Upgrade to digital speedo - what can I use?

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

saftie
Level 1.5
Level 1.5

Upgrade to digital speedo - what can I use?

Post by saftie »

Hi,

After finishing a 750RU, I am now working on a 1988 FZR 1000 and want to mod it a bit.

I am looking for a digital speedo/tach that works for sure on my bike.
I read about trail tech, but they seem to sell bike specific product, not sure. Already sent them an email.

Anyone here any experience or has done it?

Thanks,
Gabor
Jordan_Ciaramitaro
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Re: Upgrade to digital speedo - what can I use?

Post by Jordan_Ciaramitaro »

I put a $22 eBay one on my old Ducati about 8 months ago and it's working great even through several rain storm rides.

I hooked my oil pressure sensor to the check engine light. Even added a fuel sender so I now have fuel level instead of just a light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jordan_Ciaramitaro
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

I have an fzr1000 that is up for sale. If it doesn't sale soon, I will upgrade the gauges to this one. The speedo needle bounces around on my stock gauges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
saftie
Level 1.5
Level 1.5

Post by saftie »

That's actually a good looking piece you got there.
I assume it has magnet for speed. How does it get rpm? I heard of different ways of doing it.
I'd also be interested in engine temp, oil and neutral.
Would be interested to learn more about the fuel sender
saftie
Level 1.5
Level 1.5

Post by saftie »

Jordan, this is cool looking too. It reminds me of the cluster on my MV Agusta.

So it looks like any universal piece should work as long as I can calibrate wheel size.

I'm not afraid of the wiring, I have wired several bikes from scratch, but wanted to make sure I am not missing anything I have to look for.
Jordan_Ciaramitaro
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

Wiring was pretty easy, its on an old 95 900ss. I grabbed the signal from one of the pick ups. Something else I did was wire the headlights to the bright side so the bright light comes on when the headlights are on. I am running high compression pistons with HID headlights, and if you ever heard one of these old bikes start they need all the hep they can get. So I keep the headlights off while cranking, and I always know when they are on because the bright light indicator shows up on my dash.

I think all of these Chinese knock offs are all the same/similar electrically. I will say there was an empty pin in the harness, and no wire for the check engine light. I disassembled the cluster and it was labelled on the board, so I moved a pin on the harness for the cel to work which is wired to my oil pressure switch as i mentioned earlier. My biggest worry was the lcd delaminating, but this bike is a street fighter and is out in the sun a lot, no issues thus far. Do some shopping around because I almost bought this same cluster for $40, then I saw it in an auction for $22 with shipping. Easily best $22 I have spent on that old terd.

It does use magnets and a speed sensor for speed. I used a spot of JB weld on the magnets for extra security. Its been over 120mph many times with out issue of the magnets coming off or shifting. I do powder coating and will eventually coat over the magnets. I cant say enough good about this cluster so far, it has more than exceeded my expectations. I can only imagine it is made by the same folks that make the OEMs or trail techs, the board also looked pretty good, not like typical cheap chinese stuff. There is a calibrate function for the speedo. I strapped a gps on my bike and dialed it so it is spot on at all speeds, more accurate than any other motorcycle I have been on, or at least as accurate as a garmin gps. I would love to have this upgrade on my fzr.
saftie
Level 1.5
Level 1.5

Post by saftie »

Thanks for the info. Wow, the 900ss is one of those bikes I want to own at some point.
I have looked around and read reviews, but whenever I liked a speedo, the reviews were not great.
I was looking at the koso db01 but didn't like what other people had to say about it.
So far I like trail tech the best, but am confused why they sell them for years and models when I thought it was an universal device. Hoping to hear from trail tech support today. There is also a Danmoto one, but need to do more research.

The fzr is a new to me bike and I have not had the chance to look into the electrical things yet, mostly because my 750ru didn't need any work done there. I'm mainly interested to learn how it gets the rpm readings. Something I'll look into soon. I wanted to see if there is a way to use the original wiring for the universal speedo tach readings vs having to use theirs which means running a wire around the spark plug wires, at least that's my understanding so far.
Jordan_Ciaramitaro
50+ Posts
50+ Posts

I can tell you the fzr tach gets its signal from the igniter/computer,cdi,ecu(whatever you want to call it). It comes from a pick up sensor on the right side of the engine, then to the ECU, and ECU sends the tach signal to the gauge.
saftie
Level 1.5
Level 1.5

Post by saftie »

Sweet, thanks.
So most likely universal computers (or whatever) might not be able to understand that signal. At least that's my assumption.
DonTZ125

Post by DonTZ125 »

I'm pretty sure the Yellow/Black tach signal is a 12v square wave, readable by just about any aftermarket tach. If the wire going to the tach is grey (older models), then it's a high-ish voltage (15-100v) flyback pulse, and may / may not be readable / survivable by whatever you're using.
saftie
Level 1.5
Level 1.5

Post by saftie »

Nice
saftie
Level 1.5
Level 1.5

Post by saftie »

Just got off the phone with trail tech. I decided to buy there. Just need to measure my radiator hose tonight so they can give me the correct size inline temp sensor.