stop light doesnt sense my fzr

FZR600 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

shredex
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

stop light doesnt sense my fzr

Post by shredex »

The only reason I hate riding at night is because there are few cars driving down the road, so Im always in front.
When I stop at a red light, it will not ever turn green unless a car pulls up behind me close enough to the white line.
I cant tell you how many illigal left turns I made, red lights that I ran.
is there anything that can help with this???
ShogunTX
Level 4.5
Level 4.5

Re: stop light doesnt sense my fzr

Post by ShogunTX »

Find yourself a oversized IDK Mrs........
sweekster
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by sweekster »

Some street lights have light sensors on then and others work off sensors embedded into the road (ever notice those circles and lines cut into the road just behind the crosswalk?). Try aiming the bike so it sits on top of those sensors otherwise...wait for the green.
Duane...
Bike:
1994 Yamaha FZR 1000 EXUP
Factory Pro Stage 1 Jetting | K&N Filter | Corbin Seat | ProTek Keyless Gas Cap | GSXR Mirrors
My Thread
Cage:
2005 Saab 9-7x 5.3i Arc AWD

THE WIKI IS YOUR FRIEND
THE SEARCH IS YOUR SIGNIFICANT OTHER
USE THEM!!
zero9243
Level 8.5
Level 8.5

Post by zero9243 »

gain some weight....
Upgrades:
  • Barnett Clutch------------------------------------------R6 Blue Dots, Front Master Brake Cylinder+Reservoir
    WP Adjustable Rear Shock----------------------------Vortex 520 Conversion with RK GB520GXW Chain
    V&H Header (4-1)--------------------------------------Swingarm Spool Mounts
    Cobra F1r Exhaust Can--------------------------------R6 Voltage Regulator
    Flo-Commander with Remote-------------------------Custom Airtech Passenger Seat
    Stage 7 Jet kit with Diffuser Caps--------------------Factory Pro Nickel Emulsion Tubes
    Wiseco 630 Kit------------------------------------------Custom Frame Slider Mounts
    Modking Hydraulic Clutch Kit--------------------------Hella Projection Headlight with Xentec HID Kit (H9 Bulb)
    Modking Aluminum Radiator Overflow Bottle--------

95FZR600
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by 95FZR600 »

If you can see where the road is slit for the wire try and pull right on top of it and then I peddle back on move onto it again. Works every time.
2002 Yamaha R6-----2003 Yamaha R6

shredex
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by shredex »

Iv seen something before that you can buy thats a magnet you stick to your bike and its so the light can sense you better.
and Iv tried moving my bike directly on top of the slits.
is weight really a problem?
I mean, guys can ride on there newer bikes that weigh about 300lb and they only weigh about 180.
and the fzr weighs almost 500 lbs, and I weigh 130. its havier than the guys with the newer bikes, but the light changes for them
thatkid
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by thatkid »

The sensors sense the metal mass. The fzr isn't a massive bike. Your best bet is to park the bike with the motor directly over the cut in the road. The boxes do work from what I've heard. The free route is to call the city and tell them your bike won't set the sensor off and they can adjust the sensitivity. Or, in IL, the law is if you've waited a reasonable amount of time for a light to change and it hasn't you can proceed with caution. Now they don't tell you what reasonable is, but the MSF instructor said about 45 seconds late at night, if it doesn't turn, you can go and should be ok. It comes down to how big of a dick the cop feels like being if they do pull you over for it. The laws could be similar in other states but you'd have to ask.
Do YOU Scopper?

"When some people cry, it's not because they’re weak. It’s because they’ve been strong for far too long."
tommyj27
Level 9.5
Level 9.5

Post by tommyj27 »

Ditto on the law here in MN, can proceed through a red arrow after an indeterminate "reasonable" period of time.
Genesis
Level 8.0
Level 8.0

Post by Genesis »

another thing you can do is just flick your high beams on and off, it changes the megnetic signiture enough that the usally tigers the light, trust me because ether i have extremely good luck withor it works, because I do it all the time
1990 Yamaha FZR600 Genesis, Daily Driver
My FZR6 Rebuild

1985 GMC 4x4 T-15 X-Cab Sierra
1999 Chevy 4x4 Blazer (wifes car)

"If a man can build it, I can take it apart and sometimes even put it back together and fix it" --Unknown

"'I wish none of this had happened.' 'So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.....'" J.R.R. Tolkien
ragedigital
4000+ Posts
4000+ Posts

Post by ragedigital »

If it doesn't recognize me after a round of light changing, I proceed through the light.

What's a cop going to say? We should see what Deputy thinks... where's he been anyway?
Thanks for joining and participating in the most "active" FZR Community on the internet!
docrider
100+ Posts
100+ Posts

Post by docrider »

airtech R1 solo tail, russell racer front brake lines, dynojet stage 3 jets, K & N pod filters, V & H SS2R exhaust system, 89 gsxr 750 rear wheel
shredex
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by shredex »

thats what I was looking at.
I think all it is is a magnet.
I should put a guitar humbucker on the bottom of my bike and see if that works
megaloxana
2000+ Posts
2000+ Posts

Post by megaloxana »

yeah i have this happen to me all the time. I've literally gotten off my bike and hit the crosswalk button before a few times.
'92 FZR 600
Airtech R1 kit \*/ 520 conversion \*/ 14F-47R gearing
K&N pod filters \*/ Stage 3 jet kit \*/ Factory Pro shift kit \*/ Full V&H SS exhaust
Custom '02 R6 undertail \*/ YZF gas tank \*/ Raised via dogbones \*/ custom flush turnsignals
Full R6 brake set-up \*/ SS lines \*/ Progressive fork springs \*/ ZX2 coilpack

ADD YOURSELF TO THE OFFICIAL FZRONLINE GOOGLE EARTH MAP :bunny :banjoman
reelrazor
Wrench
Wrench

Post by reelrazor »

megaloxana wrote:yeah i have this happen to me all the time. I've literally gotten off my bike and hit the crosswalk button before a few times.

Yep, me too! There were stops in San Diego that I would intentionally pull up in the right lane so i didn't have to trot so far.

Do the emergency vehicles in your area have strobe lights on them? Those are to 'green' the lights for them as they approach-the signals have strobe receivers that change the lights. If your city/town/area is set up like this you can often switch the lights from about 200 yards back by flicking: hi, lo, hi, lo, hi, lo beam and gassing the bike. I am crappin ya negative on this, try it-it's great to not even have to slow down.
http://www.michiganmobileservice.com/

“A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.”-Douglas Adams

http://www.youtube.com/user/reelrazor
yamaha_george
5000+ Posts
5000+ Posts

Post by yamaha_george »

sweekster wrote:Some street lights have light sensors on then and others work off sensors embedded into the road (ever notice those circles and lines cut into the road just behind the crosswalk?). Try aiming the bike so it sits on top of those sensors otherwise...wait for the green.

hi,
If it is the road wire type they need a magnetic trigger a strip of steel inside the bottom of your fairing that has been magetised else one of those "super magnets" glued to the lowest point of the bike.