R6 Caliper and MC Swap with S/S Lines
Dual Headlight Upper Swap
Clear Taillight w/LED Bulbs
Vortex 520 Conversion 14/47 RK Gold Chain
Shinko 006 Podium 150/60/18 rear 110/70/17 Front
More To Come
Model192
Site Newbie

Post by Model192 »

wtb head tool
PIMPMYFZR
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by PIMPMYFZR »

man u never cease to amaze us with these new inventions .. are you going to patent that thing ,if not .. can i ..lol.. maybe mass production
2002 R1 9k miles , Hotbodies undertail , Chopped Hindle Hi Mount , Solo Seat cowl,Frame sliders, little yellow yamaha wheel stickers .hehe
94' 600RR SOLD**
hid xenon
airtek solo tail
time for a 1000
R.I.P DaD 2/17/09 Your in my <3 always
modkingfzr600
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by modkingfzr600 »

not sure if i'll mess with patents, the last time i did that it cost me $800, plus they wanted 10K just to take the idea to conventions.
I think i'll just take care of my fellow fzr/yzf riders for now.
Luke-a-Tron
Level 2.0
Level 2.0

Post by Luke-a-Tron »

Patents have been turned into a tool almost exclusively for use by large corporations to be able to buy and sell ideas. They are essentially inaccessible for the garage inventor these days due to the high cost of registering ($300 for a physical patent IIRC) plus the money you need to spend on lawyers (thousands). On top of that, the USPTO has moved the burden of liability out of their hands and into that of the registrant. This is what I would say is the steamiest pile of bullshit in the whole thing as it leaves you liable if some one claims prior art (since it's your job to research that) and also allows unscrupulous companies to patent just about anything they want, despite the fact that some one may have already registered the exact same thing. You could literally take some one else's patent out of the archives, replace their name with yours and refile it. The USPTO does very little of their own research and as long as you don't you "find" any prior art, you'll most likely get your patent.

This whole giant mess came about from a court ruling in Texas in the 90s that allowed "business processes" to be patented. This opened the flood gates to millions of new things to be patented and since the whole concept was brand new, no one knew the rules that dictated these type of patents. This led to all sorts of ridiculous things being patented, like clicking a button to initiate an action (this was actually patented by Amazon, it has since been invalidated but only after much legal wrangling). As plainly obvious as this should be (and therefore not patentable), many such patents were issued and continue to be. This now allowed the patent holder to go and sue any one who was "infringing" on their patent, which works out to just about any one they want to.

This whole clusterfuck massively increased the caseload of the USPTO so they shifted the rules around to put more burden on the filers shoulders. Of course lots of special interest groups with lots of money heavily influenced these new rules and unsurprisingly, they now strongly favor those who had the most cash to throw around. Namely, giant corporations.

The whole idea of patents was to provide incentive for innovation by granting the inventor a window of time to be the exclusive benefactor of their invention. The perversion of the rules has morphed the system into a tool to make lawyers rich by walking on the backs of the people doing the innovating. The current system is now a huge roadblock to innovation because only the wealthiest people/companies can afford to defend themselves against the tidal wave of frivolous lawsuits by every douche bag who wants to claim you violated their patent.

In my opinion - and mind you, I'm no lawyer - if you're not planning on licensing it, you're better off just making your design public. You won't be able sue people for infringement but you will have established prior art which means you can have the patent of someone ripping you off invalidated. It's totally up to you make sure that this doesn't happen.

Sorry for the long post but this issue really boils my blood. The current arrangement is exactly the opposite of what the system was intended to be and it's making too many people too much money for it to be fixed.
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

zero9243 wrote:Of course something this cool is from modking. That's awesome man!
Mod King that begs the question what is the bottom line for FZROnline members ?
megaloxana
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by megaloxana »

Luke-a-Tron wrote:Patents have been turned into a tool almost exclusively for use by large corporations to be able to buy and sell ideas. They are essentially inaccessible for the garage inventor these days due to the high cost of registering ($300 for a physical patent IIRC) plus the money you need to spend on lawyers (thousands). On top of that, the USPTO has moved the burden of liability out of their hands and into that of the registrant. This is what I would say is the steamiest pile of bullshit in the whole thing as it leaves you liable if some one claims prior art (since it's your job to research that) and also allows unscrupulous companies to patent just about anything they want, despite the fact that some one may have already registered the exact same thing. You could literally take some one else's patent out of the archives, replace their name with yours and refile it. The USPTO does very little of their own research and as long as you don't you "find" any prior art, you'll most likely get your patent.

This whole giant mess came about from a court ruling in Texas in the 90s that allowed "business processes" to be patented. This opened the flood gates to millions of new things to be patented and since the whole concept was brand new, no one knew the rules that dictated these type of patents. This led to all sorts of ridiculous things being patented, like clicking a button to initiate an action (this was actually patented by Amazon, it has since been invalidated but only after much legal wrangling). As plainly obvious as this should be (and therefore not patentable), many such patents were issued and continue to be. This now allowed the patent holder to go and sue any one who was "infringing" on their patent, which works out to just about any one they want to.

This whole clusterfuck massively increased the caseload of the USPTO so they shifted the rules around to put more burden on the filers shoulders. Of course lots of special interest groups with lots of money heavily influenced these new rules and unsurprisingly, they now strongly favor those who had the most cash to throw around. Namely, giant corporations.

The whole idea of patents was to provide incentive for innovation by granting the inventor a window of time to be the exclusive benefactor of their invention. The perversion of the rules has morphed the system into a tool to make lawyers rich by walking on the backs of the people doing the innovating. The current system is now a huge roadblock to innovation because only the wealthiest people/companies can afford to defend themselves against the tidal wave of frivolous lawsuits by every douche bag who wants to claim you violated their patent.

In my opinion - and mind you, I'm no lawyer - if you're not planning on licensing it, you're better off just making your design public. You won't be able sue people for infringement but you will have established prior art which means you can have the patent of someone ripping you off invalidated. It's totally up to you make sure that this doesn't happen.

Sorry for the long post but this issue really boils my blood. The current arrangement is exactly the opposite of what the system was intended to be and it's making too many people too much money for it to be fixed.
you sir are completely right. After filing for patents at work, I dont see how any average joe can even think about trying to patent something. The costs involved are ridiculous.
'92 FZR 600
Airtech R1 kit \*/ 520 conversion \*/ 14F-47R gearing
K&N pod filters \*/ Stage 3 jet kit \*/ Factory Pro shift kit \*/ Full V&H SS exhaust
Custom '02 R6 undertail \*/ YZF gas tank \*/ Raised via dogbones \*/ custom flush turnsignals
Full R6 brake set-up \*/ SS lines \*/ Progressive fork springs \*/ ZX2 coilpack

ADD YOURSELF TO THE OFFICIAL FZRONLINE GOOGLE EARTH MAP :bunny :banjoman
modkingfzr600
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by modkingfzr600 »

yamaha_george wrote:
zero9243 wrote:Of course something this cool is from modking. That's awesome man!

probably around $50 USD for members george .
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

modkingfzr600 wrote:
yamaha_george wrote:

probably around $50 USD for members george .
MK,
That is a good price, but for those who are new to this thread you need to replace your pictures they have vanished !!!
haunter
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by haunter »

I will need one I need to do a valve check after next season....
modkingfzr600
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by modkingfzr600 »

just hit me up when you guy's need one , this is an item that i will be able to make for an indefinate amount of time.
shredex
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by shredex »

yamaha_george wrote: MK,
That is a good price, but for those who are new to this thread you need to replace your pictures they have vanished !!!
should use imageshack.us for image hosting...I use that and myspace as my image hosters...and myspace automaticaly resizes the pics to a nice 600pixal width

Return to “Modking [Custom Fabrication / Machining]”