Carb 2 or bad valves?

FZR400 Forum

Moderators: Site Director, FZR Forum Moderators

tazwars99
Site Newbie

Carb 2 or bad valves?

Post by tazwars99 »

Ok I have a project 89 3en2 fzr 400. It has 63000 km on the clocks. Sorted the no charging with a second hand stator.
Ran to a fashion. Carbs have been cleaned. Valve clearances were none existence on the inlet valves so I've done them. Trouble is it's still back firing back up carb 2 ( worst than before) and still doesn't run right. Was thinking valves were shot so got a new set. As I've started tear down I took the carbs off to find the inlet rubber on carb 2 ( on head) still very wet from fuel. Have not started bike in a week. So could I just have a bad issue with the carb? The choke also doesnt seem to work as it should.Help would be appreciated as I don't want to take the head off for nothing. Many thanks

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Evilchicken0
Level 3.5
Level 3.5

Re: Carb 2 or bad valves?

Post by Evilchicken0 »

If the choke is sticking then it will spit back through the carb. It might run on all 4 higher in the rev range but drop to 3 lower down.
Obviously check through the choke mechanism, take the cable off the carbs then the mechanism as well to see if it makes a difference. It might be a very high float setting, the float valve, or a cracked float (petrol gets inside weighting the float so it sinks), or somebody stripped the carbs and got the idle / main jets reversed, I know it's easy on the 3TJ carbs.
This carb sounds like the problem, so if you can't cure the fault change the carbs for another set.
Don't read everything you believe
FZR400RR 3TJ Bimota SB6
tazwars99
Site Newbie

Post by tazwars99 »

Just a update.... done a compression test. Very low across the board. 50 to be 70 psi. Bike is booked in with a bike builder in sept. He's going to go through the carbs and tear the engine down. Hopefully get back by the end of the month running beautiful.

Evilchicken0
Level 3.5
Level 3.5

Post by Evilchicken0 »

Sounds expensive, get an estimate first.
Remember a 3en2 isn't worth more than a grand
Don't read everything you believe
FZR400RR 3TJ Bimota SB6
tazwars99
Site Newbie

Post by tazwars99 »

Cost isn't a issue. The value of the bike when all done doesn't matter. It's being restored as a gift to my partner and won't ever be sold.