2nd gear grinding?

FZR600 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

89fzr884
Site Newbie

2nd gear grinding?

Post by 89fzr884 »

Well since I got the bike a few months ago I have noticed then when I am going and try to shift into second, sometimes it is going into neutral or just grinding a bit before it goes in, espically in the higher rmps, I'm not sure if this is clutch related? Anyone else have this problem?

Thankyou

Billy
91FZR
Site Newbie

Re: 2nd gear grinding?

Post by 91FZR »

I have the same problem. I believe it's common.
Here's an article on it viewtopic.php?f=8&t=206
thatkid

Post by thatkid »

This may or may not solve your problem. When I got my bike there was a similar issue, difficult to change gears sometimes 1st to 2nd stuck in neutral or slight grinding into 2nd (unless I held the clutch in longer). The gear lever has an external pivot (near the foot peg) I lubricated that, all gear changes where so much easier and smoother, something You should try before stripping the gearbox down.
ragedigital
4000+ Posts
4000+ Posts

Post by ragedigital »

It is fairly common on the FZR's to have shift issues... but Yamaha transmissions are still clunky. (Psst... my Suzuki tranny is butter smooth, but don't tell anyone)

1. You can buy a shift spring kit from Factory Pro that adds a stronger spring and helps alleviate the "shift into Neutral" problem. Helped my FZR out a bit.
2. Make sure your clutch is adjusted properly: http://www.fzronline.com/ragedigital/cl ... stment.gif

Here's another possible issue :: The previous owner probably knew about the problem and did nothing about it making it worse - it happens.

You can also shift at a lower RPM into 2nd gear and that will help.
Thanks for joining and participating in the most "active" FZR Community on the internet!