YZF Fuel Sensor to FZR Tank...?

Got a Yamazuki or a Yamonda? This section is for those who are a little more creative...

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

SilverJS
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

YZF Fuel Sensor to FZR Tank...?

Post by SilverJS »

Anybody done this? Is this just a question of finding a suitable flat spot, drilling three holes, installing the gasket and you're golden?

Cheers!
cad600
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Re: YZF Fuel Sensor to FZR Tank...?

Post by cad600 »

I don't have a clue if it would work or not. But it is also wouldn't work unless you have a YZF computer. The fuel sensor gets routed into the computer first then two wires go directly to the light in the dash.

Would probably have a better chance with an aftermarket automotive one.
Yes, that is a Single Sided Swingarm FZR600 that I built.

Something is lurking, waiting, wanting to be built......It calls to me from the darkness....

I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel....Then I realize that it is the train coming to run my ass over....
SilverJS
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by SilverJS »

Hah! Sorry, forgot to mention this - I've got the R1 dash. =) So, I've already got everything, just wondering how this would physically work on the FZR400 tank.

BTW, TK, just waiting on that FMF slip-on myself to slap that R6 exhaust on the 683 - can't wait! =)
thatkid
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by thatkid »

SilverJS wrote: BTW, TK, just waiting on that FMF slip-on myself to slap that R6 exhaust on the 683 - can't wait! =)
Whoot! You can wire up a yzf sensor separate from the computer. I don't remember how exactly but it basically just runs from the battery(a switched line) to the sensor to the light on the dash. The light should go on when the fuel gets below the sensor and completes the circuit.
Do YOU Scopper?

"When some people cry, it's not because they’re weak. It’s because they’ve been strong for far too long."
mrfreeze5
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by mrfreeze5 »

I would think it would just be a matter of getting the sender installed in the tank and then wiring it up like you would with a YZF tank swap.

I need to figure out a way to mount a fuel level sender into my YZF tank, not just a low level sender. My Electrosport guage has a fuel level meter. I think the R6s had one. Dunno...
SilverJS
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by SilverJS »

mrfreeze5 wrote:I would think it would just be a matter of getting the sender installed in the tank and then wiring it up like you would with a YZF tank swap.
And that's EXACTLY what I'm asking. =) Has anybody done this? I would guess it's only those three holes, but I just wonder if it would fit, if it would seal properly, etc., etc...heck, this is cheap enough, I might just get it and try it anyways while I've got my tank apart.
mrfreeze5
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by mrfreeze5 »

SilverJS wrote:
mrfreeze5 wrote:I would think it would just be a matter of getting the sender installed in the tank and then wiring it up like you would with a YZF tank swap.
And that's EXACTLY what I'm asking. =) Has anybody done this? I would guess it's only those three holes, but I just wonder if it would fit, if it would seal properly, etc., etc...heck, this is cheap enough, I might just get it and try it anyways while I've got my tank apart.
So long as the surface is flat it should seal fine. Teh oring in the mount should do the sealing.

i say go for it. And if it doesnt work, patch over it, or replace the tank. FZR tanks are plentiful.
Fizzinatorr
Level 6.5
Level 6.5

Post by Fizzinatorr »

I had a YZF tank with sensor on my FZR 600

it's a simple sending unit, one end to power other to a bulb, then connect to the sensor and it lights up when you are low on fuel

Works, i have a wiring schematic for how to do it for a YZF 600 tank
8 Bikes so far...more coming too...Image

Finished my 2000 GSXR 750 -> Link here viewtopic.php?f=68&t=3617
SilverJS
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by SilverJS »

mrfreeze5 wrote:So long as the surface is flat it should seal fine. Teh oring in the mount should do the sealing.
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too. I've just found a combo deal on eBay for 25$ for both the sensor and the petcock (mine needed replacing anyways!), so I just ordered it.

Now - I suppose there's nuts either welded or glued, in some way, to the tank's interior, for the screws to screw into? Just a metal self-tapping screw could replace them, or...any other suggestions?
Fizzinatorr wrote:I had a YZF tank with sensor on my FZR 600

it's a simple sending unit, one end to power other to a bulb, then connect to the sensor and it lights up when you are low on fuel

Works, i have a wiring schematic for how to do it for a YZF 600 tank
Hey fizzinator, thanks, but the wiring is not a big deal. I figure I'll take the sensor's white/green wire to the R1 dash's white/green wire, and just take the sensor's other wire and ground it somewhere. That part should be relatively simple, I think. (Famous last words.... :grinnod: )
shredex
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by shredex »

im curious to know how the hell my r6 fuel light comes on when im getting low on fuel now :headscratch:
there isnt a sensor...hmmmm.
cad600
1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts

Post by cad600 »

That's pretty cool that it will work without the YZF computer. I didn't think it would. But does the stock 400 tank have enough surface area to mount the sending unit correctly? I don't remember the 600 tank having much of a flat surface to it.
Yes, that is a Single Sided Swingarm FZR600 that I built.

Something is lurking, waiting, wanting to be built......It calls to me from the darkness....

I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel....Then I realize that it is the train coming to run my ass over....
mrfreeze5
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by mrfreeze5 »

do you have one of those little telesopic magnets? I would maybe drill the bolt holes, and put the bolt through from the inside with the magnet and put the nut on from outside. I wouldnt trust self tappers to hold wel enough to keep from leaking and you need the right size bolt for a good fit to avoid leaking.
megaloxana
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by megaloxana »

Definatly possible but not sure how you would screw the sensor in. Selftapping screws are out of the question for sure. I would suggest making a little plate with bolts welded in that the sensor would attach to. Then cut a larger hole, smaller than the plate and weld that in.
'92 FZR 600
Airtech R1 kit \*/ 520 conversion \*/ 14F-47R gearing
K&N pod filters \*/ Stage 3 jet kit \*/ Factory Pro shift kit \*/ Full V&H SS exhaust
Custom '02 R6 undertail \*/ YZF gas tank \*/ Raised via dogbones \*/ custom flush turnsignals
Full R6 brake set-up \*/ SS lines \*/ Progressive fork springs \*/ ZX2 coilpack

ADD YOURSELF TO THE OFFICIAL FZRONLINE GOOGLE EARTH MAP :bunny :banjoman
SilverJS
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by SilverJS »

Megaloxana, I love that idea. I have a friend who's quite good at fabrication (I don't even know how to weld! He's the one that made the bracket for the R1 dash on my 400), he could probably do that for me. I'll keep you guys posted.
haunter
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by haunter »

I am going to try and put an R1 sensor on my tank soon

the R1 sensors are level sensors and are supposed to work well with electrosport gauges