Oil change and clutch is slipping

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

NoNothing
Site Newbie

Oil change and clutch is slipping

Post by NoNothing »

I know this pops up all the time but I think my search fu is terrible I cant find the answer Im looking for.

I recently changed my oil with Motul T7100 full syn. (http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/ ... il-4T.aspx ). Ive started to notice some slight clutch slippage if I really get on the throttle the revs will usually jump from ~7k to ~9-10k while the bike isnt accelerating at the rate the needle rises. I'm assuming this is because I put full synthetic oil in my bike. I do have to admit apart from the slipping my shifts have never felt better, its amazing.

What is it I'm looking for on the oil bottle that lets me know that I'm ok to put it in my bike? I thought 'wet clutch' was enough. IIRC there was some 2 letter code that was the standard the oil was built to in terms of additives. I cant find that code anywhere.

I'm assuming I can just go buy some oil that meets whatever standard I'm supposed to meet without these additional friction modifiers, do an oil change and call it a day and my clutch will be back to good in a few hundred miles?
87 FZR1000
taggy
Level 1.5
Level 1.5

Re: Oil change and clutch is slipping

Post by taggy »

you should be using semi-synth i think, the bikes are a bit older and fully does give slip. The codes in the uk are usually 'asi....' and appear in the manuals with the oil weight if i remember correctly. Not sure about the US though. there is another code with two digits but can't remember what!
Fzr400 3tj x2
fzr400 3en1 (17in conversion) now gone its way in parts!
'94 cbr 900rr
reelrazor
Wrench
Wrench

Post by reelrazor »

I have found that going from dino oil to synthetic-whether blended or full synth will often result in the clutch plates slipping.

I think it's more about the radical change in what they are used to more than anything.

The clutch plates (fibers and steels) are embedded with the previous oil, and I think the synth ends up sitting on top of that. With its' great shear strength I think it forms a film between the plates and make slippage happen.

I have had luck removing the fibers and steels and hosing them down with bra-kleen and scrubbing them with scotchbrite and then soaking them in the new oil for a few hours.

Gotta kind of do this soon, or they will get glazed up past the point of recovery.

And, make sure your clutch adjustment is correct.
http://www.michiganmobileservice.com/

“A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.”-Douglas Adams

http://www.youtube.com/user/reelrazor
kilika2
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by kilika2 »

I agree. I'm using semi synthetic and haven't had any slippage yet. The thing you are looking for is in the back of the bottle. It's a circle and the top part says one thing you want the bottom to be blank. If it says energy conserving or something along those lines put it back. I use castrol gtx semi synth for Reference if need be.

Chris.
ImageImageImage
Before(5/5/09)_____________After(5/5/10)_____________Way After(8/1/10)

1995 FZR600 Sold :-(
2006 R1 Sold :-\
2009 Buell 1125R :-)
NoNothing
Site Newbie

Post by NoNothing »

darn.

Oh well, today is work on the motorcycle day anyway. Ill pick up some Castrol GTX today and a new filter. Ill pull the clutch and clean the plates and then when I put it I'll make sure it's aligned properly.

It slips so little I almost want to leave it, but I sure as hell dont want any damage to my clutch that will cause me to prematurely buy a new one :D.

How long does the clutch usually last? Im at just over 20k?
87 FZR1000
zero9243
Level 8.5
Level 8.5

Post by zero9243 »

see now im using a barnett clutch kit with lucas oil full synthetic with no slipping so idk, maybe the stiffer springs make up for it?
Upgrades:
  • Barnett Clutch------------------------------------------R6 Blue Dots, Front Master Brake Cylinder+Reservoir
    WP Adjustable Rear Shock----------------------------Vortex 520 Conversion with RK GB520GXW Chain
    V&H Header (4-1)--------------------------------------Swingarm Spool Mounts
    Cobra F1r Exhaust Can--------------------------------R6 Voltage Regulator
    Flo-Commander with Remote-------------------------Custom Airtech Passenger Seat
    Stage 7 Jet kit with Diffuser Caps--------------------Factory Pro Nickel Emulsion Tubes
    Wiseco 630 Kit------------------------------------------Custom Frame Slider Mounts
    Modking Hydraulic Clutch Kit--------------------------Hella Projection Headlight with Xentec HID Kit (H9 Bulb)
    Modking Aluminum Radiator Overflow Bottle--------

DonTZ125

Post by DonTZ125 »

zero9243 wrote:see now im using a barnett clutch kit with lucas oil full synthetic with no slipping so idk, maybe the stiffer springs make up for it?
Yes, but had you used non-synth with these plates, or did you change plates and oil at the same time? RR's point was that changing oil types can cause issues due to residues from the previous oil. No previous oil, no issues...
zero9243
Level 8.5
Level 8.5

Post by zero9243 »

DonTZ125 wrote:
zero9243 wrote:see now im using a barnett clutch kit with lucas oil full synthetic with no slipping so idk, maybe the stiffer springs make up for it?
Yes, but had you used non-synth with these plates, or did you change plates and oil at the same time? RR's point was that changing oil types can cause issues due to residues from the previous oil. No previous oil, no issues...
Ah yes, that makes sense. They were new plates and new oil.
Upgrades:
  • Barnett Clutch------------------------------------------R6 Blue Dots, Front Master Brake Cylinder+Reservoir
    WP Adjustable Rear Shock----------------------------Vortex 520 Conversion with RK GB520GXW Chain
    V&H Header (4-1)--------------------------------------Swingarm Spool Mounts
    Cobra F1r Exhaust Can--------------------------------R6 Voltage Regulator
    Flo-Commander with Remote-------------------------Custom Airtech Passenger Seat
    Stage 7 Jet kit with Diffuser Caps--------------------Factory Pro Nickel Emulsion Tubes
    Wiseco 630 Kit------------------------------------------Custom Frame Slider Mounts
    Modking Hydraulic Clutch Kit--------------------------Hella Projection Headlight with Xentec HID Kit (H9 Bulb)
    Modking Aluminum Radiator Overflow Bottle--------

NoNothing
Site Newbie

Post by NoNothing »

DonTZ125 wrote:
So i should use the oil I used before? Ha, of that I have no idea.

Also every oil I can find meets the API SJ,SL or SM specs I'm supposed to avoid.
87 FZR1000
kilika2
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by kilika2 »

If there is an oreillys near you that's where I get my oil. My castrol says API service sm on it in the top portion of the circle. Just make sure nothing below.

Chris.
ImageImageImage
Before(5/5/09)_____________After(5/5/10)_____________Way After(8/1/10)

1995 FZR600 Sold :-(
2006 R1 Sold :-\
2009 Buell 1125R :-)
NoNothing
Site Newbie

Post by NoNothing »

Just pulled my clutch, the springs are too short :(. The plates are all within spec. The springs are all ~44mm and the spec min is 54. I guess its time to get new clutch springs.

On that note, where can I find a clutch cover gasket? I'm not having Google luck.
87 FZR1000
DonTZ125

Post by DonTZ125 »

http://www.ronayers.com/ProductDetails/N/687/SKU/669187

Your Google-fu is weak, Grasshopper ... :mrgreen:
NoNothing
Site Newbie

Post by NoNothing »

DonTZ125 wrote:http://www.ronayers.com/ProductDetails/N/687/SKU/669187

Your Google-fu is weak, Grasshopper ... :mrgreen:
Thanks great master!

I checked RonAyers but I guess late and doing it on my phone led to my fail.
87 FZR1000
basstracker
Site Newbie

Post by basstracker »

I use YamaLube 20w-50 non synthetic recomended by a yamaha dealer on a 90 Exup 1000 with great success!