my new fzr 600

FZR600 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

Mrjtnorwood
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

my new fzr 600

Post by Mrjtnorwood »

so i just got a 1990 fzr 600. I had posted a craigslist ad saying that i was looking for a motorcycle or boat to fix up. the guy contacted me and said he had this bike, but was moving and couldnt take it with him. he said that if i came to pick it up and brought a few hundred bucks with me, it would be mine. so i got it for 250 bucks. it has about 20k original miles on it, he cranked it about 6 months ago but hasnt rode it for a year.

as of right now i have taken off the fairings, taken out the battery, taken out the fuel tank and drained it-also removed the fuel filter, i have soaked the chain in liquid wrench chain lube and scrubbed each and every link with a toothbrush, i have drained the oil, taken off the oil filter housing and removed the old filter, and i have taken apart the brake calipers.

i have a new air filter, new oil filter, new fuel filter, and a new oil filler cap( it was dry rotted or something and broke all to pieces) coming in the mail.

once they come in im going to put fresh oil in her with some marvel mystery oil to clean out the engine. im going to fill up the tank with a little sea foam to clean the injectors up, and im going to put her back together.

as far as the brakes im going to go to my friends today and try to get the pistons to come out via air and make sure it all looks good on the inside, then ill get some new brake pads and reinstall those.

the tires look half decent but im going to replace them as well, sitting for a year isnt a great thing for tires in my opinion..

im also planning on redoing the seat with some marine vinyl, there are vids on youtube about this but all the seat pans in the vids are plastic, and this one seems to be fiberglass, so im gonna have to get a pop rivet gun and figure that out too.

this is my first ever bike, ive rode dirt bikes a few times in my life and have always wanted a bike. before i start riding it i plan on taking the motorcycle safety course and ill take it very easy at first. i know that motorcycle are something to be respected, but you must also respect and be mindful of the cars around you. im not an idiot looking for fame and to look cool. i am intrigued by motorcycles designs and capabilities. - i just threw that in to assure you that im not another idiot getting a "crotch rocket" to show off for the ladies, etc.. etc..

just tell me what you guys think, if i should do anything else to it before i get into riding it. i havent even attempted to start it yet, i figured i should get all the filters and such nice a clean first so that it has a fresh start, but it will start, i am confident in that.

1990 fzr 600
Mrjtnorwood
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Re: my new fzr 600

Post by Mrjtnorwood »

also, with the bike i also got a helmet, a haynes guide for the bike, the jack in the picture, and a new windscreen(red) still in the package. i got all that for the $250.
1990 fzr 600
reelrazor
Wrench
Wrench

Post by reelrazor »

That's an aftermarket Corbin Saddle. Were decently expensive, and comfy tho heavy.

No injectors-these bikes are carbureted. So, those will probably have to be broken down and cleaned really well.

You got a nice score, and sound as if you know your way around a bike a bit.

It'll definately have issues to be sorted out, but we'll help you with anything you can't figure out.
http://www.michiganmobileservice.com/

“A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.”-Douglas Adams

http://www.youtube.com/user/reelrazor
Mrjtnorwood
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by Mrjtnorwood »

Meant to say carbs, not injectors. My bad. Lol. I don't really know about bikes, I'm just mechanically inclined. I've worked on trucks a lot. All the work on this bike is done via the Haynes guide and the interwebs. Lol. I'm just learning as I go. So you think I should pull out the carbs and clean the? Or wait to see how she sounds? Also I really am glad it's the red, white, and blue color scheme- the blk/purple seems way more popular, but I think this looks more flashy. Lol. And it seems more rare.

You think I can re-rivet new material onto that seat? Cause new seats are expensive... My friends brother in law is a upholstery guy, I think I may ask him what he'd charge- but I like doing stuff myself if possible.
1990 fzr 600
pnbell
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by pnbell »

First: Congrats!! Awesome Find! Looks to be in great shape.

Its hard to see whats wrong with the seat in the pictures. The Bottom looks rough, but the top looks ok. Decent Stock (front and rear) seats can be had on ebay for under $100. -if you're simply looking to get something inexpensive and decent.

You should definitely pull the carbs and clean them thoroughly (Soak everything in Carb Cleaner) old gas will be like hard glue in there; looks like you've already removed everything you need to in order to pull them. -it's easy. i've removed my carbs like 4 times in the last two weeks.. :/ haha

*When you remove the Carbs Check the intake boots for cracks; any leaks in these boots will cause very annoying running issues. (this is why my carbs were off 4 times recently)

Since you'll be learning to really ride on this bike you want it you operate the best it can. Dirty or Leaky Carbs will make the bike really jumpy and difficult to ride safely.

Do you know if the Valves have ever been shimmed? or any head work was done on the bike? If you feel like investing the time, checking the valve clearances would be a great idea. Save you a lot of headaches and questioning in the future. Not hard or expensive to do.. just takes time; few hours maybe.

That's really about all you need to do until you get it running and can see if there are any obvious issues.

Replace the tires for sure! Tires are the only thing that between you and the ground; this is probably the best money you can spend when it comes to bike safety.
-Pete
Current Toys
1995 FZR600
2002 Ducati 900ss
2008 Versys 650
1991 CB250
1978 CB350
Past Bikes
1981 CM400t
1981 GS650
1998 FZR600
1994 VS800
2004 SV650
sweekster
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by sweekster »

Welcome aboard. If you want a good lesson on bikes an FZR is, in my opinion, THE place to start. You'll love it and hate it but will be rewarded in the end. You got a good example there as well. Getting harder to find them with the original bodywork and frame intact.
Duane...
Bike:
1994 Yamaha FZR 1000 EXUP
Factory Pro Stage 1 Jetting | K&N Filter | Corbin Seat | ProTek Keyless Gas Cap | GSXR Mirrors
My Thread
Cage:
2005 Saab 9-7x 5.3i Arc AWD

THE WIKI IS YOUR FRIEND
THE SEARCH IS YOUR SIGNIFICANT OTHER
USE THEM!!
Mrjtnorwood
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by Mrjtnorwood »

Is there a guide on here to take apart the carbs? I can just use my guide book I got. Lol. And you said soak them in carb cleaner- do you mean like dunk em in a bucket? Lol. Or just spray a lot. Idk if it comes in a bottle that isn't a spray bottle.
1990 fzr 600
Mrjtnorwood
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by Mrjtnorwood »

Also, I have heard that the fzr is a great bike to learn on. I like how it feels seating wise, and it is just a solid bike. And for $250 bucks, it can't be beat. Haha.
1990 fzr 600
Mrjtnorwood
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by Mrjtnorwood »

Also, the seat isn't bad- its starting to pull apart in the front, and my biggest issue with it is that it's like stained and grungy looking. Just from being in the weather I'm sure, lol. Is there anything to use to get the grime off? Otherwise could I just punch out the old rivets, get some marine vinyl, and re rivet it with pop rivets in the original holes? I'm about to post pics of the seat.
1990 fzr 600
Mrjtnorwood
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by Mrjtnorwood »

1990 fzr 600
Mrjtnorwood
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by Mrjtnorwood »

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=exa467_eoXw

This guy has some great vids about motorcycles, I'm gonna take apart the carbs- about to go start now and clean them like this guy does in the vids.
1990 fzr 600
pnbell
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by pnbell »

I don't have much advice about the seat other than search for a good vinyl cleaner and scrub scrub scrub with a nylon brush and water.

As far as the carbs, you can remove the float bowls, floats, and then the jets just screw out. By soak i meant pull the jets (all the brass pieces) out and soak them in a little dish of Carb Cleaner; this cleaner is pretty aggressive and you should avoid getting it on rubber.

Basically any video or info you read on Carb Cleaning is applicable. All Carbs are more or less the same... Its not hard, just don't lose the pieces, and install everything back from where it came.

Oh lastly; carbs are gentle creatures, don't super torque or force anything.
-Pete
Current Toys
1995 FZR600
2002 Ducati 900ss
2008 Versys 650
1991 CB250
1978 CB350
Past Bikes
1981 CM400t
1981 GS650
1998 FZR600
1994 VS800
2004 SV650
Mrjtnorwood
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by Mrjtnorwood »

Yea, haha. That guys vid said all that, I'll be working on all that today. And my landlord has a big metal building in front of my house that he has given me permission to use with lights and everything, so yay for now being able to work on it out of the weather and whenever I want. As far as the seat I think I can re rivet it. I'll give it a shot anyways, lol. We'll see what happens. Haha. Just gotta wait on my filters and such from bikebandit. They shipped out yesterday morning.
1990 fzr 600
pnbell
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by pnbell »

Great. It's awesome you have access to that little makeshift shop.
Basically my whole life has been:
"Hurrying Before the Sun goes down.."
"I'll just hold this flash light in my mouth"
"Tie this tarp to the bike and i'll hold it up with my head while it rains..."

Keep us updated.
-Pete
Current Toys
1995 FZR600
2002 Ducati 900ss
2008 Versys 650
1991 CB250
1978 CB350
Past Bikes
1981 CM400t
1981 GS650
1998 FZR600
1994 VS800
2004 SV650
delvryboy
Level 5.0
Level 5.0

Post by delvryboy »

Simple Green sprayed on a Magic Eraser will make it look like new. ;)
'92 FZR600
Race Tech Springs & Gold Valve Emulators * '06 R6 MC & Calipers * '06 R6 Rear Shock
130 Dynojet Mains/Pods/Flo-Comander * Full Yoshi Exhaust w/ Custom Can
'06 R6 VR * Full OEM Clutch * 14/49 520 Gearing
Seca II Triple w/ Modded Sport Tour Bars * Aztec8 Dual 4" w/ 4100K Halagon lamps * LED Tail/Turn Signals * Vapor Gauges
Lots of Powder