Couple Questions - '89 FZR 600

FZR600 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

hybridioN
Site Newbie

Couple Questions - '89 FZR 600

Post by hybridioN »

I recently picked up an '89 FZR 600 for the great price of free. It's in good shape, but hasn't been run in about a year or 2. Besides cleaning out the fuel tank of the old fuel and carb cleaning, an oil change is gonna be in order. I've been doing some research about the oil filter types. From what I've seen Purolater LP14610 and LP14612 (I believe those are the numbers), seem to be very popular. The difference between them is the actual size of the filter. Now my question is when replacing the filter, should I put back on the "oil filter casing" that is on there? Or can I keep that off?

Any input is greatly appreciated.
DonTZ125

Re: Couple Questions - '89 FZR 600

Post by DonTZ125 »

Not sure what you mean. The '89 used an internal filter, as in 'inside the engine'. If you leave off the cover, you are leaving off part of the engine, and you'll crash from oiling your front wheel before you have a chance to seize the engine from lack of oil!
tjs5443
Site Newbie

Post by tjs5443 »

Googled those filters but didn't find anything so im not sure what it is you're looking at. The 89's use drop in style oil filters while the newer ones(91+?) cant remember years use the spin on kind.
hybridioN
Site Newbie

Post by hybridioN »

Ok, so I won't be able to use a screw on filter? If so, would I have to order an OEM filter like #7 in this picture: http://www.imagessite.com/OEM_Images/Ya ... 600W09.gif

edit: so after a quick search I've found K&N #KN-144. Image
DonTZ125

Post by DonTZ125 »

There are a variety of aftermarket vendors for that filter. You also have the option of buying the adaptor plate from a '91+ FZR600 and machining down the central 'nose' on the crankcase; this has been done by many, here and on the Archives, but it isn't a drop-in process.
hybridioN
Site Newbie

Post by hybridioN »

DonTZ125 wrote:There are a variety of aftermarket vendors for that filter. You also have the option of buying the adaptor plate from a '91+ FZR600 and machining down the central 'nose' on the crankcase; this has been done by many, here and on the Archives, but it isn't a drop-in process.
Yea, I think I'm going to go with the K&N one I posted up for now. I will also look into the swap you mentioned.

Thank you for the input.
sweekster
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by sweekster »

The bigger question is do you have the spin on or canister filter. Spin on would denote a 1990 or newer motor and the filters you mentioned (or anything for a Mazda Miata/MX-5/Eunos) would work.
Duane...
Bike:
1994 Yamaha FZR 1000 EXUP
Factory Pro Stage 1 Jetting | K&N Filter | Corbin Seat | ProTek Keyless Gas Cap | GSXR Mirrors
My Thread
Cage:
2005 Saab 9-7x 5.3i Arc AWD

THE WIKI IS YOUR FRIEND
THE SEARCH IS YOUR SIGNIFICANT OTHER
USE THEM!!