HOW-TO: Fairing repairs with Plastex

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

Dr Rockso
Level 1.5
Level 1.5

HOW-TO: Fairing repairs with Plastex

Post by Dr Rockso »

this is an abridged repost of the information on Plastex that I posted on the fzr archives .

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

well today I'm starting my plastic repair and I figured I'd write up a how to for Plastex since I'm sure we can all use it at one time or another . Plastex can be bought from Plastex canada http://Plastex.ca/ I'm in virginia and shipping was really fast . any way here goes the ....tutorial I guess . in my case the lower right hand fairing has a piece busted out where the wheel hit it when the po tried to use a curb like a ramp , I want to keep my graphics so I started looking for a donor chunk , which I got from bootsie (thanks again man ) . my measurements were alittle off so I had to use some of the extra plastic to fill the gap , after cutting out the pieces to fit into my fairing I took a razor blade and cut the edges of the piece so that when places into my fairing there is a V along the crack . then I held the pieces together with scotch tape .

my fairing

the 2 pieces I'm going to patch it with (with a V cut into the crack )

scotch taped together

then I added the Plastex , I found it's alot easier to put just the powder in the crack and then add the liquid than it is to drip the liquid into a cup of powder and then pick it up in a little ball like they show on their video , I used the clear and my camera sucks but here it is as one piece

this concludes part 1 of how to Plastex . each piece I fix I'll post pics of , and maybe I'll get someone to take pictures while I fix them so you can see me applying the Plastex . the next step will be attaching this piece to my fairing . stay tuned folks .

many horrible razor blade cuts , a little less blood , alot more beer later , part 2 : attaching first side of patch piece (this time with alittle more application pics )

I sand papered the piece up so when I paint it I won't screw up any of the original paint ...or stickers....or whatever , here it is scotch taped into the fairing with a small piece of plastic taped to it for support

all taped in , applying the Plastex powder

putting on the Plastex epoxy

the finished product (well the bottom of it ) (oh , an note I used the clear , an hour later it's thick strong clear plastic , I love this stuff

this stuff goes on really easily , and it's strong as hell , I'll keep fixing parts and posting them , and I'll update on how they stand up , but as it sits right now I think this is pretty amazing stuff . plaztex rules !
the first piece I Plastex'd together I put a bunch of pressure on and it didn't break if I have enough left after fixing all the major cracks I'm going to use the fiberglass that came with the kit to reinforce that big chunk that was missing . but yeah , it's really strong , it actually turns into plastic and seems to flex fairly well , it's as strong or stronger than the stock plastic .

this stuff will mess with paint and stickers if you use alot of the Plastex liquid , or if you let it run everywhere and don't wipe it up . but from what I can see this is awesome stuff , totally lovin it . on hairline cracks I've been using a drill to sink a small hole (not all the way thru) and fill with Plastex

fixing the upper

fiberglassing

and here is my right side tail piece that was missing a chunk , it's clear now but thats all plastic .

they give you enough fiberglass to do a few feets worth of cracks , and most auto parts stores sell it too . I finished up all the work on the plastics , I put all the plastics on my bike , check it out , just waiting for pay day to paint the repairs .

oh yeah , this Plastex stuff goes a LONG LONG LONG way , I did all this stuff with the promo kit and after all of those cracks I still have 3/4 of the kit left , maybe more , I thought for sure doing the fiberglass part would run me low or out , nope .

new mirrors too

ok , well this is pretty much the last update untill later down the road when I give a "how it stood up " report .

all the plastic is back on , I painted it (went alittle crazy with the blue trying to copy the dot matrix fade out on the graphics , but oh well , it's good enough for me ) I just used duplicolor touch up paints and a can of "flash red" duplicolor car spray paint . I couldn't find a pearl white touch up pen , so it's white white , but it's a close enough match that I don't care

this is probably the most obvious repair , sadly it's in an easy to see place , but from 5 feet you can't see it

heres is that piece on my tail that wasn't there (along the right edge at the back )

there was alot of chipped paint here , now not so much , not a perfect match but better than it was

well I guess that wasn't the last update ... I kept staring at this

it really started to piss me off since the rest of the bike looks so nice . I kept trying stuff and then sanding it off till I got something I'm happy with , it's still not perfect by any means , but it's way the hell better than that crap I first did
Got busted plastics ??? go here : viewtopic.php?f=8&t=209
joeyraines
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Re: HOW-TO: Fairing repairs with Plastex

Post by joeyraines »

wow, it looks pretty good... Kudos on the nice work and the money saved.. Im goin to buy a kit just to have around in case.. But i cant wait to find out your durability results
Dr Rockso
Level 1.5
Level 1.5

Post by Dr Rockso »

well i did those repairs a year ago and they're still perfect .
Got busted plastics ??? go here : viewtopic.php?f=8&t=209
ShogunTX
Level 4.5
Level 4.5

Post by ShogunTX »

Portions of this write-up are now available in the WIKI

HOW-TO: Fairing Repairs with Plastex
91fzr600r
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by 91fzr600r »

i like the aqua teen hunger force on yer dry erase bord..... LOL
STAY FAST AND KEEP THE SHINY SIDE UP!! jack @ classic auto
Brutal Tooth
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Post by Brutal Tooth »

I have used Plastex and that part I love most is the fact that I can replace missing tabs. Anything cracks bigger than 5", I use fiberglass and fiberglass resin from Home Depot, so I don't waste my Plastex. Plastex is pretty strong and comparable to the old fiberglass repairing technique, but fiberglass is a little stronger than the Plastex (not by much). For this reason, I only use it on smaller cracks and repairs.

I like having both because both do something better than the other.

Oh yes.... I almost forgot. When repairing longer breaks, use the "stitching" technique. This is used in fiberglass repairing too. Gives a much stronger bond, though a little more Plastex is required.

Bad news guys.... I have started using fiberglass on big repairs to save my plastex.... it turns out that my plastex jobs were cracking and required reinforcements of fiberglass banghead .... Id only use plastex on small jobs on low traffic areas, and replacing missing tabs...